Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2004, 12:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Unlike in Europe, the one advantage Skoda had in India was that they could start on a clean slate. No one knew what a pathetic brand it was before and their cars reeked of the quality that our 118 NEs did.

GTO
Very true GTO. Infact their "obsessed with quality since 1895" tagline really is a farce if one notices their history. Ever since their company was taken over by the communist forces in the fifties, their product quality started to decline. Decline so badly infact that as you rightly pointed out, they seemed just like our Premier Padminis and 118NEs. Even today, the government does own a stake in Skoda, but its smaller and VW generally calls all the shots.

Come to think of it, while their advertising strategy focusses on being obsessed with quality in India, their advertising in Europe still keeps saying, "It's a Skoda, which for some is still a problem." Inspite of being in the top 5 in the JD quality survey for the last 2-3 years. Really Skoda Europe has pulled it now for a bit too long and ad gurus have lamblasted the incumbent agency in UK for the same reason.

The new Octy(A5) really is getting Skoda a lot of rave reviews. Its been voted by an Elite group of architects, designers and the who's who in the art world as the most beautiful car of 2004. Its been voted by AutoBild as the best entry level sedan in Germany. I really expect the car to go places.

Revvmaster
Old 21st December 2004, 13:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The new Octy(A5) really is getting Skoda a lot of rave reviews. Its been voted by an Elite group of architects, designers and the who's who in the art world as the most beautiful car of 2004.
WHAT!! A great, solid car it may be, but beautiful? Hell no!

I saw a bunch of these new Octi's in Paris last month and they really look wierd from the front with that rounded face and lights. I much prefer the current Octi. The rear looks good, almost identical to the current version, just with flush lights.

The interiors are way ahead though, thats the best part about the new Octi.

Rt
Old 21st December 2004, 13:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
WHAT!! A great, solid car it may be, but beautiful? Hell no!
Rtech it ain't me that's saying, its Skoda's website...lol

N yes, i agree with you, i don't like the looks of the new car as much as the A4's. I hate those weird tail-lights, really they make the car look really ugly.

Read here...
Skoda voted most beautiful car of 2004

Revv
Old 21st December 2004, 14:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hey Revv, i think they are reffering to the older Octi (A4) here. The model that is still being sold in India.

If you notice, in the awards won by the new Octi, they clearly mention "NEW Octavia", for example they say "The new Škoda Octavia won a prestigious Golden Steering Wheel award..."

however they say "The Škoda Octavia has been declared the “Most Beautiful Automobile of the Year 2004"..." so I think that means its the A4 Octi. That would mke more sense I think!

Rt
Old 23rd December 2004, 19:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

The master of case-studies strikes again. Skoda has come a long way, I guess a lot of credit goes to VW. The Octavia has been one of my favourite cars in the country for a while know, and the launch of the RS doesn't make things better, when it comes my drooling for one. The new Octy looks very weird, way too rounded, I loved the sharp looks of the current Octy, but I guess as long as they do something about the rear back seat, I am not complaining, for what is already a fantastic package.
Old 22nd February 2005, 21:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

I personally love the Octavia. The build quality is so typical European and that TDi engine needs to be worshipped and this engine is the ONLY reason the Octavia succeded in India. You me and 500 of us team-bhpians will rave over the build quality, the suspension, the smooth power delivery of the Tdi, the bang of the RS and all that but ask any other Octavia owner about the build quality and he will look confused. When was the last time you heard a Octavia owner talk about his car's build quality or suspension? Let me tell you, if it wasn't for the TDi, Skoda would be sailing in the same boat as Opel or Fiat here today. Forget the Octy, how many people bought the Astra, corsa, vectra, Siena, Palio etc etc for their build quality? Advertising is fine and skoda has some really good advertisements but if it wasn't for the TDi, skoda would have had no future in India. Give an average Indian good mileage and he will forget all bout ride quality, after sales service, customer orientation etc etc. Build quality of course is something that Indians have no idea about yet.
Old 23rd February 2005, 09:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
. Give an average Indian good mileage and he will forget all bout ride quality, after sales service, customer orientation etc etc. Build quality of course is something that Indians have no idea about yet.

............and thats why an Indiac/ indigo sells !
Old 23rd February 2005, 09:54   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have to admit...Amit brings out an extremely valid point.

GTO
Old 23rd February 2005, 11:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

very good writeup buddy
love it
the octy sold in india rules and im waiting for the new A5 to be launched
i would put my money down on the 1.9 oct any day but with a 6footer in the family its a bit difficult but its ride quality and solidity is amazing.
we had rented an octy 1.9 and some lancer when me an my dad and some oh his friends and kids (my age) had one down to coorg from banglore..
it was an awesome drive and in comparision the octy feltway faster, solid, comfortable then the lancers and even handled better (we were staying at a TATA tea plantations bunglow and there was this little private lane leading up to the bunglow about 2 - 3 km which was pretty cool and we bribed all the drivers to race up to the bunglow and the octy took the hairpin tun the best)
Old 11th March 2005, 20:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Skoda actually had an advantage in India because most people didnt know what it was. Internationally they are struggling to get rid of the bad name they have got because of their previous unreliability and "taxi car" image. Skoda in India had no such problems and had a chance to start afresh.
Old 11th March 2005, 21:14   #26
BHPian

for me having a skoda to drive here would be a dream come true for me.

i was impressed by skoda even before its launch as when they did not even have a workshop of their own ( i think nummer eins in mumbai was the first one), they had already appointed a service engineer ( who had been picked up from a hyundai dealership) and sent him for a three month long training to germany ( i dont remember which country exactly) so that he could learn everything abt Octy. when a company can invest in good manpower and provide such good training even before selling a singel car , qualtiy speaks.

shubbhi

Last edited by manaa45 : 11th March 2005 at 21:16.
Old 12th March 2005, 10:22   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, during the initial days there was a Skoda service outlet powered by a......generator.

GTO
Old 12th March 2005, 10:57   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i was impressed by skoda even before its launch as when they did not even have a workshop of their own ( i think nummer eins in mumbai was the first one), they had already appointed a service engineer
Thats the normal practice for any company launching a new model. They always send their people for training before the vehicle is launched. They have to, there's no other way to do it. They surely can't wait for the cars to be sold and customers to come in with problems before they train someone!

That's reserved for the Tata R&D team
Old 12th March 2005, 11:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
That's reserved for the Tata R&D team
- i agree to that !!!

Stratos u there ?
Old 17th May 2005, 19:47   #30
BHPian

Rudra sir,
Isnt the skoda ad(where diffrenet ppl kissing ) shot in kereala.I saw kereala reg car in the ad and i belive the building is le meridien ,Cochin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks