Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 16:25   #181
BANNED

SEIKO is a generic name that can be put on any product to make it 50% more reliable. Think of it as the equivalent of the K&N sticker.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:29   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yep mine was a std model with a DX badge.
Uh, if yours was a Standard model how come it had a DX badge?? Didn't DX stand for Deluxe? Std. models had only Maruti 800 badges on them.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:03   #183
Senior - BHPian

shyam,he means there was just the DX badge put on the car as an aftermarket accessory!!!
Old 15th April 2009, 20:33   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
may be the quartz crystal etc and the pcb was seiko , so that doesnt make the whole unit a seiko clock.
If all the critical components is Seiko then what else is there in a LCD clock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
SEIKO is a generic name that can be put on any product to make it 50% more reliable. Think of it as the equivalent of the K&N sticker.
Yeah when it's visible.. but if it's hidden?
Old 15th April 2009, 22:13   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very true!, i dont think seiko has ever made clocks for cars. what sankar had must have been an after market one . atleast those guys who made that one decided to put a japanese name on it , it didnt have "rado" or "omega" or something else.
If i remember correctly, the clock on the next model, ie the Sb 308IN was a seiko analog unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Can someone (JayD especially) post pics of the original leather seats both front and back? I need them to make a replica for my car using art leather.
Unfortunately, i do not have a very clear pic of it with me now. Have a pic which may not help you much. But over the leather seats, i've put a art leather cover now, in the original pattern, which could be of use. Will put up pix of both soon.

Last edited by JayD : 15th April 2009 at 22:16.
Old 16th April 2009, 05:11   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Then I guess it would be a sleeper clock. Just kidding mate :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Unfortunately, i do not have a very clear pic of it with me now. Have a pic which may not help you much. But over the leather seats, i've put a art leather cover now, in the original pattern, which could be of use. Will put up pix of both soon.
I would like to see pictures of what the original seats looked like and also your art leather in original pattern. I may be getting new seat covers too for my ss80 as I don't like the ones in it currently (not sure whats underneath, hoping it would be leather that I can repair/get redone at Stanley, Bangalore). I have seen some ss80s with black and white 'basketweave' seat covers. Is this standard for the non-DX model or is that the leather seats you guys are talking about?
Old 16th April 2009, 07:17   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
I have seen some ss80s with black and white 'basketweave' seat covers. Is this standard for the non-DX model or is that the leather seats you guys are talking about?
Yes the pattern you had mentioned is standard on Non Dx and Semi Dx cars. The leather seats if I remember right were in rich burgundy colour.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:37   #188
BHPian

in doubt.... SS80 experts please contribute

Posting it here too as I think more people are subscribed to this tread.

im in big doubt...hope all the experts of SS80 help me out here.

Im planning to restore my 1985 SS80 DLX. However Im in doubt of the expense I would need to shell out.

I bought it for 35K 15 months back. Its a DLX. I totally spend around 10K till today on maintenance! so thats a total of 45K till now.

I take it to Srinivasa Auto Garage on 16th Cross, Malleshwaram. I have done 2 5000 kms service & other things.

Its a DLX model, with only 86K Kms done. Its was sparingly used by last 2 owners as tires are 8 years old & still have good enough thread!!

Restoration work including all body tinkering & full body paint (inside out):
I consulted few garges in Bangalore as per user feedback in TeamBHP:
Garages I consulted:
1) Sai Colorium - 23K (some 2K paint)
2) Fast Cars on Bannergatta road - 23K (DuPont Paint)
3) Ali garage opp suraksha on Hosur road - 15K (will do only req paint job) some 2K paint)
4) Suraksha on Hosur Road - 22K (some 2K paint)

These are the work i see will come up some day in near future ( 1 year):
I feel all this will required as no maintenance was done by last 2 owners as they hardly used it.

1) Suspension Work - one of my rear tyre is wearing uneven
2) Tyres are 8 years old!! Still have treads but are hard now. Risky to use outside city. Also 1 rim is off. Will need to replace all 5 tyres with rims as rust if also a factor
3) Clutch work may come as per my mechanic
4) Engine if throwing out oil, so will need engine work. Currently i have spark plug sleeves & its distance set so that oil doesnt touch the spark pulg.
5)Battery is weak, 1 cell is dead, so will need to be replaced
6)Air Conditioner - once an inspection said, not much work involved except service & gas refill

All the above expense will be around:
1) 5-7K
2) 10K
3)Dont Know may be max 3-4K
4)Dont Know may be max 10-12K?
5)3-4K
6)may be max 3K

Thats a total of: 33-35K approx.
Experts please correct me if estimate needs correction.

So overall a total of:
23K + 33K + 10K (misc) = 66K!!!

Now I bought this for 35K plus 10K plus 66K thats 1,10,000Rs!!

Experts please go over expenses & let me know if the approx is correct.

Also I was thinking we I can sell this & add the same of amount of money on buying a good zen, would it be a better deal?

But I like this car a lot & have emotions tied up with it...

Im totally confused. Im ok to spend but its should be on & on......Also life expectancy is a question.

I hope people take their time off & reply in detail.

Thanks.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:28   #189
Senior - BHPian

leather seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Yes the pattern you had mentioned is standard on Non Dx and Semi Dx cars. The leather seats if I remember right were in rich burgundy colour.
the leather covers were put above the black/white(check squarepattern) standard seats with a layer of foam padding.
the colour was a rich beige (similar to the OE seats on Verna)
Old 16th April 2009, 09:50   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Posting it here too as I think more people are subscribed to this tread.

im in big doubt...hope all the experts of SS80 help me out here.

Im planning to restore my 1985 SS80 DLX. However Im in doubt of the expense I would need to shell out.

I bought it for 35K 15 months back. Its a DLX. I totally spend around 10K till today on maintenance! so thats a total of 45K till now.

I take it to Srinivasa Auto Garage on 16th Cross, Malleshwaram. I have done 2 5000 kms service & other things.

Its a DLX model, with only 86K Kms done. Its was sparingly used by last 2 owners as tires are 8 years old & still have good enough thread!!

Restoration work including all body tinkering & full body paint (inside out):
I consulted few garges in Bangalore as per user feedback in TeamBHP:
Garages I consulted:
1) Sai Colorium - 23K (some 2K paint)
2) Fast Cars on Bannergatta road - 23K (DuPont Paint)
3) Ali garage opp suraksha on Hosur road - 15K (will do only req paint job) some 2K paint)
4) Suraksha on Hosur Road - 22K (some 2K paint)

These are the work i see will come up some day in near future ( 1 year):
I feel all this will required as no maintenance was done by last 2 owners as they hardly used it.

1) Suspension Work - one of my rear tyre is wearing uneven
2) Tyres are 8 years old!! Still have treads but are hard now. Risky to use outside city. Also 1 rim is off. Will need to replace all 5 tyres with rims as rust if also a factor
3) Clutch work may come as per my mechanic
4) Engine if throwing out oil, so will need engine work. Currently i have spark plug sleeves & its distance set so that oil doesnt touch the spark pulg.
5)Battery is weak, 1 cell is dead, so will need to be replaced
6)Air Conditioner - once an inspection said, not much work involved except service & gas refill

All the above expense will be around:
1) 5-7K
2) 10K
3)Dont Know may be max 3-4K
4)Dont Know may be max 10-12K?
5)3-4K
6)may be max 3K

Thats a total of: 33-35K approx.
Experts please correct me if estimate needs correction.

So overall a total of:

Also I was thinking we I can sell this & add the same of amount of money on buying a good zen, would it be a better deal?

Im totally confused. Im ok to spend but its should be on & on......Also life expectancy is a question.

Thanks.

I think if so much work was pending on the car, you have overpaid for it.
single owner,daily runner car with full originality and no major works involved you could have paid Rs.45000/-.
but seeing the estimates quoted(which is reasonable) I think you have to seriously think twice before spending money on it,because the estimate is more likely to be exceeded by 10-15% by the actuals.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:30   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Experts please correct me if estimate needs correction
Am not an expert, but the estimate looks fair to me.

Quote:
So overall a total of:

Now, that's not how I would look at it. You bought the car a while ago. It is money already spent, so don't include/add that to your total. Not everything in your list is a must do. You can do them in instalments which will further reduce your burden. If you would like to do them in one shot, Great!! If done properly, you will have a car that will run fine for the next 5 years with just routine maintenance.

Quote:

We can only try helping you with the decision. I can tell you what I would have done. But it is you really needs to decide what you want - A Zen or an ss80.

Let me try and Yes, I am biased in not selling the ss80. You said you have emotions tied up with it, then I suggest you do up your ss80 itself. The satisfaction and joy that you will get out of this is unparalleled. I am also very emotionally attached to my automobiles and often regret having sold some of them (to this day).

If you look at it practically, you can go ahead and buy a Zen. A Zen has many obvious benefits. But very rarely would a second hand car come without problems, so you will have expenses over and above the cost of the Zen.

Let us take my own example. I could have bought a Type-2 Maruti 800 in good condition for 30k today. Why was I particular about a ss80 only? Simple, because that is what I wanted. Why? Dunno, Some things can't be explained. Many people find it strange but some of us here definitely can relate. Some decisions are made with the heart and not the brain :-). Remember, this is a landmark car in Indian Automotive History. How many people do you know who own a ss80 today? An ss80 in good shape always turns heads and will make you feel good.

I'll will also suggest you stretch your budget a little more and buy a Zen as a second car. Do up the ss80 in your own time. But if you make this decision, ensure it does not deteriorate after it becomes your second car. I have seen several cases wherein the second car, initially meant to be a project or a hobby car gets neglected. It is a commitment. If you are not game, you are better off selling it to someone who will take care of it. I am sure there are plenty of people now looking for an ss80. That too, yours is DX.

All the best with your decision mate. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 16th April 2009 at 13:32.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:41   #192
BANNED

Quote:
[i]

Thanks.
Devaraj,

Santhosh has given you a great piece of advice.

Good to know that you have emotions attached with this car of yours.

The painting cost seems to be a bit on the higher side, but you cant say that unless one has seen the car. Does the car need extensive body work?

Pls share the car pics so that i can give you a correct estimate for painting.

You can share my tinker and painter for few days

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 16th April 2009 at 13:43.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:44   #193
BHPian

Quote:
If all the critical components is Seiko then what else is there in a LCD clock?

first of all , its not a "LCD" clock, its an "LED" clock.

obviously there is more to it than just the quartz crystal and pcb such as housing , display unit, controls etc.

and if seiko really made it , would they be shy to put their name ,details and specs on the clock?
Old 17th April 2009, 14:43   #194
BANNED

Quote:
first of all , its not a "LCD" clock, its an "LED" clock.

obviously there is more to it than just the quartz crystal and pcb such as housing , display unit, controls etc.

and if seiko really made it , would they be shy to put their name ,details and specs on the clock?
I know it's an LED clock eventhough i termed it LCD which was case of careless typing. It has Green LEDs.

I don't think Seiko or any reputed clock manufacturer supplies just printed circuit boards with their names on it. They of course do supply the whole clock engine minus the housing, which are put into custom cases. And not all manufacturers put their name on the fascia especially if they are supplying for OEM (an example of this would be integrated car stereos). Seiko won't supply PCBs since they are not PCB manufacturers they are clock and watch manufacturers.

Where as a spurious clock would have the name Seiko or Rado or Omega printed boldly on the fascia in Golden letters to trick customers. And the PCB of such clocks may read "Saiko" or "Raado".
Old 17th April 2009, 15:08   #195
Senior - BHPian

it is a an LED clock with green digits (nice looking at night) and those were the good old days of diodes and transistors ,not IC's and crystal devices

Most Viewed