Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 12:28   #166
Senior - BHPian

santhosh,
if you try in newzealand, you are sure to get SGP spares for altoSS80
Old 14th April 2009, 14:08   #167
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread and believe me,i went through each and every post as I was so interested about this car.
Amazing to see the list of Japanese originals parts it had.An AC manual floored me all togather.
Now im very keen to acquire one for my collection.Id appreciate if any Hyderabad T-BHpians could point me towards a nice Suzuki 800 SS / DX.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
devrajman,
sorry to interfere again,first of all it was called DX(monogram) or deluxe version.
also all maruti ss80's fiitted with factory a/c was not deluxe models.
there was a version in 1985 and 1986 with a/c and tinted glass only.
go to the first page of this thread wherein,i have listed the special features of deluxe or in brief here it is
Tinted glass(suzuki temperlite) ,NIPPON DENSO A/C,
Maruti Clarion radio with Clarion HIFI speakers and external antenna on right A pillar,
Digital clock(green digits) on the dashboard(centrally located), BEIGE colour STANLEY leather seat covers.
velvety fur cream coloured Floor carpet+ rubber mats with suzuki logo.

a 6 page a/c instruction manual

are you talking abt stanley seating , bangalore? stanley seating bangalore did not exist in 1985-86.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:33   #169
BANNED

The green digital clock was Seiko It was in my car and i wasn't working. But after some diy rewiring made it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
are you talking abt stanley seating , bangalore? stanley seating bangalore did not exist in 1985-86.
Yeah but Maruti got it imported and Stanley was sure available in the package.

I posted few pics of my old 800 in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1259576

Last edited by Sankar : 14th April 2009 at 14:36.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:50   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The green digital clock was Seiko It was in my car and i wasn't working. But after some diy rewiring made it work.

Yeah but Maruti got it imported and Stanley was sure available in the package.

I posted few pics of my old 800 in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1259576
stanley seating bangalore came into existence only in mid 90s. there is no way maruti could have offered leather seat covers from stanley seating bangalore.

did the seat covers have a label which said stanley ?

or did stanley japan , who made the lights also make the seat covers? i dont think so .

Last edited by siddartha : 14th April 2009 at 14:58.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:04   #171
BANNED

Quote:
stanley seating bangalore came into existence only in mid 90s. there is no way maruti could have offered leather seat covers from stanley seating bangalore.

did the seat covers have a label which said stanley ?

or did stanley japan , who made the lights also make the seat covers? i dont think so .
Maybe you're right. I thought Stanley seating were an international brand which Maruti offered here in India.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:08   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you're right. I thought Stanley seating were an international brand which Maruti offered here in India.
stanley is a bangalore/ indian brand which off late has been trying to go international.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:04   #173
Senior - BHPian

It did have only the script ''SUZUKI" on the front portion of the leather seat covers.It was generally termed in the late 80's as Stanley seat covers.It need not necessarily be Stanley,but one thing is certain,it was genuine soft leather and not art leather .in fact maruti had put a cost price of Rs.10000/- for the seat covers(information given by POPULAR service personnel in those good old days!!).the price of the clock was 1600/-, the clarion am/fm radio stereo combo with speakers Rs.5000/-,the Nippon Denso a/c unit -Rs.18000/- .
Old 14th April 2009, 18:08   #174
Senior - BHPian

seiko

Quote:

Yeah but Maruti got it imported and Stanley was sure available in the package.'

sankar, if i am not mistaken, your car was a standard model. are you sure the original digital clock which came in DX was seiko??I think it was some other japanese brand,santosh please check what it was??

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2009 at 18:25. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:29   #175
BHPian

Can someone (JayD especially) post pics of the original leather seats both front and back? I need them to make a replica for my car using art leather.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:03   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
stanley is a bangalore/ indian brand which off late has been trying to go international.
Yes, Stanley AutoMotive is a more recent Bangalore/Indian brand with their factory at ShamRao Compound on Mission Road. Sunil Suresh, Stanley's MD/founder has taken the company places. They have an international presence already as they did a sample of the interiors for James Bond's Aston Martin Vanquish and later bagged the seats order for all Aston Martins after that. Also, Stanley Automotive is the OEM leather seat supplier for most Indian cars.

Stanley Electrical Co is a Japanese company and is an OEM supplier of electric parts, mostly lights and bulbs. All the lights, indicators, stop-lamps in the Honda Civic are Stanley. I have a NOS spare Stanley headlamp for my RD350.

Quote:
sankar, if i am not mistaken, your car was a standard model. are you sure the original digital clock which came in DX was seiko??I think it was some other japanese brand,santosh please check what it was??
@Sankar/Ajay: There is no mention of any brand on the facia of the clock. One nice thing about the clock is that when the vehicle is switched off (key out of ignition), the time is displayed when the 'DISP' button is pressed. Below is a closeup picture of the clock.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-interior2.bmp
Old 14th April 2009, 19:54   #177
BANNED

Quote:
Yep mine was a std model with a DX badge. The clock was seiko and it was very old. Maybe a genuine accessory fitted by the original owner from the showroom, apart from that there were no other accessory installed in it when i got the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post

@Sankar/Ajay: There is no mention of any brand on the facia of the clock. One nice thing about the clock is that when the vehicle is switched off (key out of ignition), the time is displayed when the 'DISP' button is pressed. Below is a closeup picture of the clock.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-interior2.bmp
Now with the photo i can say that it was an aftermarket accessory which was in mine. The fascia is different, the display on mine was to the left and buttons were towards the right and the screen was bigger. I saw it was a Seiko when i took out the clock from the dash, it was printed behind.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:55   #178
BHPian

very true!, i dont think seiko has ever made clocks for cars. what sankar had must have been an after market one . atleast those guys who made that one decided to put a japanese name on it , it didnt have "rado" or "omega" or something else.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:19   #179
BANNED

Quote:
very true!, i dont think seiko has ever made clocks for cars. what sankar had must have been an after market one . atleast those guys who made that one decided to put a japanese name on it , it didnt have "rado" or "omega" or something else.
How can you be sure that seiko never made any clock for cars? And the name seiko wasn't printed on the fascia, it was printed on the pcb. I don't think guys who are selling off items as seiko would bother putting the name on the pcb, instead of the front panel.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:25   #180
BHPian

Quote:
How can you be sure that seiko never made any clock for cars? And the name seiko wasn't printed on the fascia, it was printed on the pcb. I don't think guys who are selling off items as seiko would bother putting the name on the pcb, instead of the front panel.
may be the quartz crystal etc and the pcb was seiko , so that doesnt make the whole unit a seiko clock.

Last edited by siddartha : 15th April 2009 at 15:28.

Most Viewed