Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2007, 04:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

I dont see anything wrong with the alto, and the new m800, but really hate what they did to the zen and the tata safari. Safari was a beauty , now those puny headlamps(when compared to the original) just doesnt do justice to the vehicle.
Old 24th November 2007, 14:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Zen estillo without doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Maruti wanted to cash upon ZEN's ( the name) popularity by making fool of people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
my list would be...

1. zen estilo... what was maruti thinking badging this monstrocity as "ZEN"???
2. New Honda City... the old designwas a lot more appreciated and valued.
3. 2008 Honda Accord... did honda hire designers from Hyundai?
Well I should say

1) Zen Estilo is not the upgradation of old ZEN.
2) Zen Estilo is itself a new car.
3) If there can be shahrukh khan aged 45 and sharukh ahmed khan aged 20 then you can point out on the teen shahrukh because his name is same as the old shahrukh khan.

Lastly i dont understand the meaning of "monstrocity". Its a peppy small, simple and cute car. Without any flaws.
Old 24th November 2007, 14:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Estilo is not the redesign of the old Zen. Its a completely different car with different engine, gearbox etc. Only the name is same.

Indigo is a redesign of what? There is hardly any difference in shape between the new Indigo and old Indigo, except for the lamps.

Exactly true. People are not sure what u want. really confusing. Need to do a market research before posting. I agree DCElite/\.

Last edited by bmdesai1987 : 24th November 2007 at 14:36.
Old 24th November 2007, 18:20   #49
BHPian

Both the type II and Estilo upgrades to Zen are the worst "re-designs" (Estilo might be a different car, but for aam junta it is still a Zen). The NHC is not a bad design by itself, but as a makeover from OHC type II, ranks high up in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Second gen Honda city
Did you actually say this? OHC type II is one of the most most admired no nonsense designs here. If you meant the NHC, oh, then we are in violent agreement
Old 24th November 2007, 19:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
ITS just my personal opinion.

i meant interms of the engine & perforamnce. The 1.6 rocam engine is better than the 1.4 Duratec.

i felt the the zip can be zipped through traffic better than the xing, Xing looks big and difficult to zip around.

i like the stance of the baleno, it doesnt look funny ateast, i like the rear of the car if only the car came with a better rear lights it would have been a looker.(thats why we have mods section)

raj.
Ok, I have a Baleno and I too, quite like the overall shape and proportions of my car.... except the tail lights. Now who would mod it. Where can I get clear lense reflectors in the country for it?
Old 24th November 2007, 19:41   #51
BHPian

My list of Re-desgned disasters-
+
Mahindra- Scorpio (The latest version), Bolero
Anything New in India by Honda- CRV, City and the soon to be released Accord.( A design goof-up of Epic proportions to something that was classy and cool)
Maruti Zen Estilo,
Hyundai Getz- THe older style was so much more sophisticated and european, now it just looks awkward and disproportionates.

Worldwide, It's my sincere opinion that design wise, BMW has been on a downward spiral since the arrival of a certain Mr. Bangle. They were so utterly delicious and precise but then got totally Bangled. It's only later that the 7 series got a little less bangled and started looking better. The X5 is inherently such a good design that even Bangle couldn't spoil it but the smaller cars, particularly the 1 and the 3 series look disgusting.

I save my biggest grouse for the last- Royal Enfield Bullet AVL. This does not exactly concern design, rather change in engine type and product direction. Yes, Yes, AVL engines are more efficient, have better power, better acceleration, more reliable, fuel efficient, Aluminium engines are the future yadayada (Yawn) but it's not a bullet, it's not a bullet, it's not a bullet, not a bull, not not not not (sob!)
Old 24th November 2007, 19:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
You could consider Old Generation to New Generation model change as RE-DESIGN.

Basically, why should a NEW generation product look worse than the OLD one?

-- Torqy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdesai1987 View Post
Exactly true. People are not sure what u want. really confusing. Need to do a market research before posting. I agree DCElite/\.
The above quote should clear your doubt.

When you have a good car, if you stop it's production and come out with a crap model to replace, it's a car RUINED by RE-DESIGN.
You can see umpteen examples around.
Old 24th November 2007, 20:03   #53
BHPian

1. Zen.
2. Honda CRV.
Old 25th November 2007, 03:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Some re-design/facelift goof-ups:

1. Maruti got the last major re-design of the Zen partially wrong. The headlamps on the previous model were so much better. The rear was acceptable though.
2. HM tried to re-design the original Ambassador to give it a new lease of life. They failed, rather badly.
3. Ugly plastic add-ons and graphics spoilt the look of the Maruti Omni.
4. The new bolero is not a great effort either.
5. Older Optra was way better looking than the Magnum.
6. The rear of the Palio beats the 'Stile' backside anyday.
7. Any 'new' model stickered with graphics/fancy surname and little else is a big no-no.
Old 25th November 2007, 14:00   #55
BHPian

Always hated the old zen!!! (sorry i need more than a 1000 cc engine and a badly finished interior to set my pulse racing) , but after the estilo was launched i really miss the old one(before the disgusting headlight treatment came in).
Old 25th November 2007, 16:18   #56
BHPian

I see nobody is missing the first-generation Santros – the ones that invited laughter and ridicule for looking like "high-tech autorickshaws". In this case I feel the tail lamp redesign did help. So much so that when the Xing came on the scene, the tallboy shape was actually considered attractive. To sum up, it's only a matter of getting used to a particular shape/design... and as such, it's difficult to be objective while answering such a question.
Old 25th November 2007, 22:31   #57
BHPian

> The Zen...
Some people may call the Estilo as a totally new car... But, for me a Zen is always a Zen. And, yes it is a lesson on "A 100 ways to downgrade your style..."

> Hyundai Getz
Well, I can't call the new Getz Prime as a totally new car. As stated earlier, a Getz will be a Getz for me. The new Getz is Ok, but the earlier Getz had mode Euro flair in it's chic headlamps. The new ones are more Indica-esque Sorry Peugeot 207 esque... Err. Whatever!!

> The New Honda City
How I miss those understated clean lines of the OHC!!!

> New Indigo
The new Indigo with redesigned Headlights to distinguish it from the Indica looks like it has got drowsy eyes. The earlier one was more better.
Old 26th November 2007, 10:21   #58
BANNED

Zen Estilo is neither a redesign of Zen nor a new generation Zen. So, also add if the two names sounds similar to the list of cars 'RUINED' or 'GLORIFIED'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
You could consider Old Generation to New Generation model change as RE-DESIGN. So Accent --> Verna, Baleno --> SX4...etc are all valid.

Basically, why should a NEW generation product look worse than the OLD one?

-- Torqy
Old 26th November 2007, 13:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Zen Estilo is neither a redesign of Zen nor a new generation Zen. So, also add if the two names sounds similar to the list of cars 'RUINED' or 'GLORIFIED'.
'GLORIFIED or GORIFIED' ??

-- Torqy
Old 26th November 2007, 15:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

My list, purely based on looks, but not performance:-

Zen--->Zen Estillo (If it is an entirely new brand, then why did they use the old name? They did not call SX4 as Baleno Estillo, did they?

Optra----> Optra Magnum. Somehow I find the grill ugly on the new one.

Honda City---> NHC--I've already aired my views before on this, and dont wanna do it again,lest I be branded an NHC Hater!!

WagonR---> The Duo has a nasty grill. I liked the old one better---but not the oldest one, which has vertical bars. The one with a horizontal chrome stripe was good.

I disagree with someone that the Embera looks bad compared to the Sonata. I feel it is a great revamp on the looks department.

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th November 2007 at 15:10. Reason: Spelling mistake

Most Viewed