Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Whats the quote ajay ?
it is in your inbox
Old 24th May 2010, 16:22   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

AAAAAGHH!!! I want to cry!! :((

We had a short spell of a cyclone-induced storm here in AP over the weekend.

And look what the mean wind did to my SS80!!

'happened to see it only yesterday morning. Luckily the glass, on the stay bolt and hinges breaking off, was thrown onto the roof and remained there until I saw it and put it inside the car.......had it fallen elsewhere....!!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_6106.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_6108.jpg

I'm not sure but I do remember I had locked the dicky/glass when I'd opened it to take out something from the car before parking it at home. Although I was in a hurry at the time so maybe the lock didnt fall into place when I shut the glass!

I do have a pair of used hinges lying at home but I cant remember where I stashed them away nor do I have the time to search for them, being busy with my exams this week!

So have asked my mechanic to get me a new pair (original) today, and just replace the hinges, as I dont have time now to take the car down to fix the glass stay as well, which anyways needs replacement. I will get it done after my exams.
'just a little worried about the glass lying in the car, which is parked in our apartment parking. But taking it out to keep it at home would leave the car open at the rear, to some pesky kids/vandals in our society!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:56   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
We had a short spell of a cyclone-induced storm here in AP over the weekend.

And look what the mean wind did to my SS80!!

'happened to see it only yesterday morning. Luckily the glass, on the stay bolt and hinges breaking off, was thrown onto the roof and remained there until I saw it and put it inside the car.......had it fallen elsewhere....!!

Attachment 354298

Attachment 354299

I'm not sure but I do remember I had locked the dicky/glass when I'd opened it to take out something from the car before parking it at home. Although I was in a hurry at the time so maybe the lock didnt fall into place when I shut the glass!

I do have a pair of used hinges lying at home but I cant remember where I stashed them away nor do I have the time to search for them, being busy with my exams this week!

So have asked my mechanic to get me a new pair (original) today, and just replace the hinges, as I dont have time now to take the car down to fix the glass stay as well, which anyways needs replacement. I will get it done after my exams.
'just a little worried about the glass lying in the car, which is parked in our apartment parking. But taking it out to keep it at home would leave the car open at the rear, to some pesky kids/vandals in our society!

you should get the glass back in place as soon as possible lest moiture seep inside and damage the upholstery
Old 25th May 2010, 19:25   #875
Senior - BHPian

Yes, please get the glass back in place ASAP.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th May 2010 at 19:26.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:40   #876
BHPian

Saw this ad in our classifieds section and I am interested. I have asked for more details to the poster. In the meantime, do any of the guys here from Kerala recognise this car. Any info would really help me.

Is the asking price too much for a 1984, 'good' condition SS80?

Team-BHP Classifieds - Maruti ss80, kerala, 1984, white - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by basilmabraham : 27th May 2010 at 00:55.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:38   #877
BHPian

Dear Basil,

Judging from the pics the car can be considered to be just a fair condition SS80. I am apprehensive about whether the asking price is fair.

Last month I came across a single owner very original car 85 std (KBT***) sold for a lesser price.

If you are keen about the originality suggest you look for a car that is not messed up much(tinkered/painted). But you will need to shell out a premium for it.

Or if you are able to find the NOS spares for restoring a car then go for a car that is similar to the one in the ad, but not at such a premium price.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 27th May 2010 at 08:43.
Old 27th May 2010, 18:44   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
you should get the glass back in place as soon as possible lest moiture seep inside and damage the upholstery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, please get the glass back in place ASAP.
Yup, my mech. has temporarily fixed it for now. Unfortunately, the damage is a bit more serious than it appeared- the hinges are out of alignment at the places where they are fitted on the roof!! Especially the left one, which broken when fitted because it couldnt sit straight!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_6131.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_6133.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_6138.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_6139.jpg

The garage guys have told me to get the car on monday to get this fixed. Which would be a chance for me to get some other minor niggles fixed as well. And also considering doing a touch-up on the left side, which has some shoddily fixed and touched up old dents.

Following the incident, I parked the car the other way round, so the rear doesnt face the open end of the parking lot, just in case!

Last edited by Stanher : 27th May 2010 at 18:51.
Old 27th May 2010, 20:30   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Saw this ad in our classifieds section and I am interested. I have asked for more details to the poster. In the meantime, do any of the guys here from Kerala recognise this car. Any info would really help me.

Is the asking price too much for a 1984, 'good' condition SS80?

Team-BHP Classifieds - Maruti ss80, kerala, 1984, white - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
the car looks nice in the photos
seems to be a standard model.
ask for photos of the rear,right side ,dash,interiors.etc.
price is bit high considering it is a standard NON A/c model and doesnot have original sealed beam, park lights,etc
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2010, 19:44   #880
BHPian

Fine Example!

Here's a fine example, i am not going to say original cause i know it's not, but it's a treat to look at, kinda like the other white example in south India.

It's at a Maruti-Suzuki Dealership on the way to my college, done up to be put on display!

Atleast they've learnt the relevance of the first gen 800! Kudos to that!

They should've consulted an automotive historian to have had the car as it were on the day it rolled out of the factory!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-imgp0030.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-imgp0028.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-imgp0031.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-imgp0032.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-imgp0029.jpg

They should've consulted an automotive historian to have had the car as it were on the day it rolled out of the factory!
Old 9th June 2010, 19:58   #881
Senior - BHPian

So finally Maruti folks turned their historical pages over. I agree with you regarding the consultation part. The car has many non original bits which can be immediately picked by our fellow enthusiasts such as the New generation rims, Lumax headlamps(non sealed) et al. It has to be a 99% original car if it represents the history. But overall a very decent restoration job.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:13   #882
Senior - BHPian

Hurray!!

I should say this white coloured maruti arouse the initial intrest in me of having one, as declared not original (from the eye of a originality seeker) but by and large its fine to be a daily runner, i know its for the display and I am sure this will relive the memories and plans to restore/remind the customer walking in.

This make the second car apart from the one which I've seen today while going to office. The car is in red colour with all the possible originality trust me guys even the paint is N E A T having said this I bet its not repainted for sure. The owner (i guess with the way he is driving) cruising cautiously though a crazy qualis was honking badly at him still the maruti owner gave a easy look and took little left and was driving the car is such a gentle style. Muahaah!!

I simply fell in love with the car. With this I think another buy or let's call probable addition of a new machine in my life or should I say trouble addition (parking) to amma begins.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:40   #883
BANNED

That White SS80, by any standards is a great looker.

Looks so factory fresh, Would not mind paying the price for that car
Old 10th June 2010, 22:52   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Here's a fine example, i am not going to say original cause i know it's not, but it's a treat to look at, kinda like the other white example in south India.
Its a great looker. On the originality front it has generated my curiosity in the Bonnet opener.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-imgp0032.jpg

It seems original. Also the car seems to be an SS80 DX model. Seat belts, Antenna and tinted glass are indications.

A neat restoration. But I would prefer the original Francois White(Slight greenish yellow tint) as in Jai3033's car.
Old 10th June 2010, 23:09   #885
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Its a great looker. On the originality front it has generated my curiosity in the Bonnet opener.

Attachment 364948

It seems original. Also the car seems to be an SS80 DX model. Seat belts, Antenna and tinted glass are indications.

A neat restoration. But I would prefer the original Francois White(Slight greenish yellow tint) as in Jai3033's car.
Why is it running on Temporary registered plate.

Dont tell me its a brand new, unregistered car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks