Team-BHP - Which is the Best of the Lot ??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Which is the Best of the Lot ?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/31427-best-lot.html)

"Some say the Indica is better than the Getz " - OK but what about the Brand image and peace of mind whilst servicing?

" Oh the Civic is anyday better than the Optra Magnum " - OK, but what about the lack of a Fuel Efficient Diesel with Civic?

With VW being the latest to step in with Indian car market, we now have a wide range of manufacturers starting from our very humble Indians like HM, TATA, Mahindras to the Japanese (incl Maruti), Koreans, Americans, French, Italians, Swedish, Brits (already with Bentley and about to enter with Jags), Czech’s and our very loved Germans.

But what it is it that makes us choose a specific brand, even though there are cheaper and better products from a competitor available?

What makes you choose Palio over the Indica, even when you know that FIAT's would have a poor resale value than the TATA? Power to thrill or something else?
And what makes us choose the Civic over the Optra? Pure brand image, looks or even something more?

This is not a thread to discuss about which car is better, but which manufacturer takes the pride? Which is the one you will go blindfolded with, when they launch a new car, rather than speculating how the market reacts to a newly launched TATA?

I know it is a bit diffuclt to answer, but let’s see what we think. I know pricing is always critical, but we still do stretch this just to get a specific product
MODS : - I couldn't find a similar or existing thread with the search function, but if there is one, please delete this thread straight away please:

PS : This is not to say any specific brand or the car is bad, so please no personal attacks are intended.

I guess the choice so reflects the individual.For some, aspects would score over brands,for others, vice versa.

well every brand have pros and cons.
It is really hard, to choose as a brand among honda, suzuki, hyundai, fiat for B, C and D Segments.
Brand is also a major factor in people's mind.
Honda have pros and cons over suzuki hyundai fiat vice versa with suzuki hyundai and fiat.

really a tough one.

Quote:

But what it is it that makes us choose a specific brand, even though there are cheaper and better products from a competitor available?
Brands like Honda/Toyota are highly respected in the Indian market for many reasons. They almost never give discounts on their cars and hence resale is always good and none of their cars have ever been a flop so that has halped in making the two brands as the most wanted and admired in India.

Having recently purchased my first car (a car in the family after more than 2 decades), I certainly say that my decision was not just on brand or name of manufacturer or price alone. If it was merely "nationalism" and/or "promise to deliver" I may have gone in for Xeta. If it was just good driving experience, I may have gone in for Palio (have owned Fiat padmini Safari in the family previously). If it was only price, we may have gone in for M800 or Alto. If it was just snob value, it might have been the Getz.
We are not happy with the choice of wagonR. It lacks several features / comforts / frills available in some other cars. But the "some other cars" do not have some very funda features. (for example, it took me a loooong time to accept that the real reason I ditched xeta was bad paint choice, and poor paint finish) - the bad image Tata and Indica had was something I had decided to ignore. If it was just any model from Suzuki, I could have taken the swift or estillo if the choice was a latest car. For some reason, we did not like looks of both.
I think that our market is maturing, albeit slowly. It does have its own kinks - like refusal to accept the UVA as over priced (I may be speaking for myself). But we (seem to) welcome the i10, at almost identical features at almost same price levels with open hands.
Yes, we are no longer looking at brands, but at specific models and features they offer.
And people may do well to remember that just like me, who could not accept the poor colour choice for Xeta, but airing very different reasons to reject it (did not even bother to ask for refund of the 2K advance)
it is not easy to articulate the factors influencing our decisions, which lie deep down in out minds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 630295)
it is not easy to articulate the factors influencing our decisions, which lie deep down in out minds.

Exactly, but then I know a couple of friends who have always gone for Maruti's, inspite of the fact that there are some better models from competitors available. But the answer to their choice(s) is 'Peace of mind', and this is where the Brand Image kicks in . No I dont mean the snob value of owing a maruti, but the fantastic and proven A.S.S.

Interesting topic.

As to be expected, no one brand comes to mind for having all factors together. Factors being VFM, modernity, drivability, fuel efficiency, reliability, aesthetics, service reach and TCO.

Maruti has a majority of these esp since the Swift.

Personally, I'd love it for Tata to come to the fore; Tata being an Indian company.

Very Nice Topic - Very Debatable also. The discussions on this can be endless.

But yet the main criteria of selecting a car in India will always be Price first - and the story more or less remains the same all over the world. But different Priorities in terms of vehicle features.

The more money you spend, the more technologically advanced vehicle you get, more safety features you get.

You cannot get better than a Mercedes / BMW / Audi / VW in terms of safety, luxury and Status' !!

You want performance - get a Mitsubishi, Porsche, Ferrari etc.

You want economy - get a Skoda, Fiat, Toyota.

When you speak of Maruti, Hyundai in India which are both India's largest Manufacturers - they are not world class cars by any means. They are Bare Basic vehicles - Just an engine with AC on four wheels. Nothing else. But then what do you expect in 3 - 4 Lacs !! You get a Bike abroad for this.

Indian customers are a very tough lot - here people want maximum bang for their Buck. Foreign countries are a little different I feel - people give Safety a very big Priority when selecting vehicles.

In India on the other hand People do not look at saftey at all. Why is it that a Swift VXi sells more than a Swift ZXi ? Because of the 70k or so Price difference !!!

Yes, the Indian Market is maturing now and we will see a vast improvement in the coming 2-3 years. Look at the i10 ( O ), Swift ZXi, Indica ( O ), Safari ( O ), All have safety features now. Even Honda known for its stringent pricing, has given Airbags Optional in Vtec.

And I am 100% sure that in the coming years our Indian Companies - TATA, MUL, M&M will be right there up with the competetion.

Quote:

Nothing else. But then what do you expect in 3 - 4 Lacs !! You get a Bike abroad for this.
You can get a R6 with that kind of money so we can expect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 630486)
Indian customers are a very tough lot - here people want maximum bang for their Buck. Foreign countries are a little different I feel - people give Safety a very big Priority when selecting vehicles.

In India on the other hand People do not look at saftey at all. Why is it that a Swift VXi sells more than a Swift ZXi ? Because of the 70k or so Price difference !!!

Correct, but don't you think that the Indian car manufacturers are getting their accounts full, just because our Government doesn't wan't the 'aam junta' to be safe? I mean all the Government cars are made a hell lot safer, so it is not that they can't do it. Is a westerner's life more important than an Indian's ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 630486)
And I am 100% sure that in the coming years our Indian Companies - TATA, MUL, M&M will be right there up with the competetion.

Does this mean you/we will choose an every new TATA launched without speculating on the nitt gritty issues on build quality? I guess we will wont mind these on a HONDA, because its HONDA, right?

PS : - No personal attacks intended mate, its just to complement the thread's startup reason

Mods can we add a poll to get people voting as well to get an overall quantitative analysis?

Gr88 topic to debate upon....

As I had said before in the tata Safari Thread.. I would reiterate my concern on Tatas & Mahindras...

I know these companies are new in Car segments and are improving day by day on their Quality, but still I would give my vote to Suzuki India...

They have hit the right point in the Indian Mindset
- Quality... and that too at the right price..
- More goodies in less price ( swift will remain the first hatchback in small car segment to be launched with ABS & Airbags)
- Gr88 After Sales service
- Gud resale value...

I absolutely love the BMWs, the Audis & the Porchses.... but they cater to a different league altogether...In that league.. the thinking, the mindset of the people is a lot different from the ones who buy sub 10-15 lac cars..
- They dont mind paying extra 5 odd lacs for more gizmos in he car..
- They absolutely dont worry about the efficiency.....
- they dont care about the resale value...
& they get almost gr88 after sales service....

But if we take the majority.. I think Maruti.. rules the Indian Markets ....
I know they have a lot to improve.. but with Swift, New Vitara.. they have proved that they are also on the right track.....