Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 19:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

I am starting a new thread for the first real Japanese car in India - the SS80 and SS80DX.

As all of you may remember, the first lot of Maruti 800's came with everything imported from Suzuki, Japan except for the Battery and tyres.
Even the paint was JAPANESE-really!!

The Deluxe (DX) version was launched as a premium car in those days and was available only on Foreign Exchange (NRI) payments (correct me If I am wrong). The differences from the "Standard" model were tinted glass (Suzuki Temperlite), Nippon Denso A/C, Maruti Clarion radio with Clarion HiFi speakers and external antenna on right A-pillar, digital clock (green digits) on the dashboard (centrally located), beige colour, Stanley leather seat covers and velvety floor carpet + rubber mats with Suzuki logo. It cost about Rs. 30,000 more than the base version.

Maruti SS80 DX - the best Maruti of all times.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2021 at 07:05. Reason: Spelling, spacing, punctuation, etc
ajay99 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th November 2007, 12:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, they were of far higher quality than the later localised versions of the 800. Had one for 2 years...it was a blast to drive.

Search around the forum for Edmunds restoration project on the old 800. You will find that thread particularly interesting.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2007, 13:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ah! The good old 800, about time someone started a thread to this legend which put india on wheels(after the ancient ambys and fiats).most of us learnt to drive in one, it was, and still is the first car for most people, and created a motoring revolution in india. has anybody noticed that the car is nearing its 25th birthday soon?but, Once the more modern cars arrived, the ss80 which was once the 'aspirational' car for most indians was sidelined. But now slowly, they seem to be making their reappearance slowly!
Edmund's car is proof for the renewed interest to there little beauties.
guys, pls come forward with your stories and experiences about this little car!
p.s: Ajay, u forgot one difference between the deluxe and standard. The deluxe model had 3 point seatbelts.K

Last edited by JayD : 24th November 2007 at 13:21.
Old 25th November 2007, 10:24   #4
BHPian

Yes, it was a great car indeed. I learnt driving on the SS80 which my dad bought in 1985. Was an amazing car, the quality is unmatched even in todays M800s
gopz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 15:37   #5
BHPian

it created such a buzz when it came on roads for 54,000 Rs. those good old days....!. and Maruti became such a household name !!
Old 26th November 2007, 20:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

The best one i have seen.

(Picture from Edmund's car gallery)
Quote:
Mauthi Suzuki SS80 DX
Didn't anyone notice the error in thread title? MODS, please correct it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th November 2007 at 20:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2007, 18:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

hicrazy driver,
I disagree with that statement.
this metallic blue colour ss80 lacks ORIGINALITY in all respects
1.not the original clolour.
2. park lights changed
3.headlights changed
4.Bonnet release button assembly removed in toto
and i can go on ......
I dont understand how you made that statement.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2007, 09:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ajay! relax buddy! He was looking at the 'pimped' aspect of the car. There are two sides to a classic na? the originilaty style and the hot rod style. This one qualifies for the latter i think!

Car looks HOT!, even though its not original and all..
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2007, 09:34   #9

That is beautiful! What would the price for one that is well-maintained, all-original and low-mileage?
Old 28th November 2007, 10:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

complete originality is not the concern here .that car is drivable looks decent-can take it to a marriage feeling.no odd mods done.and maybe all the lights are functioning looks so.
ram
Old 28th November 2007, 14:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

((((complete originality is not the concern here .that car is drivable looks decent-can take it to a marriage feeling.no odd mods done.and maybe all the lights are functioning looks so ram)))))

FULL originality is the GENUINE Concern ,,that is why this thread was started in VINTAGE& CLASSIC Section.
there are lot of driveable /decent SS80's on road but very few CONCOURS style cars. HYUNDAI guys may not be aware of SS80 originality as they came abut 16 years late to INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th November 2007, 18:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
FULL originality is the GENUINE Concern ,,that is why this thread was started in VINTAGE& CLASSIC Section.
oh! Sorry then if my post was inappropriate.
Quote:
HYUNDAI guys may not be aware of SS80 originality as they came abut 16 years late to INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!
Since this is a public forum, he can express his share of opinion. And as such, you haven't mentioned in the first post about 'ORIGINALITY'. Why the need for such an answer to his post?

Please ask any of the MODS to do edit the first post, if 'ORIGINALITY' is the prime concern.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2007, 12:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
((((complete originality is not the concern here .that car is drivable looks decent-can take it to a marriage feeling.no odd mods done.and maybe all the lights are functioning looks so ram)))))

there are lot of driveable /decent SS80's on road but very few CONCOURS style cars. HYUNDAI guys may not be aware of SS80 originality as they came abut 16 years late to INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!
ajay99: I beg to differ here. I am of the opinion that the SS80 cannot be called a recent classic even. Hence the very existence of this post in this section is questionable. The guidelines from the VCCCI are available in the linky below and that would give you an insight into which vehicles could be called classics and which one's Vintage.

Vintage and Classic Car Club of India - Membership & Privileges
Old 29th November 2007, 14:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Suren, I never intended/stated that SS80 is a classic .Moreover I am fully aware about the VCCCI criterion as well as FIVA criterion(international) on classics etc.
This may not be a classic today ,but remember SS80 stopped production 22years ago, and the way things are going it is on the way to be a sought after car.
for your info a single owner 1985 maruti SS80 standard model in mint condition(mileage 40000km) was sold recently for Rs.60000/- unbelievable!!! isn it? but it goes to show that shrewd car afficionados have started looking at this car seriously.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:05   #15
BHPian

ajay99 this is a fabulous community. Noone is going to understand your enthusiasm or love for cars or the SS80 in particular more than the people here. Most Newbies generally tend to get overexcited and come on board deciding they know more than others here and try to prove it in their first few posts. But you would be surprised at the knowledge of some of the guys here. Once you figure that out you'll come back down to earth. Seriously dont go off on people and sound hostile. Its not some battle of the wits. We know you love the SS80 and have immense knowledge on it. Share it with everyone and enjoy. At the same time treat people here like family and become a part of this board and one amongst us.

Last edited by BEEM3R : 29th November 2007 at 17:08.
BEEM3R is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks