Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 19:07   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I know it's an LED clock eventhough i termed it LCD which was case of careless typing. It has Green LEDs.

I don't think Seiko or any reputed clock manufacturer supplies just printed circuit boards with their names on it. They of course do supply the whole clock engine minus the housing, which are put into custom cases. And not all manufacturers put their name on the fascia especially if they are supplying for OEM (an example of this would be integrated car stereos). Seiko won't supply PCBs since they are not PCB manufacturers they are clock and watch manufacturers.

Where as a spurious clock would have the name Seiko or Rado or Omega printed boldly on the fascia in Golden letters to trick customers. And the PCB of such clocks may read "Saiko" or "Raado".
boss , you said its a seiko pcb , i dint .

as you have cited , in the case of O.E music systems , if it a reputed brand/make and if the part is original , the name of the the manufacturer WILL BE THERE along with the certain spec and country of manufacture. and as a rule it should be there , and it is no different for clocks.

Note from Mods : Please take a look at point #2 in this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette). Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th April 2009 at 12:10. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:28   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
boss , you said its a seiko pcb , i dint .

as you have cited , in the case of O.E music systems , if it a reputed brand/make and if the part is original , the name of the the manufacturer WILL BE THERE along with the certain spec and country of manufacture. and as a rule it should be there , and it is no different for clocks.
Yeah it's a Seiko PCB. And so is the clock. You said only the PCB might be supplied by Seiko, to which i replied Seiko may supply clocks to OEM with word Seiko printed on their PCB since they are Seiko clocks; and since they are not PCB manufacturers, but clock manufacturers, they may not sell PCBs with Seiko printed on it to third party clock manufacuters.

And coming to integrated stereos i haven't seen the stereo manufacturers name printed on the fascia of integrated stereos I found in Hyundai i10, Astar, Swift and Accord.

So here we have three integrated stereos with no name on the fascia and a very old boring LED clock with no name on the fascia.
Old 18th April 2009, 10:28   #198
BHPian

I think guys its high time we stop this never ending discussion on a poor little clock. Every time I open this thread to read a new post I go . BTW a reminder there are thousands of more parts crying for attention in a SS80.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:58   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it's a Seiko PCB. And so is the clock. You said only the PCB might be supplied by Seiko, to which i replied Seiko may supply clocks to OEM with word Seiko printed on their PCB since they are Seiko clocks; and since they are not PCB manufacturers, but clock manufacturers, they may not sell PCBs with Seiko printed on it to third party clock manufacuters.

And coming to integrated stereos i haven't seen the stereo manufacturers name printed on the fascia of integrated stereos I found in Hyundai i10, Astar, Swift and Accord.

So here we have three integrated stereos with no name on the fascia and a very old boring LED clock with no name on the fascia.
but my point is maruti did not cliam its a seiko , there is no reliable marking/printing/sticker/nameplate on the clock to vouch that it is a seiko.

ha ha , the name and the specs obviously wont be on the front of the music systems or the "fascia " as you like to put it , it will be at the back , which will be visible when you pull out the system, you dont have to dismantle it and check for some name printed on some pcb.

come on jai3033 its a "SEIKO" clock , such an important part of the ss80. LOL!.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:24   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is old,agreed, that is why we love it, but it is neither BORING nor LED a bad technology. I remember having tried for several months to get a similar LED green clock(OEM style) for zen in 1997 but was not able to get one!! It is a really beautiful clock which is still working after 25 long years and has people still arguing about it now, is not that a big credit for the manufacturer,be it SEIKO or any other Japanese brand.
Also most integrated stereos in the 80's(SUZUKI CLARION,TOYOTA SONY, MERCEDES BLAUPUNKT/ BECKER) had the name/logo on the fascia.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:56   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but my point is maruti did not cliam its a seiko , there is no reliable marking/printing/sticker/nameplate on the clock to vouch that it is a seiko.

ha ha , the name and the specs obviously wont be on the front of the music systems or the "fascia " as you like to put it , it will be at the back , which will be visible when you pull out the system, you dont have to dismantle it and check for some name printed on some pcb.

come on jai3033 its a "SEIKO" clock , such an important part of the ss80. LOL!.
Why does Maruti have to claim it's a Seiko?

Why is it obvious that the name of the stereo shouldn't be on the "fascia" of the stereo?

Since we were discussing names printed on the "fascia" i thought integrated stereos should have it too, since you said it "should" be there. No.. not at the back, one has to dismantle the central piece of the dash to get it out you know.

I didn't have to disassemble the clock or dash to see the name printed on the PCB. It's very much visible without being dismantled since the rear of the case is translucent.

Quote:
very true!, i dont think seiko has ever made clocks for cars. what sankar had must have been an after market one . atleast those guys who made that one decided to put a japanese name on it , it didnt have "rado" or "omega" or something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
If i remember correctly, the clock on the next model, ie the Sb 308IN was a seiko analog unit.
Well... it seems that Seiko did manufacture clocks. And about the aftermarket part it's already agreed to the fact that the what my car had was an aftermarket clock.

Dude, i don't even care if the clock was an original or a ripoff. I just mentioned it as a part of my ownership experience. You got something else to pick on? Clock is already boring the audience here and me too.

I wish i had that car with me.. just so that i could take a pic and post it exclusively for your very kind perusal and expert report after analysing the evidence Thanks to you Seiko has become the single most important accessory in an SS80 which is worth fighting for

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
It is old,agreed, that is why we love it, but it is neither BORING nor LED a bad technology. I remember having tried for several months to get a similar LED green clock(OEM style) for zen in 1997 but was not able to get one!! It is a really beautiful clock which is still working after 25 long years and has people still arguing about it now, is not that a big credit for the manufacturer,be it SEIKO or any other Japanese brand.
Also most integrated stereos in the 80's(SUZUKI CLARION,TOYOTA SONY, MERCEDES BLAUPUNKT/ BECKER) had the name/logo on the fascia.
Yeah it is not boring, i like it. When this digi clock in my SS80 wasn't working i wanted to replace it with another one so i bought a green LED digi clock from a shop at Karamana. It was while fitting the new one that i noticed the Seiko name on the back of the old non working clock. But the new green led clock was connected turned on but it didn't look too good and the plastic cover over LEDs had a slight ripple effect, it wasn't very nice. This is when i got the idea to try the old clock once again after cleaning and properly wiring it up, so we tried and it worked! And the display looked much much better compared to the new one.

Ajay, you must be referring to the OE stereos the car came with, in that case yes it had the name of the manufacturer printed on it alongwith car maker's name. Even Ford and Hyundai had such stereos. But in most integrated stereos, like the new gen ones stereo maker's name is mostly hidden. There are exceptions to it but.

Btw if you want the Green LED clock it might be available at car accessory shop next to Swaraj.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th April 2009 at 18:14.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:49   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Btw if you want the Green LED clock it might be available at car accessory shop next to Swaraj.
thanks for the info, that shop belonged to PKC group and owner name is Sudheer,I know these guys since 1997.as you rightly experienced, most of his stuff are cheap recycled chinese/taiwanese/USA(ullass s..... association)stuff.
not worth buying.
By the way I sold the zen way back in 2002.(albeit it didnt have a clock those 5years,only the Pioneer stereo I fitted, had a time display!!.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th April 2009 at 12:09. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:59   #203
Senior - BHPian

those fiat maniacs have had bigger fights over obscure pieces of chrome trim in fiat 1100's. I think the 800 deserves at least this
Old 18th April 2009, 19:50   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
those fiat maniacs have had bigger fights over obscure pieces of chrome trim in fiat 1100's. I think the 800 deserves at least this
yes, definitely,
another feature of the SS80,the doors had a inbuilt mechanism whereby the doors when opened will only open about halfway .then one have to again push to open the door completely,a precautionary measure to prevent dents ..
Old 20th April 2009, 12:30   #205
BHPian

Theres a SS80 under restoration, please check this thread out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...984-model.html
Old 20th April 2009, 13:47   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Why does Maruti have to claim it's a Seiko?

Why is it obvious that the name of the stereo shouldn't be on the "fascia" of the stereo?

Since we were discussing names printed on the "fascia" i thought integrated stereos should have it too, since you said it "should" be there. No.. not at the back, one has to dismantle the central piece of the dash to get it out you know.

I didn't have to disassemble the clock or dash to see the name printed on the PCB. It's very much visible without being dismantled since the rear of the case is translucent.

Well... it seems that Seiko did manufacture clocks. And about the aftermarket part it's already agreed to the fact that the what my car had was an aftermarket clock.

Dude, i don't even care if the clock was an original or a ripoff. I just mentioned it as a part of my ownership experience. You got something else to pick on? Clock is already boring the audience here and me too.

I wish i had that car with me.. just so that i could take a pic and post it exclusively for your very kind perusal and expert report after analysing the evidence Thanks to you Seiko has become the single most important accessory in an SS80 which is worth fighting for

Yeah it is not boring, i like it. When this digi clock in my SS80 wasn't working i wanted to replace it with another one so i bought a green LED digi clock from a shop at Karamana. It was while fitting the new one that i noticed the Seiko name on the back of the old non working clock. But the new green led clock was connected turned on but it didn't look too good and the plastic cover over LEDs had a slight ripple effect, it wasn't very nice. This is when i got the idea to try the old clock once again after cleaning and properly wiring it up, so we tried and it worked! And the display looked much much better compared to the new one.

Ajay, you must be referring to the OE stereos the car came with, in that case yes it had the name of the manufacturer printed on it alongwith car maker's name. Even Ford and Hyundai had such stereos. But in most integrated stereos, like the new gen ones stereo maker's name is mostly hidden. There are exceptions to it but.

lets forget about the names/specs being printed on the front or back or wherever.

fine! maybe seiko made clocks for cars, but it still remains that you had an aftermarket clock which was supposedly a "seiko", and based on that you said that the o.e clock was seiko.

p.s:not here to pick on you., if the clock is boring lets discuss some other part, what were the o.e wiper blades?

Last edited by siddartha : 20th April 2009 at 13:52.
Old 20th April 2009, 14:59   #207
BHPian

Nice topic...I have issues with my Wipers. They dont clean nice.

As rains are hitting bangalore, I want to replace them, which one should I go for. Original size or any other model's??

Also is there size difference between new 800s & this one?
Old 20th April 2009, 16:27   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

As rains are hitting bangalore, I want to replace them, which one should I go for. Original size or any other model's??

You can try to get the original ones but that might prove to be very difficult. There is a major size difference between the new 800's and the SS80's wiper blades. Best bet is to use the Omni's wiper blades, they are a little smaller than the SS80's but they get the job done to a nicety ! That's what I have been using now for the past 5 years !
Old 20th April 2009, 16:47   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

what i have noticed with the ss80 wipers is that , over the years the wiper arms do not apply the right amount of pressure on the wiper blades to get a clean wipe. am i right? so the wiper blades just slide on the windscreen in a flimsy way and they dont wipe well enough.

Last edited by siddartha : 20th April 2009 at 16:59.
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:57   #210
BHPian

Atlast pictures of my SS80 car. Iam sorry for the quality since they were taken from my mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00037a.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00038a.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00041a.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00042a.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00044a.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00045a.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks