Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2009, 20:36   #376
gpa
Senior - BHPian

A great finish and the color looks really rich. Congrats on keeping her in such fine form! That is why you got enquiries on if she was up for sale.

Why don't you ask a M.A.S.S dealer about the a/c for the car? Once you get their inputs you can then decide how to proceed.
Old 5th July 2009, 20:39   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations a good job is getting done.One thing is certain- the Maruti SS80 will be the least troublesome classic car to maintain i almost every respect. It requires very,very less pampering and if one pampers it, its all the more in full form at your faithful service.
Old 6th July 2009, 00:33   #378
Senior - BHPian

Just a point of discussion, with no malice to anyone owning a 1st generation Maruti.
Would it not be more worthwhile to locate an early Japanese coupe, say a Toyota or Datsun like a Sunny and do that up? They were very good to use, would be different, and being a coupe there is hope of some appreciation in future. Just think about it.
Old 6th July 2009, 00:53   #379
BHPian

Congrats Ashish, fantastic restoration work. Post some picture of interior too.
Old 6th July 2009, 10:32   #380
BHPian

Ashish, congrats on the neat restoration. Since you have done a end to end restore, your ss80 should'nt need another restoration for another 10 to 15 years. So did you find roof gutter rails, window weather strips etc that you were looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just a point of discussion, with no malice to anyone owning a 1st generation Maruti.
Would it not be more worthwhile to locate an early Japanese coupe, say a Toyota or Datsun like a Sunny and do that up? They were very good to use, would be different, and being a coupe there is hope of some appreciation in future. Just think about it.
I think the answer to your question lies in anjan_c2007's post.

Here are a few points in ss80's favour:
  • is reliable and can be used as a daily driver (I do)
  • easier to maintain than most classics because of availability of spares and interchangeability of spares from the next generation 800
  • a few thousand cars were sold in India, so availability of spares atleast from the Gujari is not that much of a problem
  • the ss80 was a landmark car in India's automobile history
  • can be made to look very sporty with some very simple mods
Most people I have seen are able to relate to this car and have only nice things to say about it. It is known my many names in Bangalore - 'Sanjay Gandhi model', 'first model 800', 'dolphin shape 800', 'puttani(tiny in kannada) 800', 'japanese model 800' and so on.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:25   #381
BHPian

Thanks guys,

Well let me put it that I tried to put in my sincere efforts in restoring the engine and body of our SS80 due to an undying love for the car in the family since last 25 years.

However, I am still not very satisfied with some aspects and would have wanted it to be done really well but to limited VITAMIN 'M' and almost 3 more cars in the house to be attended to, sometimes the SS80 gets neglected.

What has been done with the car in the last 5-6 weeks of good attention was long overdue keeping in mind that the car is still used by my mother everyday to commute to her workplace and has a daily running of 20-25 kms.

I over the next few days/ week plan to restore the interiors of the car including a new ICE system. However wat is stumbling block in the entire exercise is my professional committment and lack of a trusted vendor to do the entire interios revamp.

Consulted Pandit & CO. in Okhla, New Delhi over the last weekend and they were pretty willing to do the job but for a substaintial premium. I am sure they would do a much better job than one can envisage but the Vitamin M factor also needs to be considered genuinely.

Am still waiting for some hardcore delhi car enthusiats to help me as to where to get the interiors done at a nominal cost.

Cheers.
Old 6th July 2009, 17:48   #382
BHPian

Congrats Ashish! Your car looks really nice and has a very good bodyline. Also from which car are the indicator lights on the front fender,they look very familiar. Are they from Gypsy?
Old 6th July 2009, 23:12   #383
BHPian

hey thanks jai and everyone else...

guys can someone help me source a new wiper assy. motor for the car. Mine is too weak and the wipers somehow dont work too well.
Old 8th July 2009, 17:05   #384
BHPian

OLD vs NEW

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-24042009082.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-050720091111.jpg

In between visited Pandit & Co. today for getting the interiors done. Got a Quote for almost 22k to do the entire interiors including full insulation.

Was surprised to see so many vintage cars being restored in their Okhla Workshop. Their restoration quality is top notch.

Do you think I can get a get the same quality for any other vendor in Delhi.
Guys need to take a decision on interiors pretty soon, so help needed.
Old 12th July 2009, 13:53   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
hey thanks jai and everyone else...

guys can someone help me source a new wiper assy. motor for the car. Mine is too weak and the wipers somehow dont work too well.
i have heard the wipers in the SS80 are generally slow and not fit to handle heavy downpours!!!
Old 12th July 2009, 15:44   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
i have heard the wipers in the SS80 are generally slow and not fit to handle heavy downpours!!!
In that case is it possible to change the motor for a newer model one? (For practical reasons)
Old 12th July 2009, 15:49   #387
BANNED

There's a white SS80 lying in a scrapyard in Navelim, Goa. Looks to have all external parts intact. Body condition is also good. Anyone interested in rescuing it?
Old 12th July 2009, 16:24   #388
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
In that case is it possible to change the motor for a newer model one?
Yes, this can be done. Will involve some very minor cutting of the firewall to ensure the new motor fits in the right place.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:10   #389
BHPian

GPA, wat do u mean by 'minor cutting of the firewall'. Where is the firewall. Being a not so technical guy, kindly guide me in that.
Old 14th July 2009, 22:15   #390
BHPian

fire wall is just behind the engine whick carries the identification plate

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks