Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 10:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Guys! Picked up a Maruti SS80 DX few months back but brought it to Chennai only last week. So Iam on the restoration process straight away and would need help from all the SS80 enthusiasts and owners over there.

Will post my queries as when required.
is the SS80DX a white one from Bangalore ?
Anyway post the photos .
if any doubts about its original features please do PM me
Old 27th November 2008, 13:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Guys! Picked up a Maruti SS80 DX few months back but brought it to Chennai only last week. So Iam on the restoration process straight away and would need help from all the SS80 enthusiasts and owners over there.

Will post my queries as when required.
Congrats on the new buy dude, Does it have all the"DX" bits intact??(Stereo, leather seats etc) Pls post some pix of ur new ride.
Old 11th January 2009, 23:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys! 'had been searching for pics. of SS80s when I just stumbled across this thread! Although I've been here before, I'll be a more frequent visitor, now that I've bought one (chocolate brown aug. '85) SS80 myself!

'will be posting pics. soon.......it's quite a decent car, mechanically and bodily , barring the cheap "Aspa" paint coat. Interiors are rather scruffy and need to be redone. Plus need some fittings like tail-lights etc.
Any chance of finding NOS parts like grille (mine is intact but rather faded), the original Japanese tail-lights, door handles (different form those on later models)?? I may not need them at the moment, being able to manage with local parts but if I do get these, nothing like it!
Old 12th January 2009, 18:28   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
is the SS80DX a white one from Bangalore ?
Anyway post the photos .
if any doubts about its original features please do PM me
Yes you are partially right Ajay. Its a bangalore car but bought in Pondicherry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Congrats on the new buy dude, Does it have all the"DX" bits intact??(Stereo, leather seats etc) Pls post some pix of ur new ride.
Thanks JayD! No it is lackng in some orginal DX features like the Clarion stereo and the Stanley seat covers. Anyway the car is right now in the paint shop so would post the pictures when it ready next week.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:36   #80
BHPian

I still remember my first ride in a family friend's Maruti 800DX. The quietness of the car, the cooling from the a/c, the soft music from the stereo. The novel colours- red, brown, sky blue, dark green all looked refreshing. I saw advertisements for used Maruti from Bombay in the Times which was in those days delivered a day late in Cochin. (It was Bombay/ Cochin then- not Mumbai/ Kochi). Some colours carried premiums in the market. Nowadays I can seldom spot one. A relative had one years back. If I ever find one, I'm dead certain I shall buy it.
Old 13th January 2009, 23:59   #81
BANNED

Aah, Great thread, Way back in 1999 before we got hold of our 1997 M-800, we owned a SS80 DX for a day, We parted with it since the owner got a bit more demanding over 45K when we had settled it for 43K.

And after 8 yrs my friend has gifted me an opportunity to restore a bare, shoddy, almost the best of worst conditioned 1983 SS80 DX.

Would be glued to this thread for more pics.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:27   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi guys! 'had been searching for pics. of SS80s when I just stumbled across this thread! Although I've been here before, I'll be a more frequent visitor, now that I've bought one (chocolate brown aug. '85) SS80 myself!

'will be posting pics. soon.......it's quite a decent car, mechanically and bodily , barring the cheap "Aspa" paint coat. Interiors are rather scruffy and need to be redone. Plus need some fittings like tail-lights etc.
Any chance of finding NOS parts like grille (mine is intact but rather faded), the original Japanese tail-lights, door handles (different form those on later models)?? I may not need them at the moment, being able to manage with local parts but if I do get these, nothing like it!

wow! Another one joins the club!! Congrats! lets have some pix now! The parts are more or less available, but u'll have to search real hard. Recently, i found a set of NOS original SGP doorpads for the ss80, still in the original box!!
Old 15th January 2009, 21:51   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
wow! Another one joins the club!! Congrats! lets have some pix now! The parts are more or less available, but u'll have to search real hard. Recently, i found a set of NOS original SGP doorpads for the ss80, still in the original box!!
Thanks chettA! Yes, pics. will be uploaded *soon* (), once she's in a better state- atleast externally!

What about Stanley made in Japan Headlamps?? Are they still available new?
Old 16th January 2009, 15:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks chettA! Yes, pics. will be uploaded *soon* (), once she's in a better state- atleast externally!

What about Stanley made in Japan Headlamps?? Are they still available new?
yea, this promise is from a person who still owes me pics of a certain select, since 4 months!

The Genuine stanley sealed beams are quite hard to find these days.They are of superior quality and still shine well after 25 years. The sealed beams were stanley, whereas the others were lumax, under license from stanley, which can be found easily.

Last edited by JayD : 16th January 2009 at 15:26.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:53   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yea, this promise is from a person who still owes me pics of a certain select, since 4 months!
Uh, I DID upload newer pics. of the select (now sold), here as well as in my orkut profile! Please check!
Old 17th January 2009, 03:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo
A relative had one years back. If I ever find one, I'm dead certain I shall buy it.
These are available easily.still not a rare thing ,I suppose.There is a brown(I dont know the exact shade) SS80(very old in looks) in good condition for sale by a mechanic guy at Intimate maruti service,Opp.Nirmala College ,Muvattupuzha.check for yourself ,if passes through this route.
Old 17th January 2009, 08:53   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
These are available easily.still not a rare thing ,I suppose.There is a brown(I dont know the exact shade) SS80(very old in looks) in good condition for sale by a mechanic guy at Intimate maruti service,Opp.Nirmala College ,Muvattupuzha.check for yourself ,if passes through this route.

SS80s are available in many places, but finding a good/original one is quite next to impossible these days!
Old 21st January 2009, 00:40   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I need some help- does anyone know if you can get the original (or atleast as good in quality) rubbers for the rear quarter glasses on either side??
What about the pseudo stainless steel beading that sits in the front windscreen rubber?
I presume these will get more and more difficult to find as days go so better to stock up on OEs or atleast something that's as good.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SS80s are available in many places, but finding a good/original one is quite next to impossible these days!
there are lot of SS80 standards with good originality(some even single owner ones) available in many small towns and suburban areas in KERALA , Tamil nadu,etc. the usual price quoted is around Rs.25000-30000/.
But the problem is some guys who due to their luck/ who have already got hold of one starts spreading rumours like that these cars are valuable and will command 'premium prices' which makes the owners reluctant to part with it.!!!
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

^A good condition ss80 sold for around rs45000 from adimaly to cochin. .consider that!and @ajai ,it is true that a lot of good originality ss80 are available in suburban towns.and unlike me ,most of the fellas(rural/suburban towns) knows that we need to keep the originality of oldies.

Most Viewed