Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 18:20   #226
BHPian

Need help from all the bangalore SS80 enthusiasts out there!

I need to get the Fitness certificate(FC) renewed for my car which is KA registered and is parked here in Chennai. Is it possible to get it done without bringing the car to bangalore because Iam little nervous to drive it on the highways without valid FC.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:02   #227
Senior - BHPian

fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Need help from all the bangalore SS80 enthusiasts out there!

I need to get the Fitness certificate(FC) renewed for my car which is KA registered and is parked here in Chennai. Is it possible to get it done without bringing the car to bangalore because Iam little nervous to drive it on the highways without valid FC.
jai,
although I am not from bangalore, as far as I know, legally you have to present the car physically for a FC and this is as per the MVI act of 1989.
so there is no short cuts here.this will have to be repeated every 5 years.this is where the NOC becomes important and precisely the single MAJOR reason for leaving this car!!!
Old 30th April 2009, 13:26   #228
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get my car's FC renewed through a broker and that broker has assured me that he can get it done through an inspector he knows at the RTO without an inspection. In my case, am trying to get it done that way only to save a day's leave and some inconvenience !

Although I know it is not adviseable, I have been running the car without getting the FC done since 1999 when it first expired. But, all other documents like insurance and emission certificates were up to date. From this year onwards, the insurance companies are refusing to renew my insurance and hence the urgency to now complete the FC formalities. It is a Bangalore car, so I do not have NOC problems.

However, I am planning to get it done only around 15th May since the broker is currently not in town. If you can wait, I'll see how my experience pans out and let you know.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
I am planning to get my car's FC renewed through a broker and that broker has assured me that he can get it done through an inspector he knows at the RTO without an inspection. In my case, am trying to get it done that way only to save a day's leave and some inconvenience !

Although I know it is not adviseable, I have been running the car without getting the FC done since 1999 when it first expired. But, all other documents like insurance and emission certificates were up to date. From this year onwards, the insurance companies are refusing to renew my insurance and hence the urgency to now complete the FC formalities. It is a Bangalore car, so I do not have NOC problems.

However, I am planning to get it done only around 15th May since the broker is currently not in town. If you can wait, I'll see how my experience pans out and let you know.
since it is a Bangalore registered car , although illegal, you are not likely to be in any spot because, your RTO is near by.But in case o JAI3033 it is not the case, another state, an RTO which is thousands of miles away, big risk,my advice. get the NOC, go thro proper channel, and have a leisurely ride
Old 4th May 2009, 18:44   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post

Thank you Kannan for the reply. I think I can wait till the third week of May because I have some travel plans this month end. Anyway talk to your broker regarding this when he comes back.

Also how did you manage to drive for 10 years without being pulled up for FC renewal
Old 4th May 2009, 19:01   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kannan for the reply. I think I can wait till the third week of May because I have some travel plans this month end. Anyway talk to your broker regarding this when he comes back.

Also how did you manage to drive for 10 years without being pulled up for FC renewal
Most welcome Jai. Will let you know how my getting an FC transpires ! Hey, maybe I'm lucky that I havent been pulled up yet ! Cops normally ask for the drivers licence, insurance and emission certificate only. On a serious note, I did have all other valid documents especially the insurance coverage which would be invaluable in the unfortunate event of meeting up with an accident. The insurance guys have become tougher this time round and have refused to renew my insurance unless I show them a copy of the FC, so I cannot get away any more !
Old 5th May 2009, 00:11   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Atlast pictures of my SS80 car. Iam sorry for the quality since they were taken from my mobile.
Wow, jai!! Sorry for the late response but I'm visiting this thread after a long time!

I must say your SS80 sure rocks! Just the kind of SS80 I'd want to have, hopefully mine too will turn out the same one day.....!

Did you find the missing side-roof trims for your car as yet?

As for the fitness issue of yours that you mentioned, I don't see any problem for you to take it down to b'lore and back too, with an expired FC. AFAIK, the police- atleast in AP- normally don't bother to check about these things, as long as you have the RC with you- even if its not registered in your name!
Because that's enough proof that the car is not stolen.

But, on knowing your car's number, I don't see any difference if you get it re-registered in Madras either, as the number is anyway a later date one. So it's already lost it's 'virginity'!

Do you know the original no. btw?

Pavan, nice car your frend has too!

BTW, guys, am planning to fit alloy rims on my SS80 as well, for my perception of having to drive almost regularly on our average roads!

And considering that Maruti/most newer car rims do tend to suffer damage and get bent/misaligned- I've had to change 2 of the front rims on my car already.

I've seen 13 inch alloys on a zen just bought by a friend, who plans to swap them for newer ones that he likes soon.

If 14" can go on these cars, 13"" shouldn't be a problem.

I also like the ones fitted to the beige SS80 photo'd in Pondy, posted by someone sometime ago in this thread.

What rims arethose? What brand/size?

Where could they be had?

Cost per set of 5?

'grateful for any help inthis regard.
Old 5th May 2009, 14:03   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I've seen 13 inch alloys on a zen just bought by a friend, who plans to swap them for newer ones that he likes soon.

If 14" can go on these cars, 13"" shouldn't be a problem.

Shyam,
Check out this modded SS80, the wheels look like 13 inchers and IMO suit the ss80 well.
Name:  ss801_resized.bmp
Views: 10659
Size:  675.1 KB

Quote:

Where could they be had?

Cost per set of 5?

The PCD is 114.3(same for 800, Zen, Esteem) and to give you an indicative price, 13 inch alloys should cost you around 3k for a set of 5 rims and tyres ~3k per tyre. Good brands are league, plati, HR etc.

Quote:
As for the fitness issue of yours that you mentioned, I don't see any problem for you to take it down to b'lore and back too, with an expired FC. AFAIK, the police- atleast in AP- normally don't bother to check about these things, as long as you have the RC with you- even if its not registered in your name!
+1 to that. Jai, you should just drive down to get the FC done. Given the condition that your car is in, the RTO official will grant you the FC without even having a closer look

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 5th May 2009 at 14:14.
Old 5th May 2009, 21:23   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, jai!! Sorry for the late response but I'm visiting this thread after a long time!

I must say your SS80 sure rocks! Just the kind of SS80 I'd want to have, hopefully mine too will turn out the same one day.....!

Did you find the missing side-roof trims for your car as yet?

But, on knowing your car's number, I don't see any difference if you get it re-registered in Madras either, as the number is anyway a later date one. So it's already lost it's 'virginity'!

Do you know the original no. btw?

I also like the ones fitted to the beige SS80 photo'd in Pondy, posted by someone sometime ago in this thread.

Where could they be had?

Cost per set of 5?

Thank you Shyam and dont worry your car will definitely turn out much better especially with its fancy 'virgin' number . Regarding the FC Iam planning to get it done by this month. The original side roof trims are present in my car it is only lacking in the rear chrome strips.

The alloys on the Pondy SS80 posted by me earlier are Aura brand of standard 12 inches. They are also available in 13/14 inches in the same pattern and should cost about 10-12k for a set. You can find them in any store dealing in alloy wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-vin-066a.jpg  

Old 6th May 2009, 08:11   #235
BHPian

Shyam, check out my SS80 DX. Even I have the same 12 inch Aura rims as the Pondy car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1251613-post147.html
Old 6th May 2009, 08:59   #236
Senior - BHPian

Hey Santosh, what happened to the WILLYS?

It's all SS80 for you nowadays
Old 6th May 2009, 09:15   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Hey Santosh, what happened to the WILLYS?
OT: The Willys CJ3B is doing fine. I am just collecting original spares for the restore. You can see pictures of it in action at last Friday's Off-road here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
It's all SS80 for you nowadays
Nothing like that buddy..LOL. Both vehicles are very special to me
Old 6th May 2009, 17:52   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Shyam, check out my SS80 DX. Even I have the same 12 inch Aura rims as the Pondy car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1251613-post147.html
Hey santhosh, sorry for the delayed reply- it takes forever to view a page sometimes in this net connec. of ours! Sometimes the net conks out too!

Anyways, (belated) congrats on your SS80 as well!

Yes, I meant to point out the ones on your car as well- these are the kind of rims I like more. Even better than the ones of the other red SS80 you've posted, IMHO.

You mentioned 4 of them are used- are these available easily in used in b'lore? Did you buy them at the gujiri? Can they also be bought individually as new, since you mentioned one rim on your car is new.

I'm thinking to go for used rims but new tyres.

To be honest, I'm not too particular whether they are 12" or 13"...but alloy they need to be.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:55   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
A type 2's retractable type seat belt will fit fine. But the seatbelt spool would not sit inside the b-pillar but outside at the bottom of the b-pillar just behind the front seats. This is what i had on mine.
BTW, guys I need pics. of the original SS80 seatbelts, so I could pick up a set in case i found one.Anyone who could post pics. of those?

My car didn't have any belts (plus a lot of other parts, subsequently sourced and refitted!) when I bought it...I've temporarily fitted a pair of local cheapo ones so I don't get caught and fined.
Old 7th May 2009, 02:32   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, guys I need pics. of the original SS80 seatbelts, so I could pick up a set in case i found one.Anyone who could post pics. of those?

My car didn't have any belts (plus a lot of other parts, subsequently sourced and refitted!) when I bought it...I've temporarily fitted a pair of local cheapo ones so I don't get caught and fined.
Unless you need them for 'originality' purposes, i'd recommend the newer model's unit. The OE belts are a joke.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks