Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 20:09   #1306
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post

When you restore it after spending such a lot of money, you will definitely expect some returns from such a large 'investment', which you are not going to receive for a long time, whether you try to sell the car again or if you intend it as a show car!

Do not get misled by this thread and the hype created and get stuck with a 'white elephant'.

Cheers!
Dear Kevinephram,

"Return On Investment" would be the last thing on an enthusiasts mind while taking the plunge in restoring an automobile that is close to his heart.

And if you really wants to make money in restoring and selling old cars I really think you should be looking elsewhere. Personally I feel there are better business ideas.

Cheers
Old 26th February 2012, 18:20   #1307
BHPian

guys... please guide me if i should get an aircon installed in my SS80 Std.
the engine is in a very good condition with over 175,000 having been overhauled once at 125,000.

also let me know if I get an aircon installed what things i should be particular about.
waiting eagerly for your suggestions
Old 26th February 2012, 18:45   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
the engine is in a very good condition with over 175,000 having been overhauled once at 125,000.

also let me know if I get an aircon installed what things i should be particular about.
It will be not practical. As it is the car has served its life to you with so many years and miles. Secondly the AC installer guy will drill/cut holes in the flooring for those AC gas pipes,which is not done anywhere with correct hole cutters,and the remaining portions of the holes after gas pipes fixed will invite dust,heat,lizards,cockroaches etc. AC compressor will be installed with that ugly looking bracket. End result will be the car getting overheated ,no chilled cooling, already tired engine will be doing additional work of driving a AC compressor. Instead buy a car DX model with AC fitted by Maruti Factory. I had same problems with my earlier car with AC installed at later stage.The car was with the AC guy for repairs most of the time. End result I had to SELL the car......
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 10:03   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

please dont spoil the car by retrofitting an A/C
Old 4th March 2012, 12:49   #1310
BHPian

After searching high and low, finally my very own SS80.
Currently at my mechanic for some minor work.

This is a 1985 Standard model.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-3.jpg  

Old 4th March 2012, 21:43   #1311
BHPian

Hi Gods-Envy,

Thats a nice car you have got there. And by the looks of the engine room the car has not been much tampered with. Even the mitsubishi headlight relay is intact. The car looks nice in the Germain Red color.
The roof gutter trim and the rear stripes if added would complete the exterior looks.

Cheers!
Old 5th March 2012, 00:26   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
Congrats. Thats a nice car.

Why is it at the mechanic's? The car looks perfect. Engine bay looks really clean. IMO, there is no other pre-1990 car on which stickers look so damn good.
Old 5th March 2012, 00:32   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. It is nice to know that you finally got a ss80, a good one at that. Your efforts in searching around has finally brought result. The engine bay looks pristine and the Germaine Red colour was an envy then.
Take care and drive safe

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th March 2012 at 00:34.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:16   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Hi Gods-Envy,

Thats a nice car you have got there. And by the looks of the engine room the car has not been much tampered with. Even the mitsubishi headlight relay is intact. The car looks nice in the Germain Red color.
The roof gutter trim and the rear stripes if added would complete the exterior looks.

Cheers!
Thank you Suresh but definitely not in the league as yours . Still a long way to go to get it even close to an original factory condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Congrats. Thats a nice car.

Why is it at the mechanic's? The car looks perfect. Engine bay looks really clean. IMO, there is no other pre-1990 car on which stickers look so damn good.
Thank you DudewithaFiat, The car is at the mechanics for some minor work, like wheel alignment, rear light fixing (was missing when I got it), etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Congrats. It is nice to know that you finally got a ss80, a good one at that. Your efforts in searching around has finally brought result. The engine bay looks pristine and the Germaine Red colour was an envy then.
Take care and drive safe
Thanks Rajeev. The paint actually looks bad/not done well. I would probably get it painted in a few month's time.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:33   #1315
BHPian

was in kashmere gate auto market, delhi over the weekend to source Master Cylinder for my ss80... a dealer there seems to have stocked up a lot of parts and somehow is thinking to getting rid of him.. spoke to him at length.. he would get a list of all the parts prepared very soon and then we can share it here.. would be a boon for all of us searching for critical parts of our beloved ss80s

Quote:

This is a 1985 Standard model.
good acquisition i must say.. such cars are rare to find in todays scenario where love for classics is still in the nascent stages....

post some pics of the interiors also.. also the car seems to be a std version.. do check me if i m incorrect..

if u plan to keep one for long would suggest you to upgrade to radials...

congrats once again...

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2012 at 21:15. Reason: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:43   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
was in kashmere gate auto market, delhi over the weekend to source Master Cylinder for my ss80... a dealer there seems to have stocked up a lot of parts and somehow is thinking to getting rid of him.. spoke to him at length.. he would get a list of all the parts prepared very soon and then we can share it here.. would be a boon for all of us searching for critical parts of our beloved ss80s
Another person by the name of Anvino has a group on Facebook as well who too can source parts as required.
Suzuki SS80 (First Maruti 800) 1983-1986 | Facebook

Quote:
good acquisition i must say.. such cars are rare to find in todays scenario where love for classics is still in the nascent stages....

post some pics of the interiors also.. also the car seems to be a std version.. do check me if i m incorrect..

if u plan to keep one for long would suggest you to upgrade to radials...

congrats once again...
Thanks AshishC, Yes the car is a Standard variant. The front two tyres are radials and with pretty decent tread as well. The rear ones are not radials and I would change them in time.

I am actually getting the sunfilm removed. Will post interior pics then.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:46   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
It will be not practical. As it is the car has served its life to you with so many years and miles. Secondly the AC installer guy will drill/cut holes in the flooring for those AC gas pipes,which is not done anywhere with correct hole cutters,and the remaining portions of the holes after gas pipes fixed will invite dust,heat,lizards,cockroaches etc. AC compressor will be installed with that ugly looking bracket. End result will be the car getting overheated ,no chilled cooling, already tired engine will be doing additional work of driving a AC compressor. Instead buy a car DX model with AC fitted by Maruti Factory. I had same problems with my earlier car with AC installed at later stage.The car was with the AC guy for repairs most of the time. End result I had to SELL the car......
but a non-AC car becomes totally unusable in the extreme Delhi climates.. wouldnt a good fitter be able to do a decent job to the car.. the engine can certainly take the load, especially with a back condensor... anyone has any suggestions??
Old 5th March 2012, 21:06   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the acquisition Gods-envy, the car looks nice in the pics especially the engine bay. Don't go in for a respray anytime soon. Get the mechanicals in order and enjoy driving it. Cosmetic restoration can be done later on, just get it polished.
If possible do share some interior pics.
BTW mind sharing the cost of acquisition.
Old 5th March 2012, 21:56   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Congrats on the acquisition Gods-envy, the car looks nice in the pics especially the engine bay. Don't go in for a respray anytime soon. Get the mechanicals in order and enjoy driving it. Cosmetic restoration can be done later on, just get it polished.
If possible do share some interior pics.
BTW mind sharing the cost of acquisition.
Hi Samsag, Thank you.
No, I am not going in for a respray in the recent future. I would like to run it around for a few months and then get a good paint job done.

Today, I got the car polished and removed the sun film and now she looks much better.
Yes, shall post the latest as well as Interior pictures at the earliest.

Edit - The owner is expecting something between 30-35k for it

Last edited by gods-envy : 5th March 2012 at 21:57.
gods-envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 10:23   #1320
BHPian

As promised, a few snaps of my SS80
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_20120307_082755.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_20120307_082809.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_20120307_082831.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_20120307_082922.jpg  

gods-envy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed