Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:31   #31
BANNED

If an 800 cost 30K, then whats big deal about Tata's Nano, The Great 100K Car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
it cost about Rs.30000 more than the base version
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

Ajay is saying that the DX version is 30k MORE than the base version. Besides 30k in 1987 (or whenever the 800 was launched) isnt the same as 30k in 2008.
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Ajay,if you are a die hard ss80 fan kudos to you.please post some insights into the subject buddie.I am not against any car brother.i love the ss80 personally.I just post the comment for the pains taken in making the car a pleasure for the eyes buddie.
ram
Old 23rd March 2008, 14:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram, what do you want to know abt SS80.I have already posted the major features of SS80 DX version here.
here are some snippets.
MARUTI SUZUKI SS80 was marketed worldwide by SUZUKI MOTORS JAPAN as SUZUKI ALTOSS80 between 1980 and 1984 whereas it was sold as our own Maruti 800 between 83 November and June 86 before it was replaced by SB-308IN .
The original colours available were RED, SKY Blue,Dark Brown, White and Green ( few cars only)
In Kerala the first cars was delivered only in November 1984 by POPULAR VEHICLES & SERVICESLTD
The DELUXE version was the first car to be manufactured in INDIA with a company A/C, Inbuilt RADIO/STEREO and STANLEY LEATHER SEATS.
It had a separate instruction manual for the air conditioner
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The original colours available were RED, SKY Blue,Dark Brown, White and Green ( few cars only)
The most popular colours (and the best in my humble opinion) was the tomato red, off white and chocolate brown. Then comes the powder blue and lastly the green, which I never cared for. But you seem to be forgetting the "racing blue" which was also offered on very few cars. The colour was carried over to the next gen as well, but never offered on the van.

If ever in Pune I will show you 3-4 real virgin cars, I would like to own one like those some day.
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

any photos/details of these "virgin' cars?
Are they standard or Deluxe ones?
My info was racing blue was introduced only in 1986december in SB308IN.I am not 100% sure.
will have to verify
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:37   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
any photos/details of these "virgin' cars?
Are they standard or Deluxe ones?
My info was racing blue was introduced only in 1986december in SB308IN.I am not 100% sure.
will have to verify
Well I have assumed racing blue was offered brand new as I have seen many cars in the shade. There is the remote possibilty that they were all later re paints.

Sorry, no photos at the moment but Im definitely keeping my eyes open the next time I see one.
Old 23rd March 2008, 19:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

<Picture: Default>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo <Picture: View Post>

Ajay is saying that the DX version is 30k MORE than the base version. Besides 30k in 1987 (or whenever the 800 was launched) isnt the same as 30k in 2008.QUOTE)

Sorry to correct you guys.
the Exfactory price of a1984 Maruti SS80 Standard was Rs.45000/- and that of DX version Rs.75000/
The newer version SB308 IN version was introduced in June1986 and Standard model was priced at Rs.65000/- and the deluxe version was sold at Rs.100,000/-(ex factory
The onroad prices were around Rs.80000/- and Rs.120000/- repectively.
It may be interesting to note that the Maruti Deluxe version in mid1989(last year of the trueDELUXE) was selling for Rs.145000/- onroad!!That year they stopped the version having stereo,clock, seat belts,Leather seats,fur type carpets+ rubber mats) and just gave an A/c +TG + special fabricseat covers( available from 1987 as Semi deluxe or A/C maruti)

One can take the value of Rs.30000/- in 1987 to be the equivalent of Rs.300000/- today.
In those days driving a Deluxe Maruthi800 was considered to be a privilege especially in smaller cities and towns like Trivandrum.
It was an apirational car for the teenagers of the 80's era.!!
For heavens sake dont compare the NANO with the maruti 800 DX of the 80's.
I read somewhere that some cars are "made by ***'s for the MASSES" dont know if they were referring to any car in particular!!!
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2008, 20:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Ajay i had seen one at alleppey medical college.The proud owner is a female doc.Ill try to get the pics.I feel its her first car.Anyways thanks for the additional info bro.
ram
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

my neighbor sold the virgin one 4years ago it was red well maintained, all stock and did 3lac+ kms sold this and got an accent, will try and post the pics of the same if i can find.

i really appreciate the owner for the car was so well maintained and completely stock, no broken knobs, lights every thing that came with the car was still there though the tail lamps were changed once as the stock faded as claimed by him. will try and source the pictures, because he sold it one of his relatives.
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:51   #41
BHPian

My uncle had that car Sky Blue 1985 model. I was around 8 years old that time. We used to go for ride in it. Real great car it was damn smooth. When we grew up my cousin used to ride it and rip it at 100 plus and boy what a car it was used to fly like anything since it being light weight. Just miss it.
Old 24th March 2008, 11:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The most popular colours (and the best in my humble opinion) was the tomato red, off white and chocolate brown. Then comes the powder blue and lastly the green, which I never cared for. But you seem to be forgetting the "racing blue" which was also offered on very few cars. The colour was carried over to the next gen as well, but never offered on the van.

If ever in Pune I will show you 3-4 real virgin cars, I would like to own one like those some day.
we had one in chocolate brown color ..... it was one hell of a car, it did almost 1.75lac kms before we sold it off very bad decision

my father bought it for 65k i guess, we had booked 10 cars lol and i think 2 come in draw, one was taken by another friend of my father, car was really fabulous never let us down. we used to get 22-23 in highway without AC(there was no AC in the car, only blower). it was mostly used in highway. i had seen 130+ kmph on the speedo many times, never drove it much but learnt driving on it, i think i was 13 yrs old when i first drove it lol, always used to take it out of garage and turn it around, thats wat i was allowed to do, have to put cushion on the seat , other wise couldn't see anything front hehe.
Old 24th March 2008, 13:26   #43
Team-BHP Support

The M800 was our family's first car.
Got a second hand one, in excellent condition, in the Color Rin blue. Yes Rin blue. Reason : Lower resale, so we got a good deal.
It was the "New model", on which the current 800 is based.
Since it was the first of the lot(1986), it was all japanese.
I remember clearly the newer made in India versions which would have the indicator lights turning white because of rainfall as the "Made in India orange color" faded away.
This was the best indication at that time of the "Made in India" 800.
Since we had the made in Japan install, it ran beautifully, and finally at around 120K kms, the engine had to be overhauled.
Sold it after a few years of ownership to buy another 800(white).
This was slightly improved made in India version(brand new off white) where the tail lights did not bleed color.
Sold that too around 1998-1999 whereabouts I think.
That was our second last Maruti(the last being a carb Black gypsy king)

We moved on from Maruti to Hyundai when zen delivery kept on getting delayed.
After that its been Hyundai and Tata for us.

But we have such fond school day memories of the white 800
If today I see that car somewhere, I would buy it.
Old 25th March 2008, 13:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote"I remember clearly the newer made in India versions which would have the indicator lights turning white because of rainfall as the "Made in India orange color" faded away.
This was the best indication at that time of the "Made in India" 800."Quote

TSK ,Your are absolutely right.
The japanese indicators lenses (amber) were made by TOKAI DENSO and they refuse to fade even 22 years later.the INDIAN OE replacement was LUMAX.it was first used in late 87 cars.and the amber became white within 2-3 years of use.From 1991LUMAX also got to know how to make NONFADING LENSES!!!.The other indigenous OE supplier was ALPHA TOYO in the 90's.
For maruti800 afficionados, the shocks were supplied to Maruti from1988 by GABRIELA (INDIA) and they were prone to leaks and failure and Maruti actually replaced at its own cost the shocks in many cars in 89 or 90(i dont remember the exact year)
Old 25th March 2008, 13:15   #45
BHPian

Had a gold color M800 (was my first car) - 5 speed MPFI engine .... engine was a materpiece for a small car ... I really miss it ... nostalgic already :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks