Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 04:16   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
OT: I need some advice from the SS 80 Owners:

1. While running on A/C the impact on the engine seems to be very high and the car slows/ stalls on low speeds.I need to shift gear every time I slow down.Is this usual?
Your A/C idle up switch could be defective. The function of which is to increase the engine RPM when you switch on the A/C. This could also explain the low cooling at low revs/idling.

[/quote] 2. Does the AC cooling depend on high revs and RPM? Because at low speeds the chill factor is relatively low.[/quote]
Yes it does.
[/quote] 3. I replaced a condenser and flute pins as per my mechanic.What does this achieve in terms of FE,Running condition.[/quote]
I don't know what flute pins are. Experts please throw in more light.
[/quote] 4. Engine is heating up even after a 5km run.Mind you the coolant level is fine.[/quote]
Temperature should shoot up to the halfway mark pretty quickly and remain there irrespective of the distance you drive. If then you shouldn't be worried. But anything beyond the halfway point, just get it checked. Could be a defective Cooling fan/thermo switch.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 19th October 2009 at 04:20.
Old 19th October 2009, 10:28   #632
Senior - BHPian

When you switch on the A/c do you notice an increase in teh engine RPM. It should go up to compensate for the load from teh compressor. This is achieved via a fast idle switch that is known to go kaput.

Do look in to this. It is something that had slipped my mind earlier.
Old 20th October 2009, 23:16   #633
Senior - BHPian

Friends..Finally the A/C woes have been resolved for my SS 80 DX.
After thorough checking of compressor and all other pipes,we found that one the pipes to the blower had a minute leakage which was causing the gas to escape very gradually.
I purchased a new pipe and replaced this morning and looks like all thats well ends well.
Now the A/C is in full blast and the chill factor is amazing.I drove the car for about 100kms in the city whole day to test the gas holding and it looks fine.
Im a happy man.

Shyam: When do we meet with the SS80s? I wanna have a look at your chocolate beauty.
Old 20th October 2009, 23:44   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends..Finally the A/C woes have been resolved for my SS 80 DX.
Now the A/C is in full blast and the chill factor is amazing.I drove the car for about 100kms in the city whole day to test the gas holding and it looks fine.
Im a happy man.
Great! I'm happy for you!

Quote:
Shyam: When do we meet with the SS80s? I wanna have a look at your chocolate beauty.
Any day when I dont have to go to work!
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:40   #635
Senior - BHPian

Suresh,Wasif,Shyam..Now that my SS80 is fully functional and going great,I need few tips:
1.How do i get the best FE.Right now on A/C im getting 6-8 kmpl.Im going to change spark plugs soon.
2.I intend to go for either Alloys or Wheel caps.Which is better and suggest some designs that go with the car.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:25   #636
Senior - BHPian

Sealed beam spare

Guys,

A relative of mine has a 1984 M800. The left hand side sealed beam has failed. Where can I source a replacement for the same?

Drive On!!
Shibu.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:39   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suresh,Wasif,Shyam..Now that my SS80 is fully functional and going great,I need few tips:
1.How do i get the best FE.Right now on A/C im getting 6-8 kmpl.Im going to change spark plugs soon.
2.I intend to go for either Alloys or Wheel caps.Which is better and suggest some designs that go with the car.
1.tips for improving FE, get new condensor,points, sparkplugs(OE was NGK),do a clean up of the MIKUNI carb if possible,change the gaskets.
2.alloys- stick to the original rims and get a good set of radials+ metal wheel caps by COX
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:56   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Guys,

A relative of mine has a 1984 M800. The left hand side sealed beam has failed. Where can I source a replacement for the same?

Drive On!!
Shibu.
If your relative is willing to part with both the sealed beams in exchange for standard dome..please do inform me i would be much obliged .
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:10   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is definitely something wrong if you are getting that poor mileage.

Get a new set of plugs / points / condensor and spark plug cables. These are essential to optimise mileage.

Then fget the timing looked at.

Open one of the plugs and see what colour is the tip. This will tell you volumes about why its drinking as instead of gently sipping !!!
Old 24th October 2009, 00:07   #640
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys..changing plugs is my next phase of refinement.
I managed to hold on to OE rims and got fitted rather nice 5-spoke wheel caps in metal and they look good.Did also a very light Suzuki logo stickering to spruce up the looks.Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 24th October 2009, 09:38   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
If your relative is willing to part with both the sealed beams in exchange for standard dome..please do inform me i would be much obliged .
he is asking for one sealed beam and you are asking him to give his both sealed beams to you!!!
Old 24th October 2009, 09:56   #642
Senior - BHPian

My Modded SS80

Some of my T-BHP friends suggested i do a light stickering job and add wheel caps for my SS80 and i immediatly followed the advise immediatly.
Here is the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa240009.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa240010.jpg  

Old 24th October 2009, 13:47   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some of my T-BHP friends suggested i do a light stickering job and add wheel caps for my SS80 and i immediatly followed the advise immediatly.
Here is the outcome.
Hmmm....well, no offence meant ram. But I feel that the stickering is a bit more than light! Especially the white SUZUKI emblem on the door- makes it look like some kind of ad car, sorry!

Also I thought you said you were fitting some chrome 5-spoke wheelcaps on the car?
Old 24th October 2009, 15:08   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hmmm....well, no offence meant ram. But I feel that the stickering is a bit more than light! Especially the white SUZUKI emblem on the door- makes it look like some kind of ad car, sorry!

Also I thought you said you were fitting some chrome 5-spoke wheelcaps on the car?
Thanks for the honest opinion Shyam.I appreicate that.The Racing decals are not really meant for your taste.
The problem is I have fallen in love with the car and its stickering.So it is out to stay...Ad car or bad car

I did look out for alloys but all were straight spoke designs and Im a big fan of 5 Spoke and this petal shaped wheel caps did the job,saving me quite a bit of money too.

Last edited by hillram : 24th October 2009 at 15:14.
Old 24th October 2009, 15:14   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Well, Hillram's sticker jobs for his cars always draw a mixed response (see comments for other cars in his garage) but I do appreciate all that he does to make his cars stand out. And this one sure looks hot in red and that stickering.

@hillram: If possible do try and hunt for good set of alloys, will definately add alot to the looks or atleast get the steel rims painted black.

EDIT-and why not extend that white racing strip on the doors to the front fenders?
The little patch before the wheel arch looks left out IMO.
Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 24th October 2009 at 15:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks