Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 08:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to launch 3 new cars next year

Hyundai set to drive in big three next year

Mansi Kapur | TNN

New Delhi: Hyundai Motor India, the Korean carmaker, has lined up a slew of new cars for 2008. On the cards is the premium hatchback codenamed ‘PB’, the Santa Fe, a premium sedan and the i30.
Hyundai Motor India VP (sales and marketing) Arvind Saxena told TOI, “India will be the single manufacturing location for the premium hatchback PB. Although the model is primarily for the export market, we will also launch it in India.’’ The PB, which will be positioned a notch above the existing Getz, is expected to hit the Indian roads towards the end of 2008. The model, likely to be fitted with a 1.3-1.5 litre engine, will compete head on with the Chevrolet Aveo and Skoda Fabia, and is expected to be priced around Rs 5.5 lakh.
The chaebol has decided to make India its global smallcar hub and like the other compacts from its stable, the Santro, i10 and the Getz, the PB will also be manufactured only in India. The company is about to begin commercial production from its second car plant, taking its total manufacturing capacity to over five lakh units per annum. The company expects the Indian operations to contribute 30% of global Hyundai sales by 2009.
Hyundai is also considering bringing the i30—its latest offering—to strengthen its Indian line up. Its hatchback version was launched in Europe in mid 2007 and will feature in Hyundai’s US portfolio in early 2008. The i30, if launched in India, will have to fight it out in the premium hatchback segment. “We think that there will be a growing demand for top end hatchbacks in the near future and we want to have a strong presence in that segment,’’ Saxena said. Marking its second attempt to gain a toe-hold in the premium sedan category, Hyundai is considering bringing in the ‘HD’, which will replace the Elantra that is in the process of being phased out. “With the Elantra being phased out, we are looking for a replacement in that category,’’ Saxena said. Elantra never really took off, with only 13 units sold in the last three months. Hyundai is also looking to boost its image with the seven-seater SUV, Santa Fe.
Old 21st November 2007, 09:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great news! However, what happens to the Getz then? Isn't the PB i20?
Old 21st November 2007, 09:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Great news! However, what happens to the Getz then? Isn't the PB i20?
If it is actually going to be priced at 5.5 lakhs it looks like the Getz is on its way out which explains Hyundais lack of enthusiasm towards it.

I guess this is what the company's portfolio would look like

Santro/Wagon R/Zen Segment - i10
Getz/Swift Segment - i20(PB)
Aveo/Fabia/Fiesta Segment - i30

Last edited by khanak : 21st November 2007 at 09:40.
Old 21st November 2007, 09:40   #4
BHPian

PB = I20 for sure. We already have one thread on that.
Old 21st November 2007, 10:13   #5
BHPian

Maruti swift does not have to worry ... I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
If it is actually going to be priced at 5.5 lakhs it looks like the Getz is on its way out which explains Hyundais lack of enthusiasm towards it.

I have seen many threads that talked about Skoda fabia bringing the competation for Swift. As per the above it does not look like they don't even fall in the same segment.

I don't see how an apple can replace an orange.
Old 21st November 2007, 10:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai set to drive in big three next year

’’ The PB, which will be positioned a notch above the existing Getz, is expected to hit the Indian roads towards the end of 2008.
Also in another article in the Economic times (also somewhere on TBHP) Hyundai has stated it will continue with getz like Santro and i10. Plus i20 as stated will be positioned above the Getz.

Getz is NOT going to be phased out!

Elito
Old 21st November 2007, 10:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:

The i20 is bigger better than current Getz. it will definitely not be put against swift but against fabia.. which will be around 6 - 8 lkh bracket
Old 21st November 2007, 11:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Getz is NOT going to be phased out!

Elito
If the Getz is not going to be phased out then the new car is going to be too pricy to be sold to masses! Another one bites the dust before it is actually launched . I thought the new management would do something with the pricing.

OT: Now that Mr. Subbu has parted with with that co. with whom he was planning to launch a small car, why can't Hyundai rehire him? He's done it in the past and can still turn the wheels of fortune for Hyundai.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why launch a diesel version of Getz if they are not interested in continuing it? I think they will play the same game as they are playing now; Santro & i10, Accent & Verna (for a while), Getz & i20. I loved the i30 design and would love to see it on Indian roads in the hatchback form. I do not know how many buyers it can get, but at least, it looks like a good car.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't the market for cars above Swift/Getz be limited in numbers (price wise) ? People would rather go for a actual sedan than a premium hatch in India.

Someone should think about launching good notchbacks/wagons.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Great news.... Can any one please clarify me on i30, which is going to be a hatchback or sedan?...........
Old 21st November 2007, 12:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean Getz will be priced lower than it is now to make room for i20 between getz and Verna?? Or we gonna get costlier hatchbacks in form of i20 and Fabia??
Old 21st November 2007, 12:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
the Santa Fe, a premium sedan
I thought Santa Fe is a SUV and replacement for Tucson. And i30 will be a sedan in India.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
I thought Santa Fe is a SUV and replacement for Tucson. And i30 will be a sedan in India.
Please read it as Santa Fe an SUV, A premium sedan...there's a comma in between.
Old 21st November 2007, 15:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I read in today's Herald newspaper (Pune) that, Santa fe would be on sell along with Tucson.... Isn't Tucson already obsolete ?

Most Viewed