Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 09:12   #271
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Pick it up cheap. Under 40k should be a good price range. If you can go lower, even better.
Things are not so rosy Mr Cyrus, an SS80 in original and pristine condition would not come anything lesser than a lac, a good one restored would cost beyond 60K.

In Bangalore, there's a sudden rush for well maintained SS80's which eventually has skyrocketed their prices.
Old 27th May 2009, 21:20   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Talking of costs, can anyone here give me a vague idea as to how much one should expect to pay for a fair condition SS80 ?
Fair meaning not too rusted, with a decent bodyline (read restorable), and an engine that will not require major work.
Do you know if it's a Standard or Deluxe model?
To know the differences, you can go through the intitial posts in this very thread made by ajay99.

The price also depends on this. If 'standard' (no, NOT the same as the Stanher! ) then the price Cyrus mentioned should be ok. Deluxe models command a higher price, although they were said to be better than the former.
Old 27th May 2009, 23:14   #273
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. I have to yet go and see the car, and I'm only assuming he wants to sell . However, knowledge is never wasted, and will come in handy anytime.
A classic afficionado is ever eagle eyed, and hungry !!
Old 27th May 2009, 23:17   #274

Is the Car in Shivaji Park by any chance?? And Is it brown?? If yes, then its not for sale..I already asked!! Also, Shyam, In Bombay, you can still get them pretty cheap!!
Old 27th May 2009, 23:19   #275
Senior - BHPian

No no.. it's white, and in Mulund.
Old 28th May 2009, 09:52   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm going out on a limb here, incurring wrath of a lot of people perhaps. Offer him 20-24k and expect to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 28th May 2009, 10:35   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the leather covers were put above the black/white(check squarepattern) standard seats with a layer of foam padding.
the colour was a rich beige (similar to the OE seats on Verna)
Ajay.

I had some time yesterday and went through this 800 thread of yours. I see you are very passionate abot this car. Its a good thing.

I loved it when it was still available, had a lot of fun in it.Bought and sold them on a monthly basis.

The thing with the leather seats is that they came in two shades. The red cars came with the beige colour seats and the white / brown cars had deep chocolate brown coloured seat.

This was the only car in those days you could actually drift using the handbrake.

Another thing with them was the feature for locking the front doors by engaging the lock position on the inside and then just slamming the door with the outer handle lifted.

This resulted in a lot of people locking their keys inside.Oh what fun it used to be to see them trying with hangers and all sorts of other things to open the car again.

All you had to do was take a metal strip, insert in between the glass beading and the glass on the rear door and gently lift up the locking lever inside which in turn would pop the lock open.

Another trick was to get under the drivers side of the car , push in the rubber grommet just under the hatch cable and push the cable up which would open up the rear hatch.

These cars were mechanocally bullet proof. After driving for two to three years the suspension would be shot along with the engine mounts. Owners wouls get rid of them and we would buy them cheap.

We would then pull out the sun film, get rid of any seat covers, apply a fresh coat of paint, new suspension arms, engine mounts, tyres and the car was as good as new.

Now one also needed to clock the speedo to under twenty / twenty five thousand and the car would sell in no time.

We didn't want to wait aroud for actual buyers so would sell to used car dealers at a little less than the market value and still make 8 to 10 thousand on each car.

Two cars a month and we were happy. Guys would go crazy seeing us in different cars all the time. We then mooved on to imports and classics.

Those were the good days. My car was a 84 Red standaard upgraded to deluxe. With a set of headers it sounded great and went fast. One day middle of the night I ran into a new road divider and the car was history.

AHX 989 and me went all over south india together, Goa, Bangalore etc. Maybe Stanher could tell if this car is still around. A shady mecahnic had re built it after the crash.
Old 28th May 2009, 12:51   #278
Senior - BHPian

[quote=wasif;1323144]Ajay.

I had some time yesterday and went through this 800 thread of yours. I see you are very passionate abot this car. Its a good thing.

I loved it when it was still available, had a lot of fun in it.Bought and sold them on a monthly basis.

The thing with the leather seats is that they came in two shades. The red cars came with the beige colour seats and the white / brown cars had deep chocolate brown coloured seat.
I am subject to correction,but are you sure the white cars had chocolate brown coloured seat because I have seen the dark beige seat covers in red,blue,and white coloured SS80 DX's.

This was the only car in those days you could actually drift using the handbrake.

Another thing with them was the feature for locking the front doors by engaging the lock position on the inside and then just slamming the door with the outer handle lifted.

This resulted in a lot of people locking their keys inside.Oh what fun it used to be to see them trying with hangers and all sorts of other things to open the car again.
this mechanism was also there in the type2 maruti 800 a.k.a SB308IN.
and I think it continued till the early 2000's .
Old 28th May 2009, 18:14   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Also, Shyam, In Bombay, you can still get them pretty cheap!!
Thats quiet right. A friend sold one last month for 17 Grand.

Last edited by egangsta : 28th May 2009 at 18:16.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:42   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
of course you can get cars for as low as Rs.12000/- even in Keralabut will have changed ownership at least 7 or 8 times and may be worth only as a parts car.
genuine single owner,less run,well maintained with full originality is only worth owning/restoring.such cars range between 25000/- to 30000/- for standard and 35000/-to 50000/- for Deluxe.
I understand some ''crazy'' guy offered Rs.75000/- to a single owner driven DX car with full originality including stereo,clock,antennae,chrome strips,sealed beams ,original service manual,a/c manual ,floor carpets,roof trim,etc in Marthandam(tamil nadu) ,the owner was shaken and surprised, that he said he was not selling it anymore(previously car brokers,used car showrooms were offering him only Rs.30000/-
Old 28th May 2009, 21:16   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Great! Do get me one then, preferably a deluxe!
Old 28th May 2009, 22:38   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Great! Do get me one then, preferably a deluxe!
Sure why not. I did pick a deluxe model for my sister 1 1/2 year back for 17 grand. The car which my friend sold for 17 grand belonged to a Professor and wasnt used much and it was a Deluxe model. I will say i came to know about it 7 days after it was sold. Otherwise it I would have bought it.
egangsta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2009, 23:35   #283
Senior - BHPian

Chapter closed guys.. The owner of the white SS80 just said "NO".
So here I am, back on the road - hungry, eagle eyed, though broke .
BTW Edward, I already owe you a huge one for helping me get my Super Select. Looks like I'm going to have to come running to you each time I need a classic !!
Old 29th May 2009, 17:23   #284

Super Select come soon with your wishlist and a champagne bottle
Old 29th May 2009, 18:24   #285
BHPian

I think this one is for SuperSelect especially. A SS80 DX for sale in Mumbai , the seller claims it is in mint condition. Anyway check this link. Maruti (Old Shape) Japanese Model - 1986

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks