Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 19:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
not sure....i filled in yday@Shel OMR. 50.48/- was the price i paid. Dont know abt PSU's bunks. is it 49.68 there?

Neverthless, its still worth it.
Are you sure about the price? I tanked up on 25-11-07 at Shell on brookefield main road and the price for Shell Super was 54.25 per litre!!!! How can there be so much of a difference?
Old 26th November 2007, 19:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Urban In Nature; Taking On Urban Characteristics: TATA Safari Dicor - A Bag Full of Woes

Does anyone still wonder why they need good fuel?

Or move to CNG - adulteration free, guaranteed
Old 26th November 2007, 20:03   #33
BANNED

Oh my gosh , was this due to faulty fuel? Or was it R & D of TATA with help of its customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Urban In Nature; Taking On Urban Characteristics: TATA Safari Dicor - A Bag Full of Woes

Old 26th November 2007, 20:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Are you sure about the price? I tanked up on 25-11-07 at Shell on brookefield main road and the price for Shell Super was 54.25 per litre!!!! How can there be so much of a difference?
Shell Normal is Rs 51.48. Not sure about the Super one.

Abhi
Old 26th November 2007, 20:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

The Tata safari issue quoted above is a poor quality of TATA rather than issue with fuel. If there was an issue with fuel then all vehicles using that fuel would have similar problem.
Old 26th November 2007, 20:24   #36
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Contrary to what rkg says, the companies are losing a lot for every liter of fuel they sell.
i have clearly mentioned loses are notional
govt is getting double the revenue due to increase in crude prices because it has not reduced the rate of taxes on crude, refined petrol/diesel. neither the state govt's reduced thier VAT/sales tax on the petroleum products. taxes make up more than 70% of the retail price of petroleum products in this country.
what iam saying is, if govt modifes the tax rates ( like floting rates) in such a way their rate goes down whenever crude prices go up and increase when crude reduces proprtionally. in such senario govt revenue will remain the same and retail prices can be kept at regionable level and oil companies do not lose.
but here govt is keeping the tax rates at the same % level and asking oil companies to sell at old rates.hence it is treated as loss by oil companies and increased revenues to govt from indirect taxes by govt.
but they can cry to public that there are loses.
as i have alredy posted earlier when retail price is 55 , actual cost to govt is 16. so taxes are Rs 39/-( at that time crude price was around 65$/barrel)
if you take same ratio now actual cost may be around 30-32 still way below retail price.
Old 26th November 2007, 22:18   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
govt is getting double the revenue due to increase in crude prices because it has not reduced the rate of taxes on crude
Why should govt tax purchase of crude ? It doesnt make sense to tax both purchase & sale, right ?

So why do you say that the loss is notional ?
If you consider the oil company and the govt as different entities, the oil companies are making losses. Higher the price of crude, more the company spends to buy crude. But they have to sell at the mandated price. So arent they making a loss ? And one needs to consider the oil companies as separate entity since not all oil companies are PSU's. That the Govt helps the PSU companies is a separate arrangement.
Old 27th November 2007, 10:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Yep, even I paid 54.25 for Shell Super 4 days back.

Before hike Shell Super was 53.45, it is almost Rs.2 more than Normal petrol, not sure if it is worth it?
Old 27th November 2007, 11:02   #39
BHPian

Shell super was Rs.49.90 in chennai before. Currently Rs.51.20.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:47   #40
BHPian

Seems like you people in Chennai are enjoying better pricing on Shell Super when compared to those here in Hyderabad and Bangalore though the difference is small it means a lot when you go for a tank full.
Old 1st December 2007, 22:23   #41
BHPian

Even i was shocked to see the price at 51.48 yesterday at Old Madras Road...but this being the first time iam filling from Shell...i felt what the heck...if they are able to provide a good quality fuel and better service..iam willing to pay the addl 80 paise..but iam yet to see the performance diff like others 1km..2km..etc...awaiting to see that performance !!!

Anyway folks..Blore pays thge highest price for fuel in this country...so it doesn't matter by 80 paise or so for a better quality product & service with Shell..wat say?
Old 2nd December 2007, 17:05   #42
BHPian

Our government is only shooting itself in the foot by not raising the fuel prices to keep up with the spiralling cost of crude. In the short term, you keep your voters happy, but soon a time will come when you can no longer bear the subsidy and have to pass on a huge hike to the customer. At that time, expect major riots and disturbances.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
Hello,
There is no price hike for Shell (atleast Shell Super) here in Hyderabad. Here it is Rs 50.95 for "Shell Super" its 93 Octane Petrol.

Last Fueled and Checked at MON 26/11/2007 16:11
Compared with SUN 25/11/2007 19:39

Never bothered about the price of Normal Unleaded Petrol as my bike enjoys Shell Super cheers: and Free Air from Shell
You are right, when I filled up yesterday, it was still 48.89 for ordinary 91 octane petrol
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:43   #44
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why should govt tax purchase of crude ? It doesnt make sense to tax both purchase & sale, right ?

So why do you say that the loss is notional ?
If you consider the oil company and the govt as different entities, the oil companies are making losses. Higher the price of crude, more the company spends to buy crude. But they have to sell at the mandated price. So arent they making a loss ? And one needs to consider the oil companies as separate entity since not all oil companies are PSU's. That the Govt helps the PSU companies is a separate arrangement.
Govt imposes various taxes on petroleum products.
govt does indeed tax both purchase and sale of petroleum products.
1. customs duty on imported crude + some other duties
2. central excise duty on refined product (Crude + customs)
3. states tax this with state sales tax ( on the price of 2 above)
petroleum products are not under VAT regime.this will reduce govt tax revenue. here tax evasion is zero unlike retail trade hence govt did not include it in VAT
so one ends up paying tax on tax
check parlament records where Mani shankar Iyer as petroleum minister stated that actual cost of petrol to govt( read IOCL, HPCL, even reliance) is Rs 16+ retail price at that time is Rs 55/- so about 40 rupees ia various taxes imposed by state and central govt.
even now murli deora is also arguing for rationalization of taxes on petrol
no oil company buys crude daily. they enter into agreements in advance for the supply. if crude is 100 $ today means most likely oil compnies pay it after three months or so. what they are paying right now will be what was the price two/three months ago.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Shell Normal is Rs 51.48. Not sure about the Super one.

Abhi
Super one costs 1.20 Rs more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks