Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:52   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, yesterday and today were finally fruitful days for me- got more or less all the SS80 parts I was looking for!
There was one in red that was scrapped yesterday. 'took whatever good parts I could get off it, including most of the glass, seats (still in the original black+white checks combo and not too good but MUCH better than the ones in my car, which look like rats had a night-out in it!), and both front mudguards as well! In the process, they ended up coming with the side-indicators as well, and one of them (can't figure out yet if left or right) appears to be an original TOKAIDENSO Japan-made one!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2221.jpg
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2225.jpg

I've no doubts about this being an original TD- the still original orange shade versus the faded shade of the other (newer!) local-make indicator speaks volumes about the quality of the SS80 parts!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2228.jpg

Unfortunately, on taking the strut of the rear hatch glass that I bought, to the garage guy, he checked it and said that it's gone, showing me that it's very easy to press down/compress, which shouldn't be the case as it then won't hold up the rear glass too long! So finally managed to get a new one from a local dealer in Secunderabad, who even have a SS80 as a kind of "ad" car displayed outside their shop! although looks roadworthy.

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd January 2009 at 22:54.
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:03   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my first ever car bought in 1996-1997 was this old shape maruti 800 dx 1984 model (red) - unfortunately it had an accident and was sold in 1998-1999.
my good pal from chennai still has his old M800Dx though - also a 1984 model (red)
while he now lives in Canada he still keeps his old M800 Dx beautifully preserved and in perfect condition at his home in Chennai. he bought this also in 1996-1997 and it is still in excellent condition.
it is a lovely old car and despite being tall, I found it extremely comfortable and convenient.
cheers
Old 27th January 2009, 10:28   #93
BHPian

Hi!

Just yesterday I chanced upon an SS80 DX. Was in a pretty sad state. However, the tail lights were still nice and red. Closer inspection revealed they carried the brand name 'Alpha Toyo'. So are these originals? Ajay?
Old 31st January 2009, 18:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Hi!

Just yesterday I chanced upon an SS80 DX. Was in a pretty sad state. However, the tail lights were still nice and red. Closer inspection revealed they carried the brand name 'Alpha Toyo'. So are these originals? Ajay?
no bhaisaab,the original lenses all except headlamps were TOKAI DENSO.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
no bhaisaab,the original lenses all except headlamps were TOKAI DENSO.
Agreed. The real taillamps were of TOKAIDENSO, so were the side indicators and parking lights with the front headlights of STANLEY (sealed beam).

Alpha Toyo was the only decent local manufacturer of tail lights of SS80s. I still have them on my SS80 since last 10 years and they havent faded a bit, though now I am having problems finding replacements to it in Delhi since one of the rear lights are broken now.
Old 11th February 2009, 20:50   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

To do justice to this thread, here is a teaser pic. of my SS80, just after I'd first got it home! It'd had the bumpers and grille taken off and the interior headlining missing when I'd bought it, as it'd been left unfinished after being painted.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2345.jpg

'got the headlining and electricals all done, plus fixed the bonnet lock....then gave it at a local Maruti dealer's for some servicing and minor repairs. The rear brake w.cylinder kits have been replaced. Only thing remaining is to replace the petrol tank, which I was shown, was fully corroded from inside.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2441.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_2443.jpg

Also got more parts from another scrap SS80 today- among them was an original TokaiDenso front parking light assembly and these 3 unusual ivory handles that were fitted in the interior, just above the windows. I never knew SS80s came with these, I've always seen only black (later grey on fading! ) ones, even on my car!

'cleaned them up a bit before taking the pics. although they need more cleaning!

NOTE: I need help in procuring a plate for the numberplate to be painted on at the rear!
I wasn't able to get one of the original squarish size in metal from the guy who did my front numberplate, as he said that that size is no longer being allowed(!) by law. He can make only the plates like the front one. Or he could make me one in laminated fibreglass but I just HATE those ones, I want metal ones only.
So could anyone with an SS80 tell me the measurements of the original rear numberplate on these cars?? I can then have my local tinman make one of the same size and just have the number painted on it.

Last edited by Stanher : 11th February 2009 at 20:56.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:08   #97
Senior - BHPian

Finally!! the pix appear here! Nice to see u've still got the original seat covers! And i must say, A Great Regn number too!! Once u get the full orange parking lights and badges on the grille, it look great!

Does your car have the chrome strip on the rear panel??

Reg the size of the rear numberplate, I'll send it to u as soon as i get home.

the rear door handles are a great find! Interestingly, the SS80's abroad came with beige interiors, and this could've come off one of them. Somebody once told me that few cars were sold here with beige interiors, but i'm quite sure they were not!

Here are 2 pix of the foreign cars, Note the Omni speedo console! I prefer the Indian versions speedo, whereas the beige dash looks rich!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-big_8362559_1132415_5unx816.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00432rr1.jpg

Last edited by JayD : 11th February 2009 at 23:14.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:45   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Finally!! the pix appear here! Nice to see u've still got the original seat covers! And i must say, A Great Regn number too!!
Yup, trust me, the only reason I feel like still hanging ont othe car despite having so much work to do on it ever since I bought it (my mom has convinced herself that I'll never get to take her around in a car on a regular basis whenever she's home!)
Incidentally, if you notice, nearly all SS80s came with "fancy" nos. My dad's brother in Vizag had one in the same colour with the no. 6969.

Quote:
Once u get the full orange parking lights and badges on the grille, it look great!
Uh, pardon my ignorance but SS80s didn't have the white lens in their parking light covers like these??!

The grille badges are very much there.......but barely legible! I do have an "800" grille badge, but I plan to fit a new grille itself- I was told it is available for 1000+ bucks.

Quote:
Does your car have the chrome strip on the rear panel??

Reg the size of the rear numberplate, I'll send it to u as soon as i get home.
Thanks! Nope it doesn't have any of the chrome strips, not even the roof ones! :(

Quote:
the rear door handles are a great find! Interestingly, the SS80's abroad came with beige interiors, and this could've come off one of them. Somebody once told me that few cars were sold here with beige interiors, but i'm quite sure they were not!
Well I guess they were right, because this car that they came from was not an import for sure! It was, I guess the last of the SS80s as it was painted in a greyish blue colour (I call it railway blue...and I don't like that shade at all!) that the post '86 800s and Omnis came out in (remember?)

Quote:
Here are 2 pix of the foreign cars, Note the Omni speedo console! I prefer the Indian versions speedo, whereas the beige dash looks rich!
I remember seeing these pics. somewhere before....and I must say I like the shade of this dash better! But even I like the Indian SS80 meters and even steering wheel better!

Last edited by Stanher : 11th February 2009 at 23:46.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Stanher;1167875] if you notice, nearly all SS80s came with "fancy" nos. [quote]
Yep! that's because, it was The 'premium car' of that era!!

Quote:
Uh, pardon my ignorance but SS80s didn't have the white lens in their parking light covers like these??!
Nopes! thay came with a full orange tokaidenso unit. Here's a pic.
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-06122008023.jpg

Quote:
Well I guess they were right, because this car that they came from was not an import for sure! It was, I guess the last of the SS80s as it was painted in a greyish blue colour (I call it railway blue...and I don't like that shade at all!) that the post '86 800s and Omnis came out in (remember?)
Are you referring to the Light blue like my car? coz as far as i know, SS80's came only in four colours, White, blue, red and brown!
Old 12th February 2009, 19:03   #100
BHPian

[quote=JayD;1167893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Are you referring to the Light blue like my car? coz as far as i know, SS80's came only in four colours, White, blue, red and brown!
But I think they were also available in dark green and two shades of blue like the one on your car and a bright blue, may be the one Shyam was refering to.
Old 12th February 2009, 19:16   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Nopes! thay came with a full orange tokaidenso unit. Here's a pic.
Wow, lucky you to end up with such an original car! Now here's one more item on my list to search for!

Quote:
No of course not! I love that light blue ('came on the heralds as well! )

Yes they did come in that shade of blue only, but for the last ones, which got the ugly greyish blue shade (it was very common on post '86 800s and vans)....'wish I had a pic. to show!

And some of them came in a bottle green colour as well (common on early gypsy)
Old 14th February 2009, 09:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

I have a 1984 model which has done around 1.54L kms as on date, the engine still runs like new and has never been worked upon ! Bought her second hand in 2000 when she had clocked 99K with her previous owner who had used it single hand. Got her painted black and had an AC fixed. Will share a few pics later......
Old 14th February 2009, 19:23   #103
Senior - BHPian

ss80 colour scheme

ss80 came in 5colurs-olympus white, red,chocolatebrown,light(sky)blue,and few 86 models in bottle green.
It did not appear in ELECTRIC BLUE colour which was the first blue shade for SB308 models in lieu of skyblue shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, lucky you to end up with such an original car! Now here's one more item on my list to search for!

No of course not! I love that light blue ('came on the heralds as well! )

Yes they did come in that shade of blue only, but for the last ones, which got the ugly greyish blue shade (it was very common on post '86 800s and vans)....'wish I had a pic. to show!

And some of them came in a bottle green colour as well (common on early gypsy)
Old 15th February 2009, 01:13   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
ss80 came in 5colurs-olympus white, red,chocolatebrown,light(sky)blue,and few 86 models in bottle green.
It did not appear in ELECTRIC BLUE colour which was the first blue shade for SB308 models in lieu of skyblue shade.
I don't think that shade of blue could be called "electric" blue at all (from the name, it is supposed to be a bright, dazzling blue)........maybe you are referring to the slightly darker shade of blue, such as this one:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...uti-800-a.html

The "railway blue" I referred to is quite easy to remember- even padminis came in this shade around early 90s!
Old 15th February 2009, 20:48   #105
BHPian

i am looking for maruti ss 80 engine mounts japnese.

Most Viewed