Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 19:09   #526
Senior - BHPian

@Stanher: Congrats on your buy. She looks great. Me thinks that she needs some spruce up on the interiors.

Fancy reg no. there. On a lighter note, while she seems to have more 'zeroes' on her number plate, she is running short of one on her monicker at the back.
Old 21st September 2009, 19:19   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@Stanher: Congrats on your buy. She looks great. Me thinks that she needs some spruce up on the interiors.

Fancy reg no. there. On a lighter note, while she seems to have more 'zeroes' on her number plate, she is running short of one on her monicker at the back.
Thanks! I do have a spare 800 badge with me. 'will fit it on only when I repaint though, as I don't want to stick it on only to pry it off again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz and how much has she run? All she needs is lil bit of TLC i guess. You are a lucky man Stanher.
The reading shows 57k+ km, which I believe is an original reading.

Yes, just needs a little bit of TLC! And again, yes I sure was lucky with this deal!

Last edited by Stanher : 21st September 2009 at 19:21.
Old 21st September 2009, 19:55   #528
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shyam, wow ! Missed this thread as I was out of town. Lovely buy, she's looking superb. I can just imagine her driving down the streets.. Very oh-ree-G-nal, as I can see. A touch of polish and interior formula 1 spray, she'll be as good as new !!
Enjaay maadi !
Old 21st September 2009, 23:53   #529
Senior - BHPian

Good purchase, just looking at your car is giving me ideas. I am getting tempted to acquire one of these. The first car I talked about as a child was a Red SS80 which used run around in our locality in Nalgonda. I still remember, whenever someone asked which car will you buy, I would say Red car!!!

But unfortunately this car is so small that if I had to drive it, I have to sit in the rear seat and drive it . But still it sounds fun to own one. I need your help shyam in this regard. There is one SS80 with a close relative of mine. I need some tips to convince him to part with his possession. BTW, its serial number is 46 or 47 from the first batch of SS80 cars which landed in India. So the owner(the first and the original owner) is a bit senti about the car.
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:08   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Very oh-ree-G-nal, as I can see. A touch of polish and interior formula 1 spray, she'll be as good as new !!
Enjaay maadi !
Thanks ravi! While I couldn't find it as exhilarating as driving a classic, it definitely is comfortable and convenient! Only you generally can't abuse it on our kind of roads, that's where you need to be careful. So far I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
But unfortunately this car is so small that if I had to drive it, I have to sit in the rear seat and drive it . But still it sounds fun to own one. I need your help shyam in this regard. There is one SS80 with a close relative of mine. I need some tips to convince him to part with his possession. BTW, its serial number is 46 or 47 from the first batch of SS80 cars which landed in India. So the owner(the first and the original owner) is a bit senti about the car.
Raj, I'm glad to see a change of heart in you regarding SS80s atleast, if not other 'old' cars!
I dont think your height should stop you from being able to sit in this car. IMHO it can still accomodate you.

As for convincing, hmmm.......I'll try and rack my brains over this and let you know if I come across any idea! To be honest I too am not an expert at this, else there would've been a number of other cars that I wanted all the more bad and could've acquired! But if he is indeed close to you, you could surely but slowly work your way to it? Does he still use the car?
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:45   #531
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shyam...Awesome car and your penchant for originality is all i can find in this car.
Now i need to acquire one for me on the same lines.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:32   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Raj, I'm glad to see a change of heart in you regarding SS80s atleast, if not other 'old' cars!
yeah! only other old car in my mind is a Herald period. But I see the SS80 is a better car as a daily car.

Quote:
I dont think your height should stop you from being able to sit in this car. IMHO it can still accomodate you.
I have certain plans for the SS80 to accommodate me in it. One change the stock steering wheel to a one with smaller diameter. Two, change the driver's seat to that of a racing seat or increase the travel of the driver's seat.

Quote:
As for convincing, hmmm.......I'll try and rack my brains over this and let you know if I come across any idea! To be honest I too am not an expert at this, else there would've been a number of other cars that I wanted all the more bad and could've acquired! But if he is indeed close to you, you could surely but slowly work your way to it? Does he still use the car?
It was unused for quite a lot of time - between 2005 and 2008. He restored it to stock condition in 2008. Repainted it to the original color. Cleaned up the interiors but did not change any of the interiors. Put on a new wind shield. Rectified any engine related problems. He had a small accident in 2008 Dec, no damage other than the front wind shield broke, after which it was grounded. I think he just runs it once in a while to keep it running but I am not sure of this in the recent times as he is traveling a lot.

I once said to him, that I am interested in his car. As he is aware of my interest in cars, he offered me his car to use it but he said he would not want to sell it.

BTW, it has done under 50K genuine km. I think the accident case is still going on. So legally he can not sell his car I think.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:33   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
After numerous attempts in vain, here they finally are!!

This calls for a biryani!

Attachment 195311

Attachment 195310

Attachment 195317

Attachment 195318

Um, I still haven't figured out how to get the stereo on though!
That car is so familiar but cant get the name of the owner out of my head.Please try to find out the area wher it came from.

I have definitely seen this car plenty of times in Banjara Hills
Old 24th September 2009, 21:16   #534
BHPian

Congrats Stanher! A really neat SS80. The new Zealand brown is a nice colour for the SS80. But it becomes dull because of age.

As you may recall I have the same colour car too!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...s80-dx-32.html

The quality of the original paint is remarkable (remember it was made during the mid 80's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Shyam, wow ! Missed this thread as I was out of town. Lovely buy, she's looking superb. I can just imagine her driving down the streets.. Very oh-ree-G-nal, as I can see. A touch of polish and interior formula 1 spray, she'll be as good as new !!
Enjaay maadi !
Your car would look a much better with a good polish job and interior clean up.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:24   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Congrats Stanher! A really neat SS80. The new Zealand brown is a nice colour for the SS80. But it becomes dull because of age.

As you may recall I have the same colour car too!

The quality of the original paint is remarkable (remember it was made during the mid 80's).

Your car would look a much better with a good polish job and interior clean up.
On the way sirs, on the way!

I incidentally have a small bottle of Armorall dash polish spray left. 'will try and use that for the dash.

Yes, how could I not remember your lovely car! Did it undergo a recent repaint btw?
I reckon the original shade of this brown is hard to source today- a couple of cars I've seen have undergone resprays in a wrong (slightly lighter) shade.

'not planning to get a respray done on mine too soon though.

Update- 'had a problem with the headlights failing earlier this week, so got that rectified. All working now.

Also had the lone TokaiDenso side indicator (left) replaced by a local one, for safety of the former. I've kept it safe alongwith another original TD indicator in a box at home!

Last edited by Stanher : 24th September 2009 at 21:28.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:40   #536
BHPian

No, There hasnt been any repaint. All I have done is got her waxed.
The car has original paint on Most of its panels. The LH side doors and Rh Fender have been touched up.

When M-Factor permits I want to match the same with the original color.

The color is quite difficult to match. It is not the current y2k paint. You need to get the color shade in Nerolac.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:02   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That car is so familiar but cant get the name of the owner out of my head.Please try to find out the area wher it came from.

I have definitely seen this car plenty of times in Banjara Hills
I have been racking my brain trying to remember who owned this car and I think it was a lady called Ms. Laxhmi Raj who was popular in social circles in those days.

I am sure DKG is aware of this person and he can comment whether it was her car or not.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:37   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
The color is quite difficult to match. It is not the current y2k paint. You need to get the color shade in Nerolac.
My SS80 was painted about 6 years ago with Nerolac. It was definitely not the same hue as the original. It appeared more dark and a dull brown.
If only the car had not suffered a frontal crash back then, it would have probably retained the original paint till this day. How I wish it had the original paint
Old 26th September 2009, 05:24   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
My SS80 was painted about 6 years ago with Nerolac. It was definitely not the same hue as the original. It appeared more dark and a dull brown.
If only the car had not suffered a frontal crash back then, it would have probably retained the original paint till this day. How I wish it had the original paint
sad to hear that. My MASS told me that Nerolac was the Best bet. But i thought computerised paint matching and with all the new paint technology matching the paint, especially non mettalic would be easier. But apparently for older shades that were phased out it seems it is not as easy.
Old 26th September 2009, 10:59   #540
BHPian

Hello All,

Something not related to SS80.

Last day I happened to see an '85 model Maruti Omni. Was surprised to see that the vehicle had some Japanese parts. Attached are pics of the Koito sealed beam head lamp unit, Tokai Denso tail lamp assembly and side indicators.

Any idea about Gypsy? Did Gypsy also had units made by the same manufacturers?

Thanks,
Jose.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc04764.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc04765.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc04766.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc04774.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc04779.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc04784.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com