Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 15:59   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Saw a very similar looking SS80 with the high profile mag wheels in Sadashivnagar last week, same colour too, had your cousin dropped in to Bangalore by any chance ? Could not take any pics of the car for comparison though.

I think the one you are referring to is a Bangalore car only coz i have seen it around here very often. looks to be maintained very well.

The mag wheels which they have put seems to gel well with the car.
Old 14th September 2009, 22:55   #512
BHPian

yes the car was in bangalore till the last 3 week. it has come over to the home town for a break. might be that you all have seen in bangalore.
Old 19th September 2009, 01:31   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Introducing my 'new' SS80 :)

Hi all,

Back to posting in this thread after quite some time. And the main reason for that is to share the good news of my finding a GOOD (I mean REALLY good) SS80!!

Coincidentally, this car too is chocolate brown, like my first one, also has a "fancy" number starting with 7!! And a standard version too. But its MUCH better than the previous car, and requiring very little work bodily as well as mechanically (just a little rust at the side bottoms plus the brakes need to be serviced), cosmetically is missing a few bits, namely one roof gutter trim and rear trim.
And interiors are done up in velvet. I plan to replace them with genuine leather upholstery that came in the DX version- when I can afford it! At present it looks fine enough for my mom, as she'd been drawing her daggers out at me nearly every day for not having a "proper" car for random use! Just right to pick her up from the airport when she's back home!

It's hard to believe though, that this car has been used by 4 owners, going by it's condition! 'looked even better after I washed it this morning, first time after getting it home.

The last owner was an elderly gent (who also had a Herald at one point!) who owned it for hardly 7-8 months and decided to sell it as he is often out of town so car is not in much use. Prior to that, it was owned by a lady whose brother is acquainted with me through a common friend- if only I'd come to know of this car when she'd sold it back then! Nevertheless, it was the same gent who directed me to this car, as the previous owner is a friend of his too!

The car still has the original paint intact, barring for some touch-up on the left side, due to some scrapes (not too serious luckily!) caused when the lady ex-owner had once been reversing the car. It also still has the rare Tyre placard sticker inside the driver's door!
Also still has one Tokai Denso side-indicator (left), which I'll keep away safe and fit a local one instead, as this one shows signs of narrowly being shattered! It was lucky again today, as I drove the car out on a long drive, when I brushed against a bag hanging from a cycle in a narrow lane! It incidentally runs quite well despite needing a servicing. No abnormal rattles and squeaks etc. or wobbling, runs as quiet as a new car!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_3683.jpg

It has a stereo that seems an aftermarket fitment, 'havent yet got to checking if it works.

And the best(?) part- got it with clear papers, including Green tax paid, for a very decent price!

'tried uploading the other pics. but uploader seems to be acting up now! ......and it's getting late! So will do so later, hang on!
Old 19th September 2009, 13:10   #514
Senior - BHPian

Great buy Shyam. Its a vey familiar number is it possible to let on who was the original owner then maybe I might be able to add something to its history
Old 20th September 2009, 22:12   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks wasif! I'm afraid I have no idea about the entire history of the previous owners. The one before the last owner was a lady residing in Kachiguda, whose brother is known to me through a common friend. She bought it again, from someone known to her brother. The same person, before this car, had a grey Herald (AHY something) that the lady's brother bought, but unfortunately it ran to the ground!

I can find out through them about the other owners.

Aside, now I've been trying 'n' times since last night, to upload the other pics. of the car!! Every time the window shows some stupid error message, or whenever the pics. do get uploaded (by doing so one-by-one!), the net connection here goes out!

Infact last midnight after quite an effort, when I'd uploaded most of the other pic.s and was submitting the message, the net just went out! And I've never been able to upload them again since!

I'm incredibly SICK AND TIRED of this...'has nearly upset my whole sunday! 'will try to upload the pics. later when the net is working better, sorry!

A couple of questions though- did the SS80 originally ever have a Maruti name plaque in Hindi? I doubt this, considering the car was more Japanese than Indian so any badging in Hindi wouldnt make sense. In fact I suspect they werent even badged Maruti on the rear but only Suzuki- one similar car in our society has such a badge on the rear (wanted to buy that earlier but fortunately or unfortunately backed out as the guy doesnt have the RC and was quoting even higher than this, that too when the car had a RH front damage and other work!)

Also my car has those chrome hub-centre caps- are they original to SS80s?

Last edited by Stanher : 20th September 2009 at 22:23.
Old 20th September 2009, 22:33   #516
Senior - BHPian

Those chrome hub caps are the real thing. These cars had the Maruti Suzuki rectangular plastic plate on the rear and the Maruti plate on the from like on this car under which was the 800 and then the Dx for deluxe.
Old 20th September 2009, 22:56   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A couple of questions though- did the SS80 originally ever have a Maruti name plaque in Hindi? I doubt this, considering the car was more Japanese than Indian so any badging in Hindi wouldnt make sense. In fact I suspect they werent even badged Maruti on the rear but only Suzuki- one similar car in our society has such a badge on the rear (wanted to buy that earlier but fortunately or unfortunately backed out as the guy doesnt have the RC and was quoting even higher than this, that too when the car had a RH front damage and other work!)

Also my car has those chrome hub-centre caps- are they original to SS80s?
I think that the first idigenised items were the horn, tyres, battery, paint and one item I forget. This refers to cars assembled in India, I believe that the very first batch may have been imported. Someone may know.
Well, I had problems with the horn, 2 replaced in warranty and the third I had to pay for and spots of rust started to appear at joints.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:04   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Wasif & harit, thanks again for the info. In that case, I'm glad my car has even the hubcaps intact! Wow! A couple of them need re chroming though.
Yes, I knew the front grilles all have MARUTI on them. And again, that is the only SS80 I've seen with that SUZUKI badge- cant be from any later Suzuki cars (Swift etc.) as all of them have chrome-finish lettering, not the embossing on the black plastic plate like these.

Last edited by Stanher : 20th September 2009 at 23:23.
Old 21st September 2009, 02:07   #519
BHPian

Hey Stanher, congrats. You have bought a nice car there
The chrome hub caps were there on the next gen 800 SB308 too until the early nineties I guess, when it was replaced with black plastic ones. The hindi maruti sticker was also on the SB308; the steering wheel of SB308 too had maruti written in hindi.

Anyways my question earlier went unanswered
Does anybody have a clue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
The SS80 tyre size is mentioned as 4.50-12-6PR which is the same as the Maruti omni.
The SB308 tyre size was 5.65-12 6PR (now radial 145/70 R12)
Now my question is do these tyre sizes differ?
I have always felt the SS80 runs on bigger wheels as compared to SB308; or just my perception I guess.
What do you guys think?
Old 21st September 2009, 10:00   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
Hey Stanher, congrats. You have bought a nice car there
The hindi maruti sticker was also on the SB308; the steering wheel of SB308 too had maruti written in hindi.
Thanks!
Reg. the Hindi stickering/badging, yes, those were there on the SB308, considering those were more Indian cars. My question was whether the stickering is original with respect to the SS80s.
BTW, on the SS80 steering wheels, it says Maruti in English, not Hindi.

Still unable to upload pics.!
Old 21st September 2009, 10:10   #521
Senior - BHPian

I remember once I bought a second hand Omni which had M800 tyres in the rear wheels (5.65-12 6PR). The Omni tyres then was 4.8 or something which was diametrically larger. Later on I changed to higher dia originall spec ones. The M 800 cross ply tyres then looked like radials on Omni because of the higher width.
Old 21st September 2009, 14:24   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
lot of other cheap makes like toyo, and lumax are also available but nothing like OE NOS Tokai Denso, but horribly expensive .I recently was offered a pair (L/R) Tail lamp assembly in original packing for Rs.3000/-!!!
I would love to buy them if they are still available.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:31   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

More pics. of my SS80- finally!!

After numerous attempts in vain, here they finally are!!

This calls for a biryani!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_3685.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_3687.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_3686.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_3689.jpg

Um, I still haven't figured out how to get the stereo on though!

Last edited by Stanher : 21st September 2009 at 15:40.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:23   #524
BANNED

Wow buddy.

Nice to see your car finally on the forum.

Lots and lots of original bits on the car.
Old 21st September 2009, 18:22   #525
Team-BHP Support

Congratz and how much has she run? All she needs is lil bit of TLC i guess. You are a lucky man Stanher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks