Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 03:03   #241
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I had one of these, but it never had any seat belts. Just some plastic to cover the holes.

Mine had done like 3L Kms so had to go . . .
Old 7th May 2009, 08:49   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Anyways, (belated) congrats on your SS80 as well!
Thanks Shyam :-)

Quote:
You mentioned 4 of them are used- are these available easily in used in b'lore? Did you buy them at the gujiri? Can they also be bought individually as new, since you mentioned one rim on your car is new.

I'm thinking to go for used rims but new tyres.

To be honest, I'm not too particular whether they are 12" or 13"...but alloy they need to be.
Actually, I was plain lucky to get those rims. I went to a friend's tyre-shop for a puncture repair and he offered me a deal that I just grabbed. The deal was I had to pay 3.5k + give away the ugly alloys that came with the car in exchange for a set of 5 aura wheels. One of these wheels had never been used.

If not for this deal, I was thinking of going in for stock rims with the OE chrome cap in the center. I will still look for a good set as the old pattern rims may become difficult to source later.

Quote:
BTW, guys I need pics. of the original SS80 seatbelts, so I could pick up a set in case i found one. Anyone who could post pics. of those?
Someone mentioned that the Maruti Omni's seatbelts may fit the ss80 since they don't have the spool. Has anyone tried this?

Also, can someone please post detailed pics of the interiors of the SS80(preferably both DX and standard). I need pics of the correct doorpads, seats, seat belts, carpets, dashboard & C-pillar pads....Thanks.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 7th May 2009 at 08:50.
Old 7th May 2009, 14:25   #243
Senior - BHPian

I have info that a guy has a good condition OE MARUTI CLARION AM/FM RADIO cum stereo for maruti ss80 DX for sale in kerala. if any one interested pm me with offer so that I can inform him
Old 7th May 2009, 15:22   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I have info that a guy has a good condition OE MARUTI CLARION AM/FM RADIO cum stereo for maruti ss80 DX for sale in kerala. if any one interested pm me with offer so that I can inform him
I am interested in the Clarion Unit. You have a PM.

BTW, is this with speakers?

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 7th May 2009 at 15:23.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:23   #245

Quote:

Hi ajay i've sent u a pm. I'm interested too.
Old 8th May 2009, 14:14   #246
Senior - BHPian

NOS Sealed beam

I found this in a shop today.the brand is ''KOTTO".sealed beam for SS80.
in bubble packing .i am not sure whether it came as OE.both hibeam and low beam are working !!.
if any one interested pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-sealedbeam.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-image686.jpg  

Last edited by ajay99 : 8th May 2009 at 14:19. Reason: add photo
Old 8th May 2009, 14:26   #247
BHPian

Quote:
I found this in a shop today.the brand is ''KOTTO".sealed beam for SS80.
in bubble packing .i am not sure whether it came as OE.both hibeam and low beam are working !!.
if any one interested pm.
Ajay, I think it should be KOITO. Even I am not sure if it came as OE, but I have seen them in the same size on several models of Toyota vans abroad.

KOITO like Stanley is a Japanese Auto Electricals company and is an OEM supplier for several Japanese auto manufacturers like Nissan, Toyota, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Unless, it reads "Drive Left" on the glass, these should be good to use in India. This is because most Sealed Beams are focussed to throw light on the passengers side when dipped.
Old 8th May 2009, 14:35   #248
BHPian

Just an observation (could be wrong). I am not sure if these would fit the SS80. I am restoring one right now and as far as I know, the SS80 headlamp frame has three mounting holes - two on the sides and one at the bottom. This one looks different.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:48   #249
Senior - BHPian

yes santhosh,
it is indeed KOITO, sorry for the mistake.
I think it fits the SS80, because it came to the shop from MARUTI ENGINEERS an exclusive maruti service cum spares centre which closed shop in the late 90's.Actually there is a boxed STANLEY sealed beam (round light) which came for the Van/Gypsy in this shop along with lots of MGP parts
Old 11th May 2009, 12:31   #250
BHPian

I have few straight forward questions:

1) If default Tyre size is 145/70R12

2) Which upgrade is better, 145/80R12 or 155/70R12?
One has more height & other has more width.

3)145/70R12, means side walls will be 70% of 155 i.e. 101.5
155/70R12, means side walls will be 70% of 155 i.e. 108.5
145/80R12, means side walls will be 80% of 145 i.e. 116

Are these differences huge? If I see, upgrade to 155/70R12 also gives me more side walls. However upgrade to 145/80R12 gives me only side walls!

Is 155/70R12 a better deal than 145/80R12?

4) What are specific pros & cons of these upgrades on Steel Rims/Alloy Rims for a 800cc car?

5) What are specific pros & cons on each of Tyre size considering profile upgrade, width upgrade, grip, power, fuel economy, possible changes to suspension, accelerated wear & tear, etc.

It would be huge help if these are answered as it can make a buy very clear. Also tyres are once which take all the beating of the road. Also its 1st step to safety.

Bangalore or rather Indians roads have drastic variety hence tyre should be ALL ROUNDER
- Roads with
- HUGE pot holes
- Dirt Roads
- High Speed highways, easy to touch top speeds
- Indians are big family with big luggage, hence load capacity :-)
- Heavy rains & roads flooded with rain/drain waters

Imported tyres & tyres mainly designed for Non-Indian roads may not be aware of our conditions.

I have few more questions, but will hold it as it will make things complex :-S

Thanks.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:39   #251
BHPian

Spotted this seemingly very original SS80, seemed like it was in the original company paint albeit faded.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-ss80.jpg
Old 11th May 2009, 16:20   #252
BHPian

Hi Devraj,

I have tried to answer some of your questions.
Find them in bold italic below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I have few straight forward questions:

1) If default Tyre size is 145/70R12

2) Which upgrade is better, 145/80R12 or 155/70R12?
One has more height & other has more width.

3)145/70R12, means side walls will be 70% of 155 i.e. 101.5
155/70R12, means side walls will be 70% of 155 i.e. 108.5
145/80R12, means side walls will be 80% of 145 i.e. 116

I would recommend 155/65/12 if you are able to find this size. This tyre will make your wheel look sporty, give you a bigger contact patch and the rolling dia will remain almost the same. When you increase the width, make sure you also decrease the profile so as to arrive at the same rolling dia.

Are these differences huge? If I see, upgrade to 155/70R12 also gives me more side walls. However upgrade to 145/80R12 gives me only side walls!
Yes, these differences although not very huge, will have impact (+ve and -ve) on the performance of your vehicle. When you go in for more side wall on the same size rim, the rolling diameter of the wheel increases. Increase in rolling diameter means lower initial pickup, increased top speed, increased fuel economy, decreased suspension & steering components life due to added load, your wheels may also foul when steering is turned fully.

Is 155/70R12 a better deal than 145/80R12?
Between the two, I would opt for 155/70/R12 as more side wall is of no use in a car. It only helps in Offroad vehicles where you need to protect your rims from the rough terrain.

4) What are specific pros & cons of these upgrades on Steel Rims/Alloy Rims for a 800cc car?
Alloy Rims of same size are lighter yet stronger than Steel Rims. Alloy Rims will not buckle when you hit a pot hole.

5) What are specific pros & cons on each of Tyre size considering profile upgrade, width upgrade, grip, power, fuel economy, possible changes to suspension, accelerated wear & tear, etc.

It would be huge help if these are answered as it can make a buy very clear. Also tyres are once which take all the beating of the road. Also its 1st step to safety.

Bangalore or rather Indians roads have drastic variety hence tyre should be ALL ROUNDER
- Roads with
- HUGE pot holes
- Dirt Roads
- High Speed highways, easy to touch top speeds
- Indians are big family with big luggage, hence load capacity :-)
- Heavy rains & roads flooded with rain/drain waters

If you want to cater to all of the above, stick to stock tyre size. Even then, I think the car itself is wrong for all of the above. Especially the bit about Indians having big family and luggage...lol

Imported tyres & tyres mainly designed for Non-Indian roads may not be aware of our conditions.

I have few more questions, but will hold it as it will make things complex :-S
There is a very informative site which explains upgrades of tyres, alloys etc. Have a read of this: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Thanks.
Old 11th May 2009, 20:46   #253
BHPian

I saw this almost showroom condition SS80 in Bangalore last year when I went to this persons house to check out a Fiat millecento for sale. Amazing car and it looked as if it had just come out of the showroom. It had done only about 58k kms. The driver side door closed with a lovely 'click' noise which was like music to my ears. However this car was not for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00032a.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00033.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00034.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00035.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00036.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 22:14   #254
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
I saw this almost showroom condition SS80 in Bangalore last year when I went to this persons house to check out a Fiat millecento for sale. Amazing car and it looked as if it had just come out of the showroom. It had done only about 58k kms. The driver side door closed with a lovely 'click' noise which was like music to my ears. However this car was not for sale.
This car is exceptional! All the silver things are still silver, specially the design on the C pillar. The seat covers are original! The rims look original and still shiny!

So what did he do? keep it vaccum packed for 20 years?
Old 12th May 2009, 07:32   #255
Senior - BHPian

The SS80 is becoming the rage nowadays!

Its the ideal 'collectors' car. It sold in quite high numbers to still be pottering around. MARUTI is based in India and is not scheduled to wind up any time soon, so the ideal car to keep and maintain.

Actually, should be possible to drive down to a MASS and get it serviced like all other cars!

Its quite easy otherwise too, compact and easily storable, not much prone to vandals, guess now is the time to gift yourself a SS80 and in the bargain a peice of automotive history which will only appreciate from now on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks