Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 04:13   #1051
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

ohh no the ss80's are still quite common in delhi and most are in decent condition(cars that are naturally not prone to rusting dont rust here in delhi unless not taken care of) although most arent used anymore and just lie about.its the fiats that are rare , but today i saw 3 s1 fiats in the same locality and 2 were side by side. a very rare sight in delhi.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:37   #1052
BHPian

what a thread. brings back memories of good times spent traveling in 1985 (or around) SS80 DX which belonged to an uncle of mine who sold it in 2-3 yrs. and bought a premier padmini.

i just saw an AD posted in Quikr for a single owner SS80 located in Mumbai with asking price of 40k; incase anyone insterested.

Maruti 800 fronti/Dinky, ss80 - Mumbai: Cars in Mumbai at Quikr Mumbai
Old 18th June 2011, 23:00   #1053
BHPian

guys.... have u seen the trailers of Delhi Belly.... seems there is a sky blue SS80 being used in the movie by one of the female leads...

would be interesting to see the state of the vehicle being used in the movie and what happens to it..

hope its not being used just because they needed a car available at throw away prices which they could rip apart in the movie....
Old 21st June 2011, 16:04   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Few NOS ss80 parts are available in a shop here
1.Rear Windshield(dicky ) gas filled shock
2.door pad bezels
3.Door rubber beadings.
if anyone needs them please pm me.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-ds.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dss.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-da.jpg  

Old 21st June 2011, 22:47   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
guys.... have u seen the trailers of Delhi Belly.... seems there is a sky blue SS80 being used in the movie by one of the female leads...

would be interesting to see the state of the vehicle being used in the movie and what happens to it..

hope its not being used just because they needed a car available at throw away prices which they could rip apart in the movie....
I am pretty sure that was infact the reason why they used it. THere are a decent number of ss80s here in delhi that are just lying unused and go for pretty much no money. Any kind of old car , may it be the ss80, the fiat or the contessa , has no takers here in delhi.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:10   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
I am pretty sure that was infact the reason why they used it. THere are a decent number of ss80s here in delhi that are just lying unused and go for pretty much no money. Any kind of old car , may it be the ss80, the fiat or the contessa , has no takers here in delhi.
The 1984-85 contessa (ones with the HM engine and chrome bumpers) are almost extinct in Kerala.Genuine SS80(especially DX) are also very difficult to find these days.Just last week a good bangalore regd SS80 DX (with tax arrears etc) changed hands for Rs.70000/-.Of course used car dealers will value SS80's only in the range 15000 to 30000/-
Old 26th June 2011, 22:32   #1057
Distinguished - BHPian

Back after quite a long time!!

I've always wondered if my SS80 has the original company-fitted upholstery intact under the gaudy semi-cloth (velvet) ones it was fitted with by one of the previous owners and I had retained all along (except for the covers on the front headrests)
In any case, ever since I bought the car, I never liked the cloth upholstery that it came to me with- I dont know if its only in hyderabad, but its ocmmon to find cars (except maybe the very new ones) fitted with seat-covers of gaudy, grosse designs/hues!

And frankly I NEVER like cloth seat-covers! They take in your sweat (in case of non-AC cars), they tend to stink once your sweat goes in and they readily invite dust. You can always dust off a leather/rexine seat-cover but never a cloth one. When you try beating the dust off them, they raise a cloud of dust all over you! It's different in foreign countries where hand-held portable vaccum cleaners for car seats are common.

However, I couldnt take them off immediately as I couldnt afford to get new leather/rexine ones plus I had no choice but to leave them on during summers when the whole car boils up when not indoors!!

I would however, often feel the seats and could make out the original covers intact under them, could clearly feel the red "piping" that runs on the top and 'lap' of the original seats.

However, my curiosity (and maybe impatience) eventually got the better of me- they say curiosity killed the cat, so thought I should be ok!

So here started the prodding- I first made a small tear on the 'lap' of the left front seat and could make out the original factory-fitted cover intact! The tear got bigger and taking out all the sponge stuffing under the covers I could feel the upholstery intact enough.

And then, if a stitch in time saves nine, a tear over time leads to nine!

At first, I thought of leaving them to the upholstery guy who could do a careful job but then the one I know is quite far off so going to him is a time-consuming job, and he may not agree to do it immediately.

So finally, I decided to brave tearing off the cloth covers myself, to reveal the original ones.

twas more like a strip-tease fashion, first the headrests, then the 'lap' of the front seats.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_8871.jpg

Then just after I returned home this evening from a trip, I straightaway went for the rear seats, first bottom then top. 'was glad to find them both all intact!! The covers on these came off most effortlessly. (just had to unhook them from the underside!)

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_8997.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9000.jpg

Now for the front- left seat first.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_8998.jpg

Curiosity, thou art a wickedness........and I'm loving thee!!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9001.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9002.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9003.jpg

And what is curiosity if not followed by temptation- so on to the right/driver's seat next!!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9005.jpg

A small part is left on the front seats stuck between the mounting bolts and the seat, which I'll leave to the upholstery guy to take off when I can.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9006.jpg

I've saved all the cloth seat covers and most of the sponges for the time being. I could use the covers as a mat while lying underneath the car etc. but then again, storing them leads to dust, so not yet sure!

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_8996.jpg

BTW, found these 2 parts inside the rear pouch of the now-removed seat-covers. Any idea what these are? The plate looks like a blanking plate- do these belong to the SS80??

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_9004.jpg
Old 26th June 2011, 23:05   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Lucky you- the original upholstery seems intact and well protected by those cloth covers even after decades. Do take some precautions to protect them from wear and tear. Rub it off with some good vinyl and leather cleaner to make it look richer.
BTW do i see your herald's wheel in background in one of your pics. Any recent happenings on the same.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:04   #1059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Do take some precautions to protect them from wear and tear. Rub it off with some good vinyl and leather cleaner to make it look richer.
Thanks sagar! Yes, lucky that it is still in good shape. The cloth covers seem to be a recent addition though.

I do use a good leather and vinyl cleaner, which I will for these seats as well.

Quote:
BTW do i see your herald's wheel in background in one of your pics. Any recent happenings on the same.
Yes, stay tuned for the same!
Old 28th June 2011, 12:57   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW, found these 2 parts inside the rear pouch of the now-removed seat-covers. Any idea what these are? The plate looks like a blanking plate- do these belong to the SS80??
Attachment 567010
The parts do belong to the SS80 the rubber Grommet and the Plate Comes beneath the rear seat cushion. The Plate is probably access to the Petrol Tank.

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-dsc00066.jpg
sureshkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:29   #1061
BHPian

Blue Maruti 800 ( SS80)

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-02072011050.jpg

Today I spotted this blue colour Maruti 800( SS80) [ pictured above ] parked in the parking lot of Ashoka Hotel , New Delhi.The car was in bad condition with rusting in many places and interior was also in poor condition with non original upholstery.The wheel rims are from new Maruti 800 and the car's grille has a DX badge but whether its originally a DX trim car or not I could not find it out due to paucity of time.The ORVM of right side along with turn indicators in the fenders were missing.Its really appalling to see this kind of neglect by the owner of the car.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 2nd July 2011 at 12:31. Reason: To correct errors in the sentences
Old 9th July 2011, 12:30   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

A full set of SS80 NOS door pads(heavy duty) 4pieces is available here.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-drpad1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-drpad2.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-drpad3.jpg  

Old 11th July 2011, 19:03   #1063
BHPian

Hey Ajay99,

That's a really good find. My friend would be interested please PM the contact number will ask him to call.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:45   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
A full set of SS80 NOS door pads(heavy duty) 4pieces is available here.

I would be interested in the full set for my SS80. Do let me how I can contact you for acquiring the same.
Old 12th July 2011, 18:23   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
I would be interested in the full set for my SS80. Do let me how I can contact you for acquiring the same.
you can private message(pm) me or you can send me your email ID

Most Viewed