Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 17:25   #661
Senior - BHPian

this SS80 thread which has been in and out of this forum has completed 50000 viewswhich shows the interest in this model.
I thank all Team Bhpians and SS80 fans for their interest in this thread.
Old 4th November 2009, 17:43   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Here is the link to the article on Tata Nano and SS80 which first featured in the Autocar September issue .

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/t...10/12/&prd=mp&

Nice article. Good way of comparision as well
Old 5th November 2009, 08:38   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
this SS80 thread which has been in and out of this forum has completed 50000 viewswhich shows the interest in this model.
I thank all Team Bhpians and SS80 fans for their interest in this thread.
Kudos to you, Ajay for having started this thread and providing all enthusiasts with much needed details about the SS80. This thread is by far the most comprehensive resource for any info on the SS80.

Cheers! Keep it up!
Old 5th November 2009, 08:42   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
SEALED BEAM(head lamp, auto light)-Large Photo & Picture

this is the ad for the repro type sealed beam for ss80 available occassionally in some shops. price ranges from 1500- 1800 for a pair.
This Sealed Beam is made by Wagner.

Link to their website.

Federal-Mogul - Wagner Sealed-Beam Headlamps

Last edited by sureshkishore : 5th November 2009 at 08:46.
Old 5th November 2009, 15:58   #665
Senior - BHPian

Suresh,Ajay,Wasif:
My SS80 has developped offlate an issue of overheating.The temperature guage is past 1/2 mark and reaches full on a AC Blast.This scares me terribly where the engine will crack.
After a thorough check of Radiator,water circulation,i dont find any issues there.
Upon an investigation by my mechanic,he slowly revealed that the engine is weak and needs an overhaul.
What are the implications and consequences and also dent to the purse?
I pondered the idea of loading a new Zen/esteem engine,but that would shatter the originality of the car.Hence i dont want to even think in that angle.
Your advise please.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:02   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Suresh,Ajay,Wasif:
My SS80 has developped offlate an issue of overheating.The temperature guage is past 1/2 mark and reaches full on a AC Blast.This scares me terribly where the engine will crack.
After a thorough check of Radiator,water circulation,i dont find any issues there.
Upon an investigation by my mechanic,he slowly revealed that the engine is weak and needs an overhaul.
I pondered the idea of loading a new Zen/esteem engine,but that would shatter the originality of the car.Hence i dont want to even think in that angle.
Your advise please.
my opinion is dont go for engine specs change.
try to overhaul the engine, engines spares are still available from MGP.
also try to get a good original engine from the scrapyard.
try to get the ss80 workshop manual also,it will be a great help
Old 5th November 2009, 17:18   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suresh,Ajay,Wasif:
Your advise please.
Have you taken it to MASS? Overheating may not mean there is a chance of engine failure, i avoid mechanics who tell me thinks like your clutch will last for another 10k Kms etc.

Pramod
Old 5th November 2009, 19:15   #668
Senior - BHPian

Boss that is a load of crap.

How is overheating connected to a worn engine anyway?

If the engine is worn you will have a high oil consumption coupled with loss of power and the car willbe giving out dark smoke. Does your car do any of this ?

Now on an airconditioned Maruti the temp gauge will always settle around the halfway mark if everything is going fine. If it is actually overheating please get the thermostat checked and have teh cooling system flushed.

Maybe the old owners added water instead of running the system on coolant exclusively and ther is rust / dirt clogging the system.

Also check if the fans are working as they should too.

What is the mileage on the car anyway ?

Going for a Zen engine might not work not so sure about it though but if it can fit then suggest you hang on to the old engine and upgrade to Zen power for a littl more fun in driving the car.

Last edited by wasif : 5th November 2009 at 19:16.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:26   #669
Senior - BHPian

The mileage on odo shows 65k,but i feel it is dodged.
Right now im getting a poor mileage..around 10kmpl.
AC Fan seems to be weak..need a replacement.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:53   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mileage on odo shows 65k,but i feel it is dodged.
Right now im getting a poor mileage..around 10kmpl.
AC Fan seems to be weak..need a replacement.
One of my earlier cars were a guinea pig with a mech, i had a my car taking jhatkas like there is no fuel, dude replaced 4 shocks suspension arms steering rake, and clutch. Obviously dads trusted mech, when i asked him he was like babuji (my dad) asked me to fix everything so i did this, so i told him dude the problem is with jhatkas, so he said he had ordered a fuel pump which is on its way from kashmiri gate(delhi). after he replaces that the car is still doing the same turns out to be a faulty porulator fuel filter worth 60 rs, total bill 14 thousand, things i have extra courtsy him clutch and pressure plate, 4 shocks suspension arm, ball joints, tie rod ends a steering rake and a fully working fuel pump replaced by some cheap japnese make pump,(dude was about to put some contessa tuk-tuk pump).

@hillram, i have seen your collection in your garage and all of them are timeless clasics, they are special cars of their time, special cars need special mechanics. please dont let any guy under the tree touch it, they take out most of the working parts of the car on the pretext of replacing faulty parts with cheap quality stuff and they do a favour to you by taking all the old parts for a very low price. I remember getting my esteem painted at Karkhana, the dude took one month to finish the car (he did not touch it) and then painted the entire car in a day . He initially quoted 12 k, but took 10 k saying the paint is cheaper, later i realized he used aspa paint to paint the car and when the paint started giving away, i to the car to him, he was ready to help but says it will take a week, so i knew i am in for a really long wait again. Unfortunately my car got totaled on a trip to nagarjuna sagar, so i dont mind now, any ways please treat this beauty with atmost care and dont let any guy touch her. you would be surprised in a year or so you would get really crazy offers for her, which would make you feel all the money spent was worth.

Just my 2 cents

Pramod
Old 5th November 2009, 21:07   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suresh,Ajay,Wasif:
Your advise please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Boss that is a load of crap.

How is overheating connected to a worn engine anyway?

If the engine is worn you will have a high oil consumption coupled with loss of power and the car willbe giving out dark smoke. Does your car do any of this ?

Now on an airconditioned Maruti the temp gauge will always settle around the halfway mark if everything is going fine. If it is actually overheating please get the thermostat checked and have teh cooling system flushed.

Maybe the old owners added water instead of running the system on coolant exclusively and ther is rust / dirt clogging the system.

Also check if the fans are working as they should too.

Ram i would agree with wasif that the mech is just taking you for a big ride.The problem of over heating in maruti's is mostly due to the thermostat.Just get the elbow where the radiator hose is going into the water pump opened and see if the thermostat is there or not.If it is there and is rusted then you know that the previous owner has added instead of coolant in it.But my advice to you is just take out the thermostat and let it be the problem of over heating should sort out on its own after that.Be carful while getting the elbow opened because the bolts are generally jamed in due to water and as a result they break while trying to open it.If that happens then you would have to open the manifold take it to a machine shop and get it opened.

One more thing is that you would have to get the radiator out to open the elbow at the same time check the condition and mayb take a call on changing it along with the fan.
Old 5th November 2009, 22:37   #672
Senior - BHPian

Overheating:

Thank you wasif and indrojit. My Maruti 800 (1987 new shape) used to have the same overheating problem. After trying out every possible remedy in the world, it did turn out to be a simple thermostat AND cooling system clean up problem.
I seriously used to think it is because of an old engine (85K km) and that major work was in the pipeline !
I'm sure many Maruti 800 owners do/will have a similar predicament, and this advice will help.

Love this thread guys, keep up the good work !!
Old 5th November 2009, 23:09   #673
Senior - BHPian

Well thanks guys..it certainly demystifies the saga.
I need to sit with the mechanics and sort it out.
My hunch is that the engine is in a good condition.As rightly pointed out its the AC,Cooling system,Thermostat which are giving the heartburn.
Shall keep you all posted.
Old 5th November 2009, 23:12   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My hunch is that the engine is in a good condition.As rightly pointed out its the AC,Cooling system,Thermostat which are giving the heartburn.
Well i'll suggest you don't put in another thermostat and just run it without one.The problem will go for sure.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:24   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Your engine is ok if:
1. It pulls well.
2. There isn't any white smoke from the exhaust upon acceleration
3. There isn't any metallic harsh noise at high revs
4. Coolant Shows no trace of oil or vice versa.

High Temp could be a result of either:

1. Faulty Thermo Switch. (if working fine should turn on the cooling fan just about the temperature guage half way mark)
2. Clogged Radiator: Flush the radiator and put in new coolant.
3. Weak Cooling Fan: Check the air Flow when its switched on compare to another car if weak then replace.
4.A loose fan coupler that located is just below the battery case in the engine room.... this one my friend i am talking from experience.

Take it to a good MASS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks