Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 17:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

The way these figures are gotten are simple.
They take random sampling of owners, and then make a list of problems.
Lets way a Getz owner says
1. Rattling in rear seat
2. Lighter socket broken
3. FE not good
So its 3 problems, if everyone has that its 300/100 vehicles
Now lets saw a indica guys says
1. Engine blew up
Thats one problem, and if more such problems happen, indica will score better
Old 29th November 2007, 17:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

IQS covers only the first 90 days of ownership. Read JD Power to fully understand what IQS means. As many owners of highly rated IQS cars will testify, their cars expire as soon as the warranty expires.

Personally, I have owned an Opel Corsa which had no problems (ie 0 problems) in the first 90 days, even 360 days. But thereafter, it is a different story.

Bottomline: Take these IQS with a pinch of salt. These are good for press releases by the manufacturers.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Optra & Corolla are very old models & selling low numbers. Civic is new & it sells more than double the other 2 put together. Obviously slightly higher number for Civic.
Is that really true that Civic sells more than 2 times than Optra and Corolla put together. Can you put some numbers here.

Also, if the car sells more (which Civic obviously does), what relation does it have to PP per 100 vehicles. Are you confusing problems per 100 vehicles with total problems.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The way these figures are gotten are simple.
They take random sampling of owners, and then make a list of problems.
Lets way a Getz owner says
1. Rattling in rear seat
2. Lighter socket broken
3. FE not good
So its 3 problems, if everyone has that its 300/100 vehicles
Now lets saw a indica guys says
1. Engine blew up
Thats one problem, and if more such problems happen, indica will score better
common, it will not be as simple as that. each problem i guess will at least have an weightage attached to it based on its severity.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Truth About J.D. Power’s IQS | The Truth About Cars

This link does give a different viewpoint on IQS. Also this link:

Quality Schmality | The Truth About Cars
Old 29th November 2007, 19:38   #21
BANNED

Optra averages 400. Corolla averages 500. But Civic averages 1500 - slightly less than double.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Is that really true that Civic sells more than 2 times than Optra and Corolla put together. Can you put some numbers here.
Old 29th November 2007, 21:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Bottomline: Take these IQS with a pinch of salt. These are good for press releases by the manufacturers.

Bull's Eye!!!

I never follow JD surveys...

Last edited by five46 : 29th November 2007 at 21:47. Reason: Mistake with Quote Contents
Old 29th November 2007, 22:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Fully agree!

But, I am sure Swift has more problems reported than Getz!
Why do you feel that Swift has more problems than Getz. Is it jsut hear-say or concrete facts.

I have a Swift and I bought it on the strenght that is was well regarded in the UK. might be useful to know facts if tere are any to round off my understandign on the quality of the Swift.
Old 29th November 2007, 22:16   #24
BHPian

Well! these r the results of the customer satisfaction.

And as it goes on the more quantity u produce the lesser will b the quality.

looking at the way Hyundai has been cranking up models the survey acts perfectly.

Looking at the GM cars i m feelin Happy. Go on GM.!!!
Old 29th November 2007, 23:03   #25
aks316

ya gm is going good.. i am a opel corsa owner and after more than 4 years i dont have any problem with the car and i am very satisfied with it.. it is nice to know that Aveo ranks no.1 with the honda city.. it proves aveo is as good as the rest..

Old 29th November 2007, 23:16   #26
bkm
BHPian

Go Sparky go!

Spark at no one . Santro must be very low down in the list(not even in first three). Go sparky go!
Old 30th November 2007, 09:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Optra averages 400. Corolla averages 500. But Civic averages 1500 - slightly less than double.
Now the more than 2 times has come down to 1.67 times. Actual figure for Oct 2007 is 1.47 times. Figure for Jan-Oct 2007 is
Optra: 4263
Corolla: 5664
Civic: 14958
Actual ratio: 1.5

The numbers prove that Civic does sell a lot more than Corolla in India at least, and is more than 2 times any of the two models. But perhaps, one should be less cavalier with the facts.

Another person said that his Corsa has run for 4 years and had no problems. That can be true. But I have been in touch with other Opel Corsa/Astra owners and more often than not, they were tired of frequent visits for repair.

I am not trying to criticise GM or its products or its buyers (I am also one of them), but perhaps GM would know best how many of their customers are repeat (upgrading within the GM range). GM cars and almost all cars are very good and problem free when new (which reflects in high IQS rankings), but what happens after 20-30K mileage and when the warranty expires. In GM's case, they have now extended to 1 lakh km which is the same as Toyota.

With the same warranty period, people do get peace of mind. But when 2 products offer the same warranty, there is no choice differentiator. With or without the same warranty period, people are always known to choose a product that has evidence (through owners feedback) of involving less non-service trips to the workshop. Can GM products in India guarantee us that.
Old 30th November 2007, 10:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The Truth About J.D. Power’s IQS | The Truth About Cars

This link does give a different viewpoint on IQS. Also this link:

Quality Schmality | The Truth About Cars
In the same site there is an article on the ten worst automobiles of 2007. It includes both H2 and H3. Aveo is there as #3. See the explanation below . Btw, the list is shared equally between GM and Chrysler.

Quote:
From its tinny-sounding doors to its penalty box interior, the Aveo screams cheap more loudly (and persistently) than an amphetamine-crazed parrot. Normally slow means frugal. Not here. So… what’s the point? Now that GM has proven they can’t build a decent small car in the U.S., perhaps they’re trying to demonstrate that they can’t build one in Korea either. Done.

Last edited by appuchan : 30th November 2007 at 10:15.
Old 30th November 2007, 15:26   #29

Go Logan!

SO THANKFUL TO JDPOWER! JUST TO PROVE THAT THE LOGAN IS NOT A CHEAP CAR NEITHER IS IT A BADLY BUILT! ITS ONLY INTELLIGENT DESIGNING AND ESSENTIAL COST CUTTING, WHICH DOESNT MAKE THE CAR A BAD PRODUCT IN ANY SENSE!!

Note from MOD: Do not use more than 2 smileys per post and do not post in all CAPS

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th November 2007 at 16:28.
saumil_b is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2007, 16:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
And why the hell was Palio missed out for this Quality Study?
Because Palio does not need any help from all these people or agencies to prove Quality. The Car speaks itself....

Most Viewed