Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 22:14   #961
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
First of all the car does not look like it has run just 12000kms!!! after all it is just a claim made by the owner.
Mr.99,
You mean to say you know more than the owner?!!

Quote:
Please see the luggage rack(as pointed by sureshkishore) and also the faded worn look of the side indicators, the dent on the front left door, the faded,c-pillar-garnish.etc
Mr.99,
What logic you have!

Why can't the parts fade when a car is driven less. When a car is not being used, its not covered with blanket and stored in a air tight container.

Regarding the dent, even a new car in the assembly line can have a dent!

P.S: What all classic cars you OWN?

Last edited by EARTHed : 29th October 2010 at 22:16.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:43   #962
BHPian

Quote:
First of all the car does not look like it has run just 12000kms!!! after all it is just a claim made by the owner.Please see the luggage rack(as pointed by sureshkishore) and also the faded worn look of the side indicators, the dent on the front left door, the faded,c-pillar-garnish.etc
Regarding the dealer sticker/PDI sticker I have seen junk SS80's with such items intact.Anyway more photos will bring out whether the owners claim is how close to reality.
How can you judge the mileage of the car looking at the "luggage rack" , "faded worn out indicators " the faded C pillar garnish and a dent on the left Door. The car is 25 years old and will have these visible wear and tear items . These are no way indicative of the Mileage that the car has done.

Since you also do not substantiate your claims of "genuine " low mileage vehicles with photographs your comment "after all it is just a claim made by the owner " looks pretty out of place.

PS - Just saw your comment Earthed , totally Agree with your reasoning.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th October 2010 at 00:40. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 29th October 2010, 23:51   #963
Senior - BHPian

Im bumping into this thread after a long time.Though I dont own any more my SS80,all I can say is that i regret selling it.Some of my lovely city drives were in this car.
Good to see Suresh and Ajay 99 keep up their passion for this car.
Old 30th October 2010, 07:58   #964
BHPian

@hillram: Sad to hear that you have sold off your SS80.

Guess It was Space constraint, that forced you for the difficult move.

@EARTHed: & AJAY99: Lets not get into an argument about how genuine mileage is judging from a distant shot of the car. May be the owner is right may be he is not. That car appears to be quite original from the picture.PERIOD. For more details request @EARTHED to post more pics, with the owners permission.
Old 30th October 2010, 13:04   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Mr.99,
You mean to say you know more than the owner?!!

I never ever said that.What I meant was that there are such tall claims made by owners which may not the real fact once you see the car in detail.am saying this based on experience especially regarding SS80 which is/was not definitely a premium/luxury/niche car.

Mr.99,
What logic you have!

Why can't the parts fade when a car is driven less. When a car is not being used, its not covered with blanket and stored in a air tight container.
Regarding the dent, even a new car in the assembly line can have a dent!

P.S: What all classic cars you OWN?
It seems that you are not familiar with the japanese plastic lenses used in SS80.the OE suppliers were TOKAI DENSO and those lenses were of such high quality that they never got faded even in cars which were used as daily runner(Unlike the LUMAX and Alpha toyo) .So a car which claims to have run less than less than 40 kms in a month(on an average) will definitely be having thoses lens as good as new.
As far as my knowledge goes, no new car buyer will take a dented car from the showrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
How can you judge the mileage of the car looking at the "luggage rack" , "faded worn out indicators " the faded C pillar garnish and a dent on the left Door. The car is 25 years old and will have these visible wear and tear items . These are no way indicative of the Mileage that the car has done.

Since you also do not substantiate your claims of "genuine " low mileage vehicles with photographs your comment "after all it is just a claim made by the owner " looks pretty out of place.

PS - Just saw your comment Earthed , totally Agree with your reasoning.
The owner has claimed it has done ""only 12000kms'''.All of you will agree that it is something Unusual and strange for a common mans car of the eightees to have done only 12000kms in 25years .that means the car has done less than 40kms average in a month .If that is true, then the wear and tear mentioned will definitely be not there.
as the saying goes ""If it sounds too good to be true,then it is not true"" (unless proved otherwise)
Regarding substantiating of my claims of low mileage vehicles,if you have been following this thread you would not have made that statement.I had posted the photos of the white SS80 with the PDI,OK sticker years ago.

Anyway since you have asked for photos here are some photos of one real genuine low mileage SS80 cars
1984 SS80 DX - sureshkishore's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
Old 30th October 2010, 14:12   #966
BHPian

Query regarding Maruti 800(SS80)

@suresh and ajay - After seeing pictures of suresh's Maruti 800 I have some query.

My uncle's friend had an 1985 maruti 800(SS80) red colour which had full HVAC(with original markings) , different type of digital clock(when compared to Suresh's car).
It had a cigarette lighter fitted but no leather seats.He said it was a DX Maruti 800.
When I saw Suresh's car photos of center console it had no cigarette lighter and only A/C no heater but had leather seats.
Could it be that after 1984 model there might have been some changes in equipment list or he may have added equipment later?

Today I saw Maruti 800(SS80) displayed in the showroom of competent motors (Moti Nagar).It was chocolate brown in colour with leather seats and some fake wood inserts and beige upholstery.The wheel rim belonged to alto.
I will post pictures after taking permission for taking photo of the car from showroom when I visit showroom next time

There is Maruti 800 (SS80) belonging to my neighbour which is converted to run in CNG and is in a very poor state with rust.Pictures of this 800 I will post soon( with permission of the neighbour).

Suresh Your car looks in concurs condition but i noticed there is a scratch in the bumper from the photos-What Happened?
Old 30th October 2010, 17:16   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
@suresh and ajay - After seeing pictures of suresh's Maruti 800 I have some query.

My uncle's friend had an 1985 maruti 800(SS80) red colour which had full HVAC(with original markings) , different type of digital clock(when compared to Suresh's car).
It had a cigarette lighter fitted but no leather seats.He said it was a DX Maruti 800.
When I saw Suresh's car photos of center console it had no cigarette lighter and only A/C no heater but had leather seats.
Could it be that after 1984 model there might have been some changes in equipment list or he may have added equipment later?

Today I saw Maruti 800(SS80) displayed in the showroom of competent motors (Moti Nagar).It was chocolate brown in colour with leather seats and some fake wood inserts and beige upholstery.The wheel rim belonged to alto.
I will post pictures after taking permission for taking photo of the car from showroom when I visit showroom next time

There is Maruti 800 (SS80) belonging to my neighbour which is converted to run in CNG and is in a very poor state with rust.Pictures of this 800 I will post soon( with permission of the neighbour).

Suresh Your car looks in concurs condition but i noticed there is a scratch in the bumper from the photos-What Happened?
The heater was factory optional equipment and was available to cold climate destinations in INDIA.It was not available/nor needed in hot sunny south.the cigarrette lighter was Dealer option and is seen in many standard SS80 cars here also.Did your friends car have Maruti clarion stereo and seat belts?
If it didnt then it could be an SS80 A/C TG( or semi deluxe to some)
There was only one type of OE clock which came in the deluxe.please see the first page of this thread for detailed features of DX model
Old 30th October 2010, 19:48   #968
BHPian

Quote:
It seems that you are not familiar with the japanese plastic lenses used in SS80.the OE suppliers were TOKAI DENSO and those lenses were of such high quality that they never got faded even in cars which were used as daily runner(Unlike the LUMAX and Alpha toyo) .So a car which claims to have run less than less than 40 kms in a month(on an average) will definitely be having thoses lens as good as new.
As far as my knowledge goes, no new car buyer will take a dented car from the showrooom

The owner has claimed it has done ""only 12000kms'''.All of you will agree that it is something Unusual and strange for a common mans car of the eightees to have done only 12000kms in 25years .that means the car has done less than 40kms average in a month .If that is true, then the wear and tear mentioned will definitely be not there.
as the saying goes ""If it sounds too good to be true,then it is not true"" (unless proved otherwise)
Regarding substantiating of my claims of low mileage vehicles,if you have been following this thread you would not have made that statement.I had posted the photos of the white SS80 with the PDI,OK sticker years ago.

Anyway since you have asked for photos here are some photos of one real genuine low mileage SS80 cars
1984 SS80 DX - sureshkishore's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

"PDI OK "stickers do not entail that the car has Low mileage . I still cannot comprehend how can you define " mileage wear and tear " from things like Faded side indicators and door trim . You have commented that the original glasses were of excellent quality and not prone to fading , however can you conclusively prove from the enclosed snap that these are the "original glasses" not something that the owner replaced due to Accident/misc damage.

I am not a frequent poster in this thread (or even the forum as a whole ) but follow the SS80 thread pretty enthusiastically
Old 30th October 2010, 20:13   #969
BHPian

@ajay- Thanks for answering my questions.

I spotted this Maruti 800(SS80) as a display vehicle in Competent motors showroom in Moti Nagar today
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-12092010027.jpg
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-12092010026.jpg
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-12092010025.jpg
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-12092010024.jpg

If you see the wheel rims closely it belongs to Alto.The seat fabrics are aftermarket and non OE.The condition of paint was excellent but the maruti and 800 badges are missing .
The vehicle is not for sale just for display purposes on enquiry

Below another Maruti 800(SS80) in maroon colour with roof rails just parked outside the showroom.
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-12092010028.jpg
Old 30th October 2010, 21:57   #970
BHPian

@ frozenintime: Thanks for sharing those great pics. Seems the car is well cared for.

@wbd8557: You cannot conclude anything from a distant Mobile Cam photo. So request that further discussion on the topic continue only after EARTHed posts better photos that shows more details.

Glad that you are an active follower of the SS80 thread. Please share your valuable inputs to the thread.

@Ajay99: I havent come across the ss80 with the heater option. Nor is it mentioned in the A/C manual. Was that a separate option in DX or was is in Standard also.
@Frozenintime: Would appreciate if photo of your uncles friend's car is posted.
Old 30th October 2010, 22:43   #971
BHPian

@Sureshkishore - Sorry I don't have any pictures. I have some details about the car that I can share-
The car was registered in Bombay(Mumbai) 1985 model.
The car was brought to Delhi in 1995 and was used for few years after which it was sold in 2000.The colour of the car was red colour.It had close to 1.5 lakh kilometers in odometer and was sold for Rs10,000.

Regarding the heater , It really had a heater which did not appear retro fitted as blower switch had both (hot)red and blue(cool) markings.
@ajay-I forgot to mention that it it had DX badge.So It can't be semi deluxe model. It did have stereo with 2 speakers( I don't remember the make) but no seat belts.
Old 30th October 2010, 22:54   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
@ frozenintime: Thanks for sharing those great pics. Seems the car is well cared for.

@wbd8557: You cannot conclude anything from a distant Mobile Cam photo. So request that further discussion on the topic continue only after EARTHed posts better photos that shows more details.

Glad that you are an active follower of the SS80 thread. Please share your valuable inputs to the thread.

@Ajay99: I havent come across the ss80 with the heater option. Nor is it mentioned in the A/C manual. Was that a separate option in DX or was is in Standard also.
@Frozenintime: Would appreciate if photo of your uncles friend's car is posted.

Would agree Suresh , the only point that i wanted to convey was that we were singularly discarding "eartheds"s claim regarding the mileage based on factors like "condition of trim " and "indicator glasses" , which i found quite amusing.

Regards
Old 31st October 2010, 09:39   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
@Sureshkishore - Sorry I don't have any pictures. I have some details about the car that I can share-
The car was registered in Bombay(Mumbai) 1985 model.
The car was brought to Delhi in 1995 and was used for few years after which it was sold in 2000.The colour of the car was red colour.It had close to 1.5 lakh kilometers in odometer and was sold for Rs10,000.

Regarding the heater , It really had a heater which did not appear retro fitted as blower switch had both (hot)red and blue(cool) markings.
@ajay-I forgot to mention that it it had DX badge.So It can't be semi deluxe model. It did have stereo with 2 speakers( I don't remember the make) but no seat belts.
in those days original DX badges were available aplenty and many standard car owners used to put it(just to make their car appear as DX .If it didnt have seat belts you can conclude that it is not a DX model
Old 31st October 2010, 09:46   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
"PDI OK "stickers do not entail that the car has Low mileage . I still cannot comprehend how can you define " mileage wear and tear " from things like Faded side indicators and door trim . You have commented that the original glasses were of excellent quality and not prone to fading , however can you conclusively prove from the enclosed snap that these are the "original glasses" not something that the owner replaced due to Accident/misc damage.

I am not a frequent poster in this thread (or even the forum as a whole ) but follow the SS80 thread pretty enthusiastically
I mentioned original lenses (plastic) not glasses. the person who posted had affirmatively said that it was fully original.Based on that only, I made the comment.Also note that I have never said that existence of PDI or OK stickers ensure low mileage,but they are indicators of how the car was maintained.Let the guy who made the claim put up the detailed photos of the car here, then we can discuss this more comprehensively
Old 31st October 2010, 09:56   #975
Senior - BHPian

From the picture it appear that it is a well kept repeat kept car and would not have clocked many a KMs. The body finish and the wheel discs amply conveys. That car is definitely involved in any accident.for sure.

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st October 2010 at 09:57.

Most Viewed