Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:27   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, they were of far higher quality than the later localised versions of the 800. Had one for 2 years...it was a blast to drive.

Search around the forum for Edmunds restoration project on the old 800. You will find that thread particularly interesting.
Hi. GTO I also had a 1987 DX used it for 4 years but sold it to go for new shape. Today also I am repenting that step I took no wonder the buyer thaked me million times for selling my car to him, he must be thinking about as a biggest fool in this world.
Old 3rd June 2009, 21:11   #302
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi. GTO I also had a 1987 DX used it for 4 years but sold it to go for new shape. Today also I am repenting that step I took no wonder the buyer thaked me million times for selling my car to him, he must be thinking about as a biggest fool in this world.
1987 sure? they were only made till 85. Just 2 years of commercial production 84 and 85.

I sold mine for 19k in year 2000 [it had done close to 3L Kms] :( couldn't afford any more parking space. But no regrets except for the price. The wagonR which was it's replacement has served well over the past 8.5 years.
Old 3rd June 2009, 21:30   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Wow a nice thread reviving interesting memories from 1984 when i first drove one in Delhi and by March 85 paid a huge premium to become owner of one. Non deluxe model but got the original a/c fitted. Was amazed that the whole Jap package came with everything down to the last screw and "O" ring.

The next summers I took this car to Kashmir and back without having to open the bonnet even once! This when Fiats and Ambassadors needed constant radiator top ups every 50~100kms when traversing between Jammu and Verinag (Pir Panchal Mountains before Kashmir valley) without even the a/c.

Late in 1985 December I purchased three of the Dx version directly without any booking or premium 'cause people were not buying Dx version due to price - 88k~90k on road.

In 1988 I used one of these to enter the Himalayan Rally. And surprised a lot of people by going though terrains that were fit for Jeeps, Gypsy or Jonga's. Did not complete due to co-driver having high malarial fever on the fifth day. I continued to use the "old" model for Himalayan Rally for next few years and finally finished and won the class prize. Sadly next year while we were again ready, with good sponsorship to support us, the Himalayan Rally got canceled and never took place again.

Great car and much better handler than the subsequent model. It had front half chassis and that made for a strong chassis which could also be used for making an engine under-shield. Only thing that troubled us to no end was rims (Jap as well a Indian) which would bend. No alloys were on hand due to cost and quality issues. On the other hand each rally would see us back by six to eight tyre's. That is the amount of punishment this car and suspension would take. The tyre tread would be completely worn down.
Dear Sudev I would like to give you a information about DX version. Now before DX version regular 800 was available, then Maruti thought of DX version with AC so one 800 was fitted with AC in the gurgaon factory and team of 4 engineers drove all the way to Mussoorie with full blast AC in ON position without halt and similarly came back to Gurgaon to test any abnormalty in function of engine they found nothing wrong and finally DX was born. All other goodies like seat covers ,clock,seatbelts,carpets etc were just add ons. Many people got AC fitted in non AC 800 version but it never worked as smooth as original factory fitted ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
1987 sure? they were only made till 85. Just 2 years of commercial production 84 and 85.

I sold mine for 19k in year 2000 [it had done close to 3L Kms] :( couldn't afford any more parking space. But no regrets except for the price. The wagonR which was it's replacement has served well over the past 8.5 years.
Sorry Dost it was 1985 and I was a second owner. Previous owner gave ne velvet seat covers when I took delivery, he said that he had given them for dry cleaning, they were add on loose covers. Isold that car in Mumbai but now somany years later also NEVER SAW HER AGAIN ON ROAD. May be she is alive or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
santhosh,
if you try in newzealand, you are sure to get SGP spares for altoSS80
SIR, there are plenty of them in pakistan still used as taxies .

Note from Moderator: Avoid posting consecutively. Please use edit function.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2009 at 09:54.
Old 4th June 2009, 04:23   #304
Senior - BHPian

I love this picture behind the Maruti Tissue box. Thank god they didn't change it.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-m800.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 09:49   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I love this picture behind the Maruti Tissue box. Thank god they didn't change it.
Somethings are better left unchanged. I think they had a series of 3-4 different views of the car. Note those period Suzuki wheelcovers, only one car and one van in Pune still runs them.

Later Jackson tissue boxes also featured the Maruti 1000, earliest models without the 'M' logo on bonnet.

Amol, are you listening?
Old 4th June 2009, 10:34   #306
BHPian

Gents,

Seems no help pouring in on my restoration project.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:40   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
Gents,

I hope this is where you are looking for help?

Quote:
Need to source the following (Urgent Help Required)
1. Front Shocker Mounts.
2. New Front Grille.
3. New Silver Lining for front Windscreen.
4. New Silver Lining for Gutter Channels.
5. New Window Beadings.
6. New Door Panels.
Just bumping up to seek some attention
Old 4th June 2009, 13:53   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
Gents,
Ashish, when I saw this, the first thing that came to my mind was your post a few weeks ago. See your post below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100
not really, have always got my SS80 serviced from MASS for the last 25 years... no issues about parts.
Just kidding mate. We will try and help the best we can. Is your problem with spares because you do not have access to the spares at MASS since you are restoring your car elsewhere?

Please find my answers in bold below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100
Need to source the following (Urgent Help Required)
1. Front Shocker Mounts By front Shocker mounts, did you mean lower arm or the engine bedding/mounts? If it is lower arm, then get one from the next generation 800 or a Zen(see Shankar's informative post on interchangeable parts)
2. New Front Grille The Front Grille on my ss80 is brand new and I found the bill for it. I shall check from the same shop and let you know if it is still available.
3. New Silver Lining for front Windscreen Difficult to find. Remove the current ones with care. They tend to get bent while removing them. You may need to use the same if you are not able to find new ones.
4. New Silver Lining for Gutter Channels Same as point 3
5. New Window Beadings Same as point 3
6. New Door Panels Get them made in the original pattern
Other point that you need help is regarding A/C. Will find out for you whats involved in the retrofit. In the meanwhile, try and find an original A/C unit from another scrapped SS80 DX.
Old 4th June 2009, 22:08   #309
Senior - BHPian

The tail lamps for the SS80 are available. I just saw them today. They are not the original Tokai Denso ones but some brand called Lispart. Damn cheap too. Rs.198/-
Old 4th June 2009, 23:13   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Later Jackson tissue boxes also featured the Maruti 1000, earliest models without the 'M' logo on bonnet.

Amol, are you listening?
What "M" logo on the bonnet my car never had that, do you have a pic?
looks like the time has come to post a pic of my Maruti 1000 here poor thing has been crying for attention competing with the pontons and dukkars in my garage.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:05   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Arrey baba that's what Im saying no. The earliest cars didn't have the logo, just like yours.
Old 5th June 2009, 11:28   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Arrey baba that's what Im saying no. The earliest cars didn't have the logo, just like yours.
I did not know Maruti had an 'M' division

(There's nothing quite like adding to the confusion!!!)

Aditya
Old 5th June 2009, 12:48   #313
BHPian

@ ashishc100 - I recently did restoration on my SS80. Here are some answers that might help:

2. New Front Grille - Mine was fine. I just got it painted matt black and it looks as good as new.
3. New Silver Lining for front Windscreen - Difficult to source. I retained the original, though it has lost some of its chrome.
4. New Silver Lining for Gutter Channels - Same as 3. I had already lost mine, did not bother to replace until I find it somewhere.
5. New Window Beadings - Chanced upon an original set lying with a stockist! (500 bucks)
6. New Door Panels - Not available, have to be fabricated. Have been quoted 750 bucks for it.

In addition:

Tail light assembly - not original. Got a good quality spare for 150 bucks though.
Head lamp assembly - Chanced upon an original at the kabadi market.

I suggest you scout the kabadi market in your city. It might throw up something.

Last edited by the_maassk : 5th June 2009 at 12:49.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:13   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The tail lamps for the SS80 are available. I just saw them today. They are not the original Tokai Denso ones but some brand called Lispart. Damn cheap too. Rs.198/-

lot of other cheap makes like toyo, and lumax are also available but nothing like OE NOS Tokai Denso, but horribly expensive .I recently was offered a pair (L/R) Tail lamp assembly in original packing for Rs.3000/-!!!
Old 5th June 2009, 14:05   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Actually it would have been until '86. I recall having heard of them being made until the end of '86.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks