Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:26   #61
BHPian

Well, guys have finally landed in the community which i had been looking for in ages.

Am a diehard fan of the original MARUTI SUZUKI 800 (SS80). Still own it since last 24 years. My dad bought it in early January 1984, when I was just 3 Years old. and BOY o BOY... how heads used to turn when the red coloured Japanese masterpeice flew on the road.

I guess, it came as a CBU in the initial days (correct me if i m wrong) with MIKUNI Carb, DENSO Radiator, STANLEY Sealed Beam Headlights and TOKAI DENSO Tail Lamps and Bulbs and BRIDGESTONE Tyres. Have driven the car within the family for almost 200,000 KMS without an engine and transmission overhaul and even some original light bulbs.

The car has a amazing driving position and handling till date and amongst my fav cars to drive in my other owned zens, accents and the swifts.

I am looking for someone who can and is willing to restore the car to as close as originality and treat it like a baby.

Cheers.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:41   #62
BHPian

Here are the pics of the SS80.

The Red car in the first pic is a 1986 model, it belongs to my sister & its not going back, am keeping it with me The White car i have no idea who it belonged to was parked next to my car. The red car in the second pic was with a friend who sold it a few months back for 16 Grand.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-image000.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-image055.jpg  

Last edited by egangsta : 22nd August 2008 at 15:43.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Ours was among the first batch delivered in Bangalore. It was like a breathe of fresh air at that time after the Contessas, Ambys and the Padminis. I vividly remember riding in the boot most of the time. This is one car that the entire family still misses.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thanks a lot man! Will start a new thread for it soon. here is a pic.
Hey, is that the same car I posted earlier? Looks like it!
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
Hey, is that the same car I posted earlier? Looks like it!
Err... From what angle does my blue car look like the white one u posted?
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:11   #66
BHPian

Oops.. Bad monitor? Sorry.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

[I guess, it came as a CBU in the initial days (correct me if i m wrong) with MIKUNI Carb, DENSO Radiator, STANLEY Sealed Beam Headlights and TOKAI DENSO Tail Lamps and Bulbs and BRIDGESTONE Tyres. Have driven the car within the family for almost 200,000 KMS without an engine and transmission overhaul and even some original light bulbs.)

it didnt come as CBU but as SKD and was assembled here in INDIA. with just the battery being an INDIAN make.
Old 15th November 2008, 23:15   #68

hey fellas..atul haldankar from mumbai here..I'm a hardcore DIY [Do it yourself] enthusiast..I own an RD350 and 2 RX135's which I work on myself. I love intricate machinery and engines ..Just inherited my dad's SS80..the car is in bad state..not been running for 5 years +

I wanna start with the engine first, since thats an area I can work on at home..I am not a huge fan of original parts and prefer functionality over aesthetics..I begin work on the head and the cylinders this week.

came across a few links on the internet and got this info

General specification:
Engine code: F8B
Capacity: 796cc
Nominal bore: 68.5mm
Stroke: 72.0mm
Compression ratio: 8.7:1
Max power output: >29.5kW/39.5bhp @ 5500rpm
Power output per litre: >37kW/49,7bhp
Power to weight ratio: 64,1bhp/ton (616Kg)
Max torque: 59 Nm @ 3000rpm
Torque per litre: 74,1Nm
Torque to weight ratio: 95,8Nm/ton
Intake 31.6mm Exhaust 27.6 (valve head diameter)
Rocker ratio: about 1.48

4 speed F8B gearbox gear ratio's:
Gear
Gear Ratio
Speed Ratio
43/12
39/18
32/24
27/30
Reverse
37/22x22/11
Final
87/20

I plan on reworking the head for better flow, and basically make it a more peppier car..i read that a few other similar models came with roller rockers and a more quieter engine. bigger valves would also help..

If anyone could direct me to a service manual/workshop manual..It'd be great..any tips, suggestions and criticism is welcome

also want to ask whats the scene with respect to availability of engine parts..are pistons and conrods easy to procure?

also, the F8C head [daewoo matiz] [as opposed to the F8B head we have on the indian variate] is almost identical...does anyone have any clues on this?

I'm sorry..too many questions..Hoping to get answers and get help..I'll post up pics and will be documenting my engine rebuild here..Hope to find help along the way

Cheers

Atul Haldankar
Old 16th November 2008, 00:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Is this car worth buying and keeping for sometime? will it appreciate?
Old 16th November 2008, 02:37   #70

dont know..dont care about resale..this car has been with dad since back then..so not considering selling it...if spares are easy to procure, then should be fun
Old 16th November 2008, 14:06   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul_astro View Post
also, the F8C head [daewoo matiz] [as opposed to the F8B head we have on the indian variate] is almost identical...does anyone have any clues on this?

I'm sorry..too many questions..Hoping to get answers and get help..I'll post up pics and will be documenting my engine rebuild here..Hope to find help along the way

Cheers

Atul Haldankar
You could refer to this site, where I found some info, though I don't know if we're allowed to post links here

SuzukiTuning.com - Tune your Suzuki Alto!

Happy modding!
Old 16th November 2008, 14:32   #72
BANNED

atul_astro, You cannot directly bolt an F8C head onto an f8B motor, the water passageways are different and so are couple of dowel pins.

All engine parts are readily available in the market and the parts are the same as for any other 6valve 800.
Old 16th November 2008, 16:22   #73
BHPian

That was the first Car i had driven. It was a White on in Port Blair abandoned by a senior Govt official. He dint bother to take it when he went back on a transfer. One of his colleague sold it for 15K to some driving school and was doing good for almost 2.5 years. Believe it was functional even after ..could not follow up after that since i got transferred from there. I being a close friend of the person who sold it got a chance to learn driving on it with the help of his driver. The refinement it had is far ahead than the new one we get. And i had seen may 800's braking in that terrain but this one was absolutely fine.
Old 16th November 2008, 19:51   #74

Thanks Sudipt123. The link is useful indeed. I have a pdf version of the same rebuild I believe.

Thanks for the lead Sankar. Great to know that parts are readily availible. Any Specific Brands on Pistons and Rings I should be Looking for?
I also plan on a lil bit of amateur head porting and bigger valves. I already am working on a cold air intake system. Will be using a UNI pod filter.

Any way i can do away with the points condenser system? An ignition upgrade [maybe a stock replacement] would be good for the car, as much as a lighter flywheel would help..Any leads on that would be very much appreciated.

Does anyone know the carb model number and the fuel pump part number?

Also, a few variates of the F8C engines came with turbo kits as well..Did any of these make their way in India? Just curious

Again..Thanks for the answers for my queries. Owe you guys

Cheers

Atul
Old 20th November 2008, 18:43   #75
BHPian

Guys! Picked up a Maruti SS80 DX few months back but brought it to Chennai only last week. So Iam on the restoration process straight away and would need help from all the SS80 enthusiasts and owners over there.

Will post my queries as when required.

Most Viewed