Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:19   #121
BHPian

HI..Even I own a 1985 Maruti 800 SS80 DLX

Hi,

I bought my first car i.e. 1985 Maruti Suzuki SS80 DLX last January!

This was the first car I was crazy abt since the age I realised what cars are. :-)

I bought for multiple reasons, like, I really used to like this car & had sentiments attached to it; its very affordable; I wanted to restore this like a new one!!

I have been using this car very often. Its a smooth ride. I have taken to places in & around Bangalore & has been very nice to ride one of these almost extinct vehicles.

Had few expenses after I bought this one. However currently like very reliable. Its peppy, its fast, its stable, its small, its cute....This list just goes on.....

Here are few pics of the car. They are a little old.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-3.jpg  

Old 28th March 2009, 07:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

devrajman,
are you sure it is a DX version?
please check it out
Old 28th March 2009, 09:03   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
see these photos it is from some french city ss80 2 door
Nice Discovery ! Will try to post pics of my SS80 shortly. Originally chocolate brown, got her painted jet black in 2001, has run around 1.5L kms to date without any work done to the engine or gearbox yet !
Old 28th March 2009, 17:56   #124
BHPian

5K Kms service & Top Speed & Fuel Efficiency Check!

Hi Ajay99,

It is DLX model. only DLX model had company fitted AC, and this one has one(although it doesnt work now)!

Hi kannan666,
Good to know you had restored one! Im planning to due once im done arranging Vitamin M.

Also I did a 5000kms service form a new guy, he is situated in 16th Cross, Malleshwaram. He did a real nice job. I was having a pathetic time in bangalore reaching for a nice service center who understands the emotions of 1985 SS80!!

However this guy does. He has also restore a couple of these cars he said. I will be going over to his place to have a look at one the restored one. Will post it here once I see it.

Apart from all that. After the service I took the baby to Devarayanadurga that is 75kms from Bangalore on the way to Tumkur. I managed to touch 120Kms/Hr for a 5-7mins run with 4 people & 28psi type pressure with stock tyre size. Then maintained 70-80kms/hr thoughtout. Its an awesome place with steep climb in reserve forext to reach this place. :-)

I did a full tank before & after the 150kms (75+75) run. I used 8.5Lts giving me an fuel efficiency of 17.5Kms/Ltr!!!! Thats great as before in city it used to give me not more than 9kms/ltr.

Im sure to stick to this guy. Also slowly im will get all mechanical stuffs fixed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc08141.jpg  

Old 29th March 2009, 13:51   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Hi Ajay99,

It is DLX model. only DLX model had company fitted AC, and this one has one(although it doesnt work now)!

Hi kannan666,
Good to know you had restored one! Im planning to due once im done arranging Vitamin M.

Also I did a 5000kms service form a new guy, he is situated in 16th Cross, Malleshwaram. He did a real nice job. I was having a pathetic time in bangalore reaching for a nice service center who understands the emotions of 1985 SS80!!

However this guy does. He has also restore a couple of these cars he said. I will be going over to his place to have a look at one the restored one. Will post it here once I see it.

Apart from all that. After the service I took the baby to Devarayanadurga that is 75kms from Bangalore on the way to Tumkur. I managed to touch 120Kms/Hr for a 5-7mins run with 4 people & 28psi type pressure with stock tyre size. Then maintained 70-80kms/hr thoughtout. Its an awesome place with steep climb in reserve forext to reach this place. :-)

I did a full tank before & after the 150kms (75+75) run. I used 8.5Lts giving me an fuel efficiency of 17.5Kms/Ltr!!!! Thats great as before in city it used to give me not more than 9kms/ltr.

Im sure to stick to this guy. Also slowly im will get all mechanical stuffs fixed!!
Small world ! My car is currently being looked after by the same service centre, owners name is Krishnakumar and he is quite a knowledgeable person and best of all, he loves cars ! But I guess you mean 19th cross, not 16th ?? My car has done a number of long distance trips and has covered most of South India in the years I've had her, never had a problem and never a breakdown !

Last edited by kannan666 : 29th March 2009 at 13:56.
Old 29th March 2009, 14:06   #126
BHPian

hmm..Its is 16th Cross. Service Center name is Srinivasa Auto Garage, its just before Chowdiya Memorial Hall.

Can you give me the details of 19th Cross service station. Also till i know Malleshwaram has only 18 Cross. :-S
Old 29th March 2009, 16:27   #127
Senior - BHPian

devrajman,
sorry to interfere again,first of all it was called DX(monogram) or deluxe version.
also all maruti ss80's fiitted with factory a/c was not deluxe models.
there was a version in 1985 and 1986 with a/c and tinted glass only.
go to the first page of this thread wherein,i have listed the special features of deluxe or in brief here it is
Tinted glass(suzuki temperlite) ,NIPPON DENSO A/C,
Maruti Clarion radio with Clarion HIFI speakers and external antenna on right A pillar,
Digital clock(green digits) on the dashboard(centrally located), BEIGE colour STANLEY leather seat covers.
velvety fur cream coloured Floor carpet+ rubber mats with suzuki logo.

a 6 page a/c instruction manual

Old 29th March 2009, 23:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmm..Its is 16th Cross. Service Center name is Srinivasa Auto Garage, its just before Chowdiya Memorial Hall.

Can you give me the details of 19th Cross service station. Also till i know Malleshwaram has only 18 Cross. :-S
Oops, small disconnect here ! Yes, have heard about Srinivasa, he has been there for quite some time at that location I believe and some of my friends get their vehicles serviced with them. However, I was refering to Service Point, a MASS located at 19th cross or what is popularly called as Kashi Mutt road, does this name ring a bell ?
Old 29th March 2009, 23:31   #129
BHPian

if we continue towards 18th cross malleshwaram on 6th main we get 19th cross where we have to take a left turn and the 3rd or 4th building is the service station. it is called kashi mutt road.
Old 30th March 2009, 08:59   #130
BHPian

Hi ajay99,

Thanks for the details. Checked, Yes It has all those Deluxe fittings however Clarion Speaker & Seat covers arent there, I should probably start mentioning DX instead of DLX. :-)

Hi kannan666 & arbind85,

Ok. I will check it out.

Also,
Both you guys give it to this place for service?
Has any one of you done a restoration job from this service station (Tinkering, painting & all other car job)?
Is Yes, Please post few pics & feedback.

Also you guys seem to know Srinivasa Auto Garage, so how is that guy as per your friends opinion, as I just started servicing my car here. I have had bad expierences wrt service stations. Please let me know if I need to switch of service station again!
Old 30th March 2009, 09:31   #131
BHPian

Excuse my ignorance, but am I to understand that the original launch name of the Maruti 800 was the SS80?
Old 30th March 2009, 10:05   #132
BHPian

AFAIK srinivasa auto garage does a good job. one of my friend gives all his cars for body shop works there and he says he does a good job. other technical works not sure. the 19th cross garage was once very famous but now i dont see many cars there. there is one garage new bel road called nexus. they are the people from lotus which is closed noow which was on seshadripuram main road. i give my zen for body shop works there. they do a great job.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:12   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but am I to understand that the original launch name of the Maruti 800 was the SS80?
No the launch name was Maruti 800 only but SS80 is the model code no. Also the next M800 launched in mid 1986 was called SB308. Wonder what the present model is called.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:01   #134
BHPian

HI arbind85,

nexus...this was near IBP Petrol Pump when it was in Sheshadripuram Main Road, rt?

is nexus MASS?
Old 30th March 2009, 12:23   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both you guys give it to this place for service?
Has any one of you done a restoration job from this service station (Tinkering, painting & all other car job)?
Is Yes, Please post few pics & feedback.

Also you guys seem to know Srinivasa Auto Garage, so how is that guy as per your friends opinion, as I just started servicing my car here. I have had bad expierences wrt service stations. Please let me know if I need to switch of service station again!
The full restoration job that I did was from Gomati Motor Works in 2001, a workshop in Koramangala whose owner I knew personally. However, he closed down his workshop to concentrate on rallying. Since the past five years, my 800 has been taken care of by Krishnakumar and he has done a good job. Will post a few pics of my car shortly. I did get a small painting job (left front door which had rusted at the bottom) done by him too.

About Srinivasa, have heard that he too is good although I have not personally given any of my vehicles there for service.

Most Viewed