Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 00:03   #1201
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

if you guys think that single owner ss80's that are original, going for 45 is a steal; then you should buy them from delhi. youll get plenty of options, for 20000 or less and original as well. btw , the very first maruti 800 belonging to mister harpal singh is back. i took pictures of it. there is slight rust formation beginning on a door, but it stil is incredibly original.
Old 26th November 2011, 01:09   #1202
Senior - BHPian

45 K for a SS thats amazing, in north india you can get fine examples for as less as 10 K
Old 26th November 2011, 16:48   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
the very first maruti 800 belonging to mister harpal singh is back. i took pictures of it. there is slight rust formation beginning on a door, but it stil is incredibly original.
Thats great news! So does he still own the car?? Did you try for it?

And yes, where are the pics.??
Old 27th November 2011, 22:17   #1204
BHPian

gUys...

today morning I woke up with a conviction to clean my ss80 which hadnt been touched for the last month or so...

got my cleaning kit including the wash and wax out, lots of water and after almost an hour or cleaning the baby was shining like anything...

and then after driving it around the colony for some 10 mins and aFter muCh delIberation to seLL my ss80 std or no after 28 years on ownership within the family, I have given the car for some basic restoration before I reconsider my decision

the car made its way to workshop by the noon and will undergo the following:

1. brakes overhaul with rear drums grinding and new brake pads
2. some minor attention to the electricals with retaping of entire wiring
3. underbody repairs with attention to rust and damage caused over last 28 years
4. denting and painting with slight body pulling and lots of attention to rust areas
5. new door pads (thanks to ajay)
6. new wiper motor ( againt thanks to ajay in advance... i will source the same from him)

all this is happening without letting my family know and according to them the car has left for some minor repairs post which I would sell it... lets see how they react to it when it lands back in the parking lot in the next 10 days..
Old 1st December 2011, 11:35   #1205
Senior - BHPian

I have finalized the purchase of the green SS80 with effect from 30-11-2011. Some minor work will be carried out initially. My first expenditure started with filling fuel worth Rs500.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:40   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rajeev and Ashish please post some pictures of the restoration process.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 17:06   #1207
BHPian

@shyam. yes he still owns the car and its used by his grandson now...who i am sure doesnt care for it much ,just treats it as just another transport. the cars still in decent nick and no i didnt ask him about it. the first 800 should stay with the first 800 owner for as long as it can. the person too is part of history now.

Anyways here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-maruti-1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-maruti-23.jpg  

mycarhasablower is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 19:15   #1208

What's the expected mileage of an SS80

I have an SS80, but I get 16 KM/Lit with A/C, is this OK ??
Old 9th December 2011, 12:44   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbj2 View Post
What's the expected mileage of an SS80

I have an SS80, but I get 16 KM/Lit with A/C, is this OK ??
with a/c working that can be considered okay.
I know of an SS80 DX which used to give 25kms/litre with a/c on highways.(this was in 1994 when the particular car had done only 24000kms)
Old 9th December 2011, 14:15   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone guide be on the pros and cons of reconditioning a drive shaft. There are guys in Ernakulam who does that for around Rs 1200. How dependable it would be?
Old 9th December 2011, 14:38   #1211
Senior - BHPian

That first SS80 (DIA XXXX) has got lots of original parts intact except the side markets on the front bumper. Sad to see it in such condition though. Hope the owner restores it or some good restorer picks it up and brings it to its original glory. Not a tough job it seems at least cosmetically since there not much rust visible on the exteriors.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:42   #1212
BHPian

currently the car is undergoing dent job including replacement of the running boards.. my denter has been able to source new ones from kashmere gate..

the floor is showing signs of rust for the first time in 28 years of ownership.. so getting that attended with great precision.

will go this weekend to inspect the car and take some photographs of WIP and share with all.
Old 11th December 2011, 17:41   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@shyam. yes he still owns the car and its used by his grandson now...who i am sure doesnt care for it much ,just treats it as just another transport. the cars still in decent nick and no i didnt ask him about it. the first 800 should stay with the first 800 owner for as long as it can. the person too is part of history now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
That first SS80 (DIA XXXX) has got lots of original parts intact except the side markets on the front bumper. Sad to see it in such condition though. Hope the owner restores it or some good restorer picks it up and brings it to its original glory. Not a tough job it seems at least cosmetically since there not much rust visible on the exteriors.
Glad to see the pics. Yes, poor thing looks rather tired and weary. Is it always parked outside there btw??
But just needs a little TLC by the looks of it. It still has even the original chrome stripe stickers intact on the rear!
With due respect to the owner, it looks like none in the family in general has realised the value of the car as such (maybe I'm wrong!) as it looks like its been kept as just a daily runabout to serve them as long as it runs and gets spares. Otherwise it would've surely been better maintained.

Yes I agree that the first 800/SS80 should remain with the first owner o such cars, but then if its value as such a car is not realised by the very people who own it, then whats the use? Better it goes to someone who knows it for what it is and treats it better!

Maybe you should befriend the grandson and talk to him about taking better care of this car. I hope it still has the original keys (which IIRC was given by hand to Mr. Singh by Indira Gandhi)

'hope it sees better days.

Last edited by Stanher : 11th December 2011 at 17:54.
Old 11th December 2011, 18:58   #1214
Senior - BHPian

I located a new LHS drive shaft and the price is Rs 2100. I am toying with the reconditioning idea for the RHS one. Any advice is welcome on that.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:27   #1215

By drive shaft you mean the two shaft that rotates the two wheels in the front ?? I think it should be possible to use the shaft of a Maruti 800 car (newer models). I did that for my car.

Repairing a shaft may not always work out OK, as this will depend on the machining quality and the condition of the shaft.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks