Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 13:00   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
They were the ones who got the CRDi technology in India else we would have only had Tatas with their TDis.
You forgot the Multijet engines from Fiat....!
Old 26th December 2008, 13:09   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Overpowered cars should also be added in there.
Hyundai has given us some really powerful Diesels. Haven't they?
They were the ones who got the CRDi technology in India else we would have only had Tatas with their TDis.
I would agree with you in case of Diesel cars, and would slightly correct your statement They were the ones who got the CRDi technology in India for common man . Else CRDI was first introduced in India by Mercedes
Old 26th December 2008, 13:12   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I would agree with you in case of Diesel cars, and would slightly correct your statement They were the ones who got the CRDi technology in India for common man . Else CRDI was first introduced in India by Mercedes
We're going terribly OT here.

I'm ready to pay for a fully loaded version (Like the Zxi) provided the pricing is justified. That rules out the Fabia. And with the current OTR prices of 5.43 (Chennai after discounts) I dont expect the i20 to match those. Otherwise, the i20 is a great looker, but the Swift is the best one to modify
Old 26th December 2008, 13:48   #139
BHPian

i20 prices not yet made available

I have checked the details of the i20 with the company showroom:
The only details I could gather are:

Prices will be known only on the launch date(29th). Thats the way it works in Hyundai. Its always kept a secret till the last minute. Rest are all roumors.

Test drives will start next week

It seemed to me that they are not in the race with the Swift. They will be competing with the likes of Fabia & other premium compact from Toyota / Honda / VW, provided they are launched in India. They are focusing on the quality concious customer rather than a price concious customer

Only petrol variants with kappa series engine will be available.

No diesel for domestic market in the near future
Old 26th December 2008, 14:14   #140
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the launch is pretty close.
Just caught one doing the rounds near the Delhi-Gurgaon road. It looks quite a big hatch, kind of when you chop off NHC's boot. Sorry no pics though :(
Old 26th December 2008, 16:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah for the common man !
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
You forgot the Multijet engines from Fiat....!
Yeah FIAT ROCKS.. Peace out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Looks like the launch is pretty close.
Just caught one doing the rounds near the Delhi-Gurgaon road. It looks quite a big hatch, kind of when you chop off NHC's boot. Sorry no pics though :(
its huge, very spacious. Similar to U-VA.

Last edited by kpzen : 26th December 2008 at 16:59.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:48   #142
BANNED

im waiting for the pricing now, i hope it does not kick into the i10 category at all. not that hyundai is stupid but well never know what they think. i dont want to repent paying 6 laks for my car
Old 26th December 2008, 18:44   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has been consistent in making cars that are either underpowered or overpriced OR both. Take example of Getz, petrol sibling is underpowered and CRDI is overpriced.
I agree. And what about the i10. One of my friends had bought the i10 Magna when it was launched it had a 1.1 litre engine and priced at 5.75 Lacs on road ! It was priced just a few 1000s Rs below the Accent. Agreed it had sunroof and all that but still it had a santro engine. Paying close to 6 lacs for a Santro engine suddenly Fabia looks well priced.

And now what they do, they bring in a 1.2 litre kappa engine and they call the variant that costs just 4.4 lacs as "Magna" and the top end as "Asta". Thats outrageous. Why should they do that Why cant they call the top end "Magna" now as well?

I know bringing in an advanced engine is a step in the right direction,
but how can they bring it so soon just a year after its launch? They should alteast offer an engine swap as say 25% price or something for the Old Magna owners.
Old 26th December 2008, 20:07   #144
BHPian

Called up trident hyundai, hosur road, Bangalore. Those guys were clueless on the i20 launch, they informed me probably Jan mid/end. I hope this is not a staggered multi city launch like the new honda city!

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting.
Old 26th December 2008, 20:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
I have checked the details of the i20 with the company showroom:
The only details I could gather are:

Prices will be known only on the launch date(29th). Thats the way it works in Hyundai. Its always kept a secret till the last minute. Rest are all roumors.

Test drives will start next week

It seemed to me that they are not in the race with the Swift. They will be competing with the likes of Fabia & other premium compact from Toyota / Honda / VW, provided they are launched in India. They are focusing on the quality concious customer rather than a price concious customer

Only petrol variants with kappa series engine will be available.

No diesel for domestic market in the near future
I guess they realize that given the pricing of the i10, the i20 cannot take on the Swift. So its better to provide a decent alternative to the Fabia, and rake in some decent figures.

But seriously the 1.2 Kappa ??!!
Old 26th December 2008, 20:28   #146
BHPian

According to my source, it's been confirmed that i20 will be coming with 1.2L kappa engine. 100% sure about it.
Old 26th December 2008, 21:39   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
For someone like me who's looking a Swift-range vehicle, the Fabia is overpriced, the Getz is underpowered (Petrol) and thats about it. The WagonR/Santro and all are like 2 segments below. So the only other option is the i10. With the Kappa engine, and really wonderful interiors, the i10 makes a great city drive and sells well. Mind you only the Era/Magna versions sell well. I've rarely seen the Sportz/Asta versions.
Hi Fountainheader,
You forgot the indica Vista mate! it compares well with swift and even beats it on many parameters. Any reasons for not considering it?

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 27th December 2008, 00:28   #148
BHPian

Here's a small review (and a write-up of the car of the year award) from BSM - City rules!

Hyundai came 3rd after A-star and City for car of the year. Here's the excerpt -

Hyundai sprang a surprise on us by announcing that they were launching the i20 in the last week of December, and then dropped our jaws by sending in a test car for the COTY evaluations. That meant almost all of the jury drove the i20 for the first time during our evaluations. A hurried road test revealed that the Kappa engine is not exactly energetic enough for the sorted-out dynamics of the new car. It certainly is economical and pretty stylish to look at too. To quote the jury: “This is one car that we will be recommending a lot in the near future. But an F1 inspired nose and a very ‘green’ motor does not make it as compelling a choice as, say, the Hyundai i10. Winning the third spot in a very competitive year is an achievement in itself though.”

Last edited by reppy : 27th December 2008 at 00:32.
Old 27th December 2008, 05:23   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A hurried road test revealed that the Kappa engine is not exactly energetic enough for the sorted-out dynamics of the new car. It certainly is economical and pretty stylish to look at too
Why cant they send a mule with a better (read 1.4 / 1.6 plant: Petrol or Diesel) plant? Why send a class jockey with a donkey?!!
Old 27th December 2008, 06:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Why cant they send a mule with a better (read 1.4 / 1.6 plant: Petrol or Diesel) plant? Why send a class jockey with a donkey?!!

The ranking is done by a magazine that crowned the Chevrolet Aveo the Car Of The Year sometime back - BEFORE it was even out in the market! I would therefore read their recommendations with an extra-large helping of salt.

If the engine is economical, that would be reason enough for it to do well - award or no award. How many road-rippers are best-sellers in this country?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks