Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2007, 16:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Because Palio does not need any help from all these people or agencies to prove Quality. The Car speaks itself....
because it doesn't sell to the minimum number of units required for the survey .....
Old 30th November 2007, 19:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
IQS covers only the first 90 days of ownership. Read JD Power to fully understand what IQS means. As many owners of highly rated IQS cars will testify, their cars expire as soon as the warranty expires.
IQS certainly needs to be taken with pinch of salt. But if a vehicle is exhibiting more problems in first 90 days, what is guarantee that it will give lesser problems after 90 days? Probability of it giving more problems even later is certainly high. So, IQS can't be discarded outright.

I am surprised to see Honda Civic so low in rating. But, even more surprised to see Esteem giving so many problems. Normally, manufacturers streamline their processes over period of time and you get more refined product with fewer defects. So it is surprising that new entrant Logan is rated much higher than old Esteem.
Old 1st December 2007, 06:31   #33
bkm
BHPian

GM image will not be affected by

A few GM bashers. are trying to find reasons to some how criticize GM . GM is slowly getting in to India and will become very accepted brand. With one lakh km warranty coverage and guaranty of maximum maintenance expense in 3 years , GM cars like spark , uva aveo will be seen more and more.
Old 1st December 2007, 12:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Swift turning out best in IQ is surprising to me too. The Swift's inconsistant build quaity issues are well known here. But I guess, most customers don't mind ratttles and maybe they didn't complian about it as much as they would if it was a transmission or engine related issue. Just read about this and forget it. I wouldn't take it seriously.

PS: I can already hear a faint rattle from the driver's side door panel in my SX4.
Old 1st December 2007, 12:40   #35
BANNED

Hey buddy, all the rattles in Swift are ensured by Maruti to happen after 90 days, so it can top the JD Power IQS ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The Swift turning out best in IQ is surprising to me too. The Swift's inconsistant build quaity issues are well known here. But I guess, most customers don't mind ratttles and maybe they didn't complian about it as much as they would if it was a transmission or engine related issue. Just read about this and forget it. I wouldn't take it seriously.

PS: I can already hear a faint rattle from the driver's side door panel in my SX4.
Old 2nd December 2007, 19:33   #36

Logan rocks!!

Just goes to show that Logan has been very good car for its price. Mahindra's have done a good job in assemblying it. Car is good to drive, low on maintenance and niggling problems, incabin NVH and also gives me 12 KMPL in city...
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
A few GM bashers. are trying to find reasons to some how criticize GM .
That is an opinion just as GM criticisers have an opinion. But I speak from personal experience of owning a GM car since Oct 2003 which has done only 37000 kms, had problems starting at around 10,000 km, suffered from inconsistent service, whose resale value is now nothing to write about. This is partly due to the GM brand, but also because GM has a habit of slashing prices every few months (which makes the unofficial discounts as official price cuts). When I bought it in Oct 2003, I also had the same opinion as the one quoted. It takes a car or two to find out. Perhaps things may improve or have improved in their new Chevy models (although service mechanics opinion is mixed).
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Normally French cars finish at the bottom of all quality survey's. But here in India, the Renault Logan finished at the top. Similarly, Suzuki finishes almost at the bottom in North America but over here it consistantly tops in it's segments. Questions are:

1. Did the Logan top it's segment because competiton is outdated?

2. Is there something different about expectations of Indian car buyers? Are our expectations lower then western car buyers? Or is it that the market has still not matured.

3. Did the Logan top here because cars in the entry mid-size segment don't have too many electronics which is normally the problem area for French cars?

I also get the feeling that Indians expect better quality from foreign car buyers. Hence, a rattling Swift gets away with a top rank while a rattling Getz, NHC, Innova or even a Palio/GP will get blasted for the same. Same goes for Tata.

How did the Indica fare? Many of us believe that the newer Indica's have better quality then the old ones and they don't break down as often as they used to but has the Indica made any improvements in it's rankings? While a lot of noise is made about how GM or Ford or Fiat sales are suffering because of inconsistant quality, poor service and expensive spares, Tata's Indica is a best seller despite all it's quality problems. Again, is it because it's a Indian product, it gets away with problems while the foreign companies don't because our expectations are different from both of them?
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Mr. amit has raised some very valid points. IQS or any other survey is just that, a survey of sample (which relies on users' opinion or expectations or history with a car). French cars do not have a great reputation for long term quality. Second, Indica quality may have improved and it is inevitable that all car manufacturers go up through a learning curve. Unfortunately, some manufacturers go down.

In my opinion, Indica is a best seller because it is so cheap to run, that users may be willing to compromise with perhaps more than expected non-service trips.

People trust Maruti a lot because it gives them cars that are cheap to run, and a service network that is accessible and reasonably competent. For that, people are more tolerant of Maruti. I have driven two Marutis for 8 years, and the problems in them were about average (no great quality but then they were cheap 800 and Zens).
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:43   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
People trust Maruti a lot because it gives them cars that are cheap to run, and a service network that is accessible and reasonably competent. For that, people are more tolerant of Maruti. I have driven two Marutis for 8 years, and the problems in them were about average (no great quality but then they were cheap 800 and Zens).
Did u forget the resale point? My friend had his 11 year old Zen accepted by Maruti in exchange for an Estilo and he was offerred 1.08 lakhs for it !!
No wonder he went for the ugly Estilo !
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
And why the hell was Palio missed out for this Quality Study?
I guess Palio is not a part of the Top 3 Premium Compact cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks