Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 21:26   #1411
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Some time ago when I'd posted about this greyish shade of blue (which ajay99 had mentioned as 'Bayer Blue'- but I call it 'Railways Blue'! ) being introduced on the very last of the SS80s (around 1986), a few people had disagreed with me- even though I'd confirmed that I came across a car (being scrapped) that DID have this colour on as the original factory paint.

Here's a pic. taken around 1988 showing an SS80 in the background, in said colour. Likely to be original IMHO:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...gri-pnf-75.jpg
Old 16th October 2012, 22:21   #1412

Quote:
Please see this advt for a modded SS80 from the national capital

http://newdelhi.olx.in/maruti-800-ol...-iid-446729087

Note the price!!!
that price is way to high. I wonder what other modifications were done the car, especially to the engine.
Old 16th October 2012, 23:19   #1413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Here's a pic. taken around 1988 showing an SS80 in the background, in said colour. Likely to be original IMHO:
Yes i also have seen this color car and similar shade to what gypsy's came that time IIRC.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:34   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher
Some time ago when I'd posted about this greyish shade of blue (which ajay99 had mentioned as 'Bayer Blue'- but I call it 'Railways Blue'! ) being introduced on the very last of the SS80s (around 1986), a few people had disagreed with me- even though I'd confirmed that I came across a car (being scrapped) that DID have this colour on as the original factory paint.

Thats the Bayer blue shade, we had a maruti van in that shade.
Old 17th October 2012, 12:47   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To the best of my info,The Bayer blue(official colour shade name) was introduced only in 1987 Last and that time only SB308 was in existence. Since this photo was taken in 1988 there is high possibility that the car in the photo had a change of shade since this bayer blue along with biscuit cream were the shade models which was most sought after.SS80 came only in 5shades.
1.Apple Red
2.Francoise white
3.Powder Blue
4.NewZealand Brown
5 Green(in 1986)it came in the first batch of SB308 I dont know the exact name of this green- could be Bottle green or Leaf green
I Request suresh kishore to check and clear this doubt for once and all
Old 17th October 2012, 19:42   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
To the best of my info,The Bayer blue(official colour shade name) was introduced only in 1987 Last and that time only SB308 was in existence. Since this photo was taken in 1988 there is high possibility that the car in the photo had a change of shade
Yes we couldnt rule out the possibility that this might be a repaint in a 'current' colour as well. But I reiterate my point that the SS80 DID come in this particular shade of blue, as I'd personally come across one being scrapped a couple of years ago, and I'd checked every part of it including under the bonnet and even the inside of the roof with the lining stripped off and it had this colour everywhere, with no signs of a repaint over another colour. Hence it led to my conclusion. A few of the last ones even came in the darkish leaf/bottle green that Gypsies initially came with.
Old 18th October 2012, 18:25   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes we couldnt rule out the possibility that this might be a repaint in a 'current' colour as well. But I reiterate my point that the SS80 DID come in this particular shade of blue, as I'd personally come across one being scrapped a couple of years ago, and I'd checked every part of it including under the bonnet and even the inside of the roof with the lining stripped off and it had this colour everywhere, with no signs of a repaint over another colour. Hence it led to my conclusion. A few of the last ones even came in the darkish leaf/bottle green that Gypsies initially came with.
I have already mentioned that the leaf green( some say it was called emerald green) was a shade offered in the ss80 and it immediately continued in the first batch of SB308.The Francoise white,Apple red ,NewZealand brown also was the shades offered in the first batch of SB308.Only the Powder blue shade was replaced by the Electric blue in the SB308.So logically thinking it is highly unlikely that there was shade of blue(Bayer blue) in the SS80 in 1986.then why none of the SS80 afficionados are aware / or have seen such a shade ??
Regarding the scrapped car you see as having original paint - most likely it could be the powder blue which due to poor upkeep have faded giving rising to this doubt.
Old 18th October 2012, 18:53   #1418
BHPian

Hello,

This is my 1990 Maruti 800 DX with the japanese engine. I have replaced half of the car over time as it was pretty beat up and had more than 1L KM on the meter when i got it from previous 2 owners. But i still love it. That is my first car and i dont intend to sell it ever.. I know its not the SS80 but i believe it shares the same engine. Can somebody point out the differences other than the visible outlook? Also where can i find the original colour shades for this model?

Thanks,
Priyadarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-i21795.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-i21796.jpg  

priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 20:15   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
then why none of the SS80 afficionados are aware / or have seen such a shade ??
Probably because most of the people who did buy one such SS80 didnt want to retain that shade of blue thereafter, it being so ugly??
Personally I wouldnt!

Quote:
Regarding the scrapped car you see as having original paint - most likely it could be the powder blue which due to poor upkeep have faded giving rising to this doubt.
Ajay, I havent grown so old (yet) so my eyesight is still satisfactorily good!
I can very well spot the difference between Powder blue and Bayer/Railway blue! And the car I mention was VERY MUCH this BAYER BLUE!
And secondly, if, as you say, it was in Powder blue that had faded, how could it change to a DARKER shade of blue (viz. Bayer Blue) on fading??!

Anyways, I dont want to drag this ad infinitum. If we can't agree, let's agree to disagree.
Old 18th October 2012, 21:00   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hello,

This is my 1990 Maruti 800 DX with the japanese engine. I have replaced half of the car over time as it was pretty beat up and had more than 1L KM on the meter when i got it from previous 2 owners. But i still love it. That is my first car and i dont intend to sell it ever.. I know its not the SS80 but i believe it shares the same engine. Can somebody point out the differences other than the visible outlook? Also where can i find the original colour shades for this model?

Thanks,
Priyadarshan
The 1990 model SB308 did not come with the japanese engine but the indigenous Maruti engine.The last of the Original suzuki engines came in 1987models.For confirmation on the valve cover it will have maruti instead of Suzuki.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:31   #1421
Senior - BHPian

another good SS80 standard for sale ,albeit Unrealistic price!
http://kota.olx.in/maruti-suzuki-800-iid-448908954
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:23   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1990 model SB308 did not come with the japanese engine but the indigenous Maruti engine.The last of the Original suzuki engines came in 1987models.For confirmation on the valve cover it will have maruti instead of Suzuki.
I think the steering had SUZUKI in the centre instead of MARUTI in the Japaneese SB308s and IIRC, the opener switch on the bonnet had some red triangle design instead of the square Maruti logo that was present in the later models.

Quote:
another good SS80 standard for sale ,albeit Unrealistic price!
http://kota.olx.in/maruti-suzuki-800-iid-448908954
Ad says year as 1987 which is definitely wrong. SB308 model was introduced sometime mid 1986. So this has to be older than that.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:58   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
another good SS80 standard for sale ,albeit Unrealistic price!http://kota.olx.in/maruti-suzuki-800-iid-448908954
The model of the car is indicated as 1987 as per the ad. How come?
Edit-As Ajay said in the next post, the car appears quite genuine.

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd October 2012 at 15:09.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:06   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The model of the car is indicated as 1987 as per the ad. How come?
That is probably a typing error.The car looks genuine otherwise
Old 24th October 2012, 19:07   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I think the steering had SUZUKI in the centre instead of MARUTI in the Japaneese SB308s and IIRC, the opener switch on the bonnet had some red triangle design instead of the square Maruti logo that was present in the later models.

Ad says year as 1987 which is definitely wrong. SB308 model was introduced sometime mid 1986. So this has to be older than that.
The bonnet opener had the red triangle with 2 golden lines in all SB308cars till the beginning of 1988 or so.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks