Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:11   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, forget the future....they dont even have a "present". HM has merely tied up with Mitsu to distribute their products. Mitsubishi has not invested a dime in our country.
GTO, The HM's attitude is quite a bad thing you see. Mits always had these wonderful products outside of India but we have been given the most conservative watered-down trims. HM drives people nuts!

On that note, does anyone know if we can retrofit a EVO kit on to a Lancer or a sportier kit for the Cedia? I tried checking in the UK and kits do not cost much for the Lancer (I should say it was not costing much as the Evo VI is rare in the UK, the more modern ones are little more easy to find).

Don't have to ask, but does HM offer to help with the kits in anyway?

BH.
Old 24th February 2008, 18:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
GTO, The HM's attitude is quite a bad thing you see. Mits always had these wonderful products outside of India but we have been given the most conservative watered-down trims. HM drives people nuts!

On that note, does anyone know if we can retrofit a EVO kit on to a Lancer or a sportier kit for the Cedia? I tried checking in the UK and kits do not cost much for the Lancer (I should say it was not costing much as the Evo VI is rare in the UK, the more modern ones are little more easy to find).

Don't have to ask, but does HM offer to help with the kits in anyway?

BH.
Hi BH,

"HM"?? "HELP"?????? "KITS"????? Hmm sorry pal, i dont get the relation here!
Ok ok no kidding, the kits available for 2004 lancer ralliart will surely fit a cedia. I am 100% about that. I have seen a few online actually.Do check em out.I do not know about the other ones though.
seeya.
Old 28th February 2008, 17:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
My father is based in Coorg and he told me that last week guys from the Hindustan Motors dealership there rang and asked if they could bring him a new 4x4 to discuss.
He said that that there were 2 sales guys buy 3 other guys who were testing the market.
They wanted to know whether he would use it for work on the plantation or leisure and what he would be willing to pay for it.
Apparently it was a dual cab pick-up with a 3 Ltr Diesel engine and was fully loaded.
The guys told him that the model was from Thailand and that HM was evaluating whether to build/assemble it in Chennai.
And no! No photos.
Has anyone else heard of this.
I have been to Bangkok and Phuket / Pattaya and have seen a good number of Mitsubishi 4 x 4 there. Pick up trucks are very popular there and I believe there is a good market for it in India as well especially in hilly plantation areas of Tea or Coffee estates. Even in plains, it could be used well as cargo-mover for small businesses. Would be good to see it in India as it would surely open a new segment here.
Old 29th February 2008, 09:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Pick up trucks in India..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post
I have been to Bangkok and Phuket / Pattaya and have seen a good number of Mitsubishi 4 x 4 there. Pick up trucks are very popular there and I believe there is a good market for it in India as well especially in hilly plantation areas of Tea or Coffee estates. Even in plains, it could be used well as cargo-mover for small businesses. Would be good to see it in India as it would surely open a new segment here.
The market for small goods vehicle has been killed by Piaggio and Tata and Mahindra people, who have floated these little three and four wheelers, with no safety requirements in view. These vehicles are most of the times, driven by untrained drivers, overloaded, with no side or rear-views and very high Center of Gravity, posing the biggest safety threat to road safety. The same vehicles are also being modified into weird forms of share-auto and share-taxis, again with no road safety in consideration.

The pick up trucks you are talking about will never find their way in India, as the people who move goods could possibly buy 5-6 of these little 'movers' for the price of 1 pick-up truck.
A Pick-up Truck cost more than a normal Sedan and it will cost somewhere around 10-11 Lakhs if it lands in India with the same configuration, which is supposed to be 'luxury' sector in India...!!!
Old 29th February 2008, 15:55   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I sincerely doubt any business man farmer will buy a 10 lakh Ford, Toyota or Mitsu pick up truck to ferry goods. It will make more sense for them to buy one of the cheaper Indian options from Mahindra or Tata.

The market for these import pickups will be limited to the wealthy recreational buyer. The Scorpio Getaway and Telcoline 4x4 are good crew cab pick ups. How many of them do you see on the roads?
Old 29th February 2008, 16:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

at 5L for a bolero camper - something that any tea-shop can fix- to getting a vehicle with "high reliability" might take a while getting used to.
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:39   #52
BHPian

Agreed that India is not yet ready for pick up trucks as in other countries and this segment would take good 3 - 4 yrs to mature. But whoever knew 5 - 8 yrs back that we would have this auto sector boom. People have money and plantation owners are filthy rich. Punjab and Haryana combined is the biggest market for Mitsubishi Pajeros and other SUVs and the owners are, your guess is as good as mine, farmers.

Surely there would be cheaper options that TATAs and Mahindras provide but it is the same story of Maruti & Merc creating their own space in the same geography.
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:59   #53
BANNED

Outlander

Folks
This months AC india has the news of OUTLANDER launch in August with a price tag of around 20 lakhs...Sad it doesnt come with a diesel heart...
Cheers
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:15   #54
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubushi OutLander : Outlandish ICE !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Folks
This months AC india has the news of OUTLANDER launch ...
Link to above article : :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

The ICE configuration is great :

According to sources in HM, the Outlander will come in essentially one trim level which will be fully loaded to include a high-end entertainment system, replete with four six-inch speakers, twin dome tweeters, a 10-inch sub-woofer and a 650 watt amplifier as standard.
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:27   #55
BHPian

finally mitsu india is waking up and smelling the coffee! by getting into the market here in india as early as they did, they are now sitting on a goldmine- they just need to capitalize on it with some real quality offerings. the outlander is hopefully the start of these, and should be followed by the new shape lancer shortly. what i fail to understand is how it took them so long to figure out that they have a head start in this market with their early launch of the lancer. so strong is the brand equity built by that car that even now, 11 odd years on, people still see quality in the mitsu name (my dad has been using his lancer for 11 years now, and still swears by it!). personally, i think mitsu has a potentially bright future here, but needs to start taking the indian market far more seriously to realize its potential- im talking quality offerings, high end trims, and yes, SPORT VERSIONS!
Old 6th March 2008, 14:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Outlander to undercut CR-V

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Hindustan Motors (HM) is planning to launch the Mitsubishi Outlander at a sub-Rs 20 lakh price in a bid to steal market share from its main rival, the Honda CR-V. Unlike the CR-V, which is completely imported (and hence attracts a 120 percent tax penalty), the Outlander will be locally assembled by HM in its Thiruvallur plant where the Lancer and Cedia are also assembled. Locally-assembled cars pay far less tax than imported cars and this is the key reason why HM can price the Outlander competitively.

Looks like Misubishi is serious about its India plans (finally)
Old 6th March 2008, 15:54   #57
BHPian

They are not yet serious about sales. My friend is buying Cedia and the response i got from the sales guy is "horrible". They never bothered to call back on discounts for the month of Mar. They are selling a 10L car and not a Alto/800. God knows when they will learn.
Old 7th March 2008, 09:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
Looks like Misubishi is serious about its India plans (finally)
I would also think so given the ads for Cedia in print and outdoor media.

Also today on my way to work, I saw a Cedia with roll cage, snazzy paint work, taped lights etc on the O.M.Road. It had "Mitsubishi Motors" written on the sides and front. On the rear windscreen, it had a "Drive Mistsubishi. Keep winning" sticker and on the rear bumper was another sticker, "We didn't just build a car; we started a religion".

All that remains, I guess, is to get some followers for the religion.

I understand that the Cedia is a nice driver's car, but one thing it lacks is looks / road-presence. Especially considering that it is from the company that gave us the sweet-looking Lancer, which inspite of so many years of being here, does turn heads.

As others mentioned, the least they could do is dump a disinterested partner like HM and either get someone else or go it alone.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th March 2008 at 09:36.
Old 7th March 2008, 10:58   #59
BHPian

I had a similar experience of HM- Mitsu dealers totally unenthusiastic about the car/ sale when I had gone last year to purchase. Due to bad experience and poorer service network, I purchased a Hyundai again.
I definitely would like to consider Outlander in case, it is worth the price with the necessary features read(auto with paddle shift)!.
Old 7th March 2008, 12:27   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You know whats funny? My brother's office colleague drove his brand new Cedia to work yesterday. Over the lunch break, he was pretty excited in showing everyone his new purchase....he heard more "why's" than "congratulations" !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks