Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 13:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

never in their life.....the gm cars are rebadged daewoo cars whose quality, fit & finish are aweful comparing to hondas & toyotas.
Old 11th December 2007, 19:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
never in their life.....the gm cars are rebadged daewoo cars whose quality, fit & finish are aweful comparing to hondas & toyotas.
Daewoo cars were not stopped due to bad quality. I feel Chevy has good build quality compared to the Japanese cars. Honda and Toyota are globally accepted cars and so they also have a good build quality. But if you take suzuki cars into picture, its build quality is not as good as Chevy. But *** for Chevy in India is not as good as Toyota and Honda.
Old 11th December 2007, 20:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5600 View Post
Daewoo cars were not stopped due to bad quality. I feel Chevy has good build quality compared to the Japanese cars. Honda and Toyota are globally accepted cars and so they also have a good build quality. But if you take suzuki cars into picture, its build quality is not as good as Chevy. But *** for Chevy in India is not as good as Toyota and Honda.
My personal experience with a Chevy product is against this. I am bringing my Aveo to rectify an issue in the front shocks/wheel, Poor chevy service guys can't even figure it out.
They replaced Gear bed, Engine bed, Both front shocks, some connecting rods (I don't remember) - Their final answer is "ONLY you are coming with such issues"!.

If anyone knows let me know what could be the problem: I am getting a strange, creaking noise when I tilt the steering at a slope to left fully, and when the front wheels meet any bumps, especially when the bumps are at the turning. I get intolerable noise, I hate it, I am irritated by the service and the people in GM!

They now say the car is perfect, and there is nothing more to replace.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:38   #64
BHPian

Bumping this thread after nearly 2.5 years of its beauty sleep.

Searched the forum to understand the A*S*S* of GM and the Cost of Ownership of Chevy products in India.

Reason - I am on the verge of finalizing an SUV and the choices I have are either Endy or Captiva (both AT).

Having owned 2 Fords in last 5+ years, I am familiar with what a Ford customer has to undergo (both good and bad) at the authorized workshops. I am also familiar with the product quality. However, I am unable to get a clear picture of a generalized chevy ownership experience.

Would appreciate if the chevy owners could assist with their inputs. Fellow members from Delhi/Gurgaon can share their experiences of GM dealerships in the city. This could help me decide where to buy from in case the dice rolls in favor of Captiva
Old 18th March 2010, 10:00   #65
BHPian

German or Japanese cars any day over American cars (except maybe a Shelby, who can resist muscle? )
Old 18th March 2010, 12:30   #66
BHPian

Having owned a chevy car for last 2 year, I can vouch for its quality, reliability and of-course the service. Guys believe me, gone are the days when chevy was new in India and customers really suffered a lot. Things have changed for sure. I have owned a Maruti-Suzuki, Ford and then Chevy. Go for Chevy!!!
Old 18th March 2010, 12:38   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Have owned a Aveo 1.4 for the past 3 years (with 20k km) with zero issues or breakdowns. Only non-standard change was front disc pads at 15k possibly because of my higher-than-usual speeds and numerous highway drives especially to Ooty/Coorg etc.

As far as I am concerned, there has been no negatives in my ownership experience.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:54   #68
BANNED

Chevy has come a long way. The thread was about the reliability and not the A.S.S. or resale. The Chevys in India are indeed reliable.
However Toyota is the benchmark for reliability.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 18th March 2010 at 12:59.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

I am using Chevy Spark for the last 7 months, and no problems faced till today.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
My personal experience with a Chevy product is against this. I am bringing my Aveo to rectify an issue in the front shocks/wheel, Poor chevy service guys can't even figure it out.
They replaced Gear bed, Engine bed, Both front shocks, some connecting rods (I don't remember) - Their final answer is "ONLY you are coming with such issues"!.

If anyone knows let me know what could be the problem: I am getting a strange, creaking noise when I tilt the steering at a slope to left fully, and when the front wheels meet any bumps, especially when the bumps are at the turning. I get intolerable noise, I hate it, I am irritated by the service and the people in GM!

They now say the car is perfect, and there is nothing more to replace.
You should appreciate their effort in atleat making an effort. You dont even get that with most authorised workshops.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:15   #71
BHPian

Thanks throttleking, itwasntme, Live To Jive and Latheesh for your inputs.

Surely, it does help me understand GM's servicing landscape better

However, inputs are still awaited from fellow members in Delhi/Gurgaon regarding GM's service experience.

Re comparo of American cars with German/Japanese cars - to each his own mate.. there are folks who can live with the German precision which tends to be precise so long as it works. The moment it goes kaput, you had it!!

After having driven and owned Fords for a substantial time, I think I am one happy customer who knows that Fords are solely built for the task that a car is expected to perform - to be driven - nothing more, nothing less
Old 18th March 2010, 18:34   #72
BHPian

I have owned two Chevy cars, Spark ( sold ) and Aveo ( current ), GM service standards are top notch in NCR.

I get my regular services done through REGENT in Okhla.

GM Cars are as reliable as any other good car in the market.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

In my last two years on the forums, I have shouted numerous times about how Toyota and Honda are treated like gods in India. They are overpriced and the company people arrogant at best. Toyota was the only car maker to lose sales last month (apart from Chrysler which more than made it up in corporate sales) in North America.

GM cars TODAY are not bad and do equally well in quality and service provided. And it's really sad when people buy rebadged Honda cars under the Acura name and pay a premium over it compared to better built Buicks.

But yes, The previous generation cars from American stables were heavy tin cans with technology fit for 90's. I also agree that Mazda cars and Subaru cars can still show stick to American cars when it comes to technology but it depends from model to model.

I would buy the more expensive Jazz over Aveo-UVA but I wouldn't touch a Civic in front of the Cruze or CR-C against the Captiva.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th March 2010 at 20:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks