BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedrider75 View Post
Attaching some more exterior/interior photos:

Exterior :
Note original side view mirror;
Original Suzuki Windows glasses & rear windscreen; Front windscreen had already been replaced with an aftermarket one;
Original Tokai Denso rear lights; Original front sealed beams have been upgraded with new lights for safer driving at night (originals safely stored)
Rear windscreen strut wasnt working - had it replaced with a MGP one;
Front/rear windscreen polishing done to remove/reduce micro surface scratches;
The ugly red/blue strip on the rear has to be painted over (another project for later);

Car is due for some mechanical work - will post some more pictures after that is done and car is cleaned up properly
This is a labour of love and its really nice to see this car in such good shape.

There is only one correction to be made basis my knowledge and familiarity with these iconic 1980’s vehicles.
This is an SS80 - 800 Standard and not a DX.
The DX came with Leather Upholstery, Air Con/ Heater and a Clarion Stereo Cassette Player. Of course it also had specific Silver on Black 800 DX badging on the rear as well as on the Radiator Plastic grille.
The STD was non AC and had these checkered vinyl seat covers and that mockup plastic in place of the Stereo.
Meantime, would you like to join our little informal ‘Old Maruti Club’ of Bangalore? Its a small whatsapp group of people who love and cherish their old Marutis. Let me have your number and I ll ask the admins of that group to add you.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th March 2023 at 07:41.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 10:08   #1862

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

This is an SS80 - 800 Standard and not a DX.
Yes, you are right - this car is a standard and not a DX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Meantime, would you like to join our little informal ‘Old Maruti Club’ of Bangalore? Its a small whatsapp group of people who love and cherish their old Marutis. Let me have your number and Ill ask the admins of that group to add you.
Sure, would love to. Many thanks .
Old 2nd May 2023, 08:40   #1863
BHPian

Stumbled upon this thread and it made my morning. I’ve been driving and restoring a 1985 SS80 that I got from a friend’s mother in 2019 IIRC. I have taken the SS80 everywhere I’ve been since then. Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Assam. Here is a photograph from my trip to Sela Pass in Arunachal Pradesh last month. Thank you!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2349.jpeg
Hirohito is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 21:08   #1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
India's first RESTOMODDED Suzuki Alto SS80. Ready after 2 years of hardwork. More pics coming soon.

Some more teaser shots of the car. It was long and painfull effort for over 2 years to achive this. Just for the info the besides the aesthetic mods the following technical mods have been made:

1. Conversion of Carburettor to Fuel Injection on the original engine block.
2. Power Assisted Brakes for improved braking
3. Electronic Power Steering
4. New Air-Con + Heater/ HVAC System
5. New Wiring Harnesses & Electricals
6. Remote Locking/ Unlocking
and many more small technical mods...

can you share some snaps of the engine bay.. Wanted to add a booster in my car too
Old 30th June 2023, 17:42   #1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedrider75 View Post
Attaching some more exterior/interior photos:

The ugly red/blue strip on the rear has to be painted over (another project for later);

Car is due for some mechanical work - will post some more pictures after that is done and car is cleaned up properly

Hey Folks,

A quick update on the SS80 : the car has undergone a LOT of mechanical work in March/April. All of this work was done at Ranjith Auto Care in Koramangala (RAC has excellent equipment and Ranjith and his team are simply outstanding at working on Maruti/Suzuki cars). And Ranjith himself is a wizard at tuning the carbs of these cars (these days his team does most of the work but we were lucky to have him tune our car's carb and his midas touch is just out of the world !)

1) Clutch/Pressure plate & bearing changed
2) Rear Shocks changed
3) Front strut mounts changed - the steering too has become much smoother and loghter after this
4) All 3 engine mounts + 2 torque rods changed
5) Carb Tuned
6) Rear Brakes serviced (front ones were perfectly ok)
7) water pump & one radiator pipe changed
8) Spark plugs changed
9) Electrical work - Left door opening light, LHS fender light and rear number plate light fixed (ALL electricals working now)
10) Wiper motor serviced
11) Ugly red/Blue strip under rear windscreen painted over and Maruti/Suzuki and 800 emblems installed in correct place.
12) Stepney - RAC welded a nut in the stepney areas to hold the wheel down ... OE didnt have it, and this was a great suggestion by RAC to prevent thudding noise. This is also the only modification done to the car - rest 100% is stock
13) One of the shift lever in gearbox changed - has made the shifts super smooth

In addition, a) the entire engine bay was cleaned (courtesy detailed cleaning steps provided by @LeoShashi).. and while not a patch on how clean his cars' bays are, the engine bay of the SS80 is super clean now, and b) the entire interior carpets removed, cleaned and installed back.

The car is pretty much done now, and a joy to drive. It's in as stock a condition as one can make a 39 year old car (the only thing remaining is to install the two silver/black strips on the rear of the car, which we will do soon).

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-inked20230513_152827.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-inked20230513_152842.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152624.jpg

Red/Blue strip painted over, and emblems installed in correct positions
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-inked20230513_152612.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-inked20230513_152703.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-inkedinked20230513_152700.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152202.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152259.jpg

Cleaned up engine bay - everything is stock and mostly true to original
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152420.jpg

Nut and bolt (with red lever) for spare wheel
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152104.jpg

Original seat covers (RR), in excellent condition
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152210.jpg

Original seat covers (FR), in excellent condition
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152226.jpg

Car still has original carpets - cleaned & reattached with new clips
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-20230513_152315.jpg
Speedrider75 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 19:49   #1866
Senior - BHPian

A clean car with good originality. It would have been excellent if you could source the roof gutter trim. Also the radiator seems to be the new Cougar make.
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:38   #1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
A clean car with good originality. It would have been excellent if you could source the roof gutter trim. Also the radiator seems to be the new Cougar make.

Yes, the roof gutter trim has been hard to find (do please know if anyone has any leads on that). So we'll have to put the chrome strip suggested by @salilpawar1 earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
As a workaround, you can fit an aftermarket plastochrome beading strip on the rain gutter. It looks like the OE metal strip. Only catch is that it will come off after a few days if not fitted properly.

https://www.amazon.in/Mizzeo-Window-.../dp/B07MGNM1VN

Also, we rechecked, the radiator on the car is an original one, not an aftermarket one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks