Team-BHP - Are Chevrolet Cars In India As Reliable As Honda Or Toyota.. ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Are Chevrolet Cars In India As Reliable As Honda Or Toyota.. ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/32065-chevrolet-cars-india-reliable-honda-toyota.html)

hi..
GM has been launching new cars by the chevrolet name.. are chevrolets as reliable as honda or toyota.. ?

Most GM cars launched in India are re-badged Daweo cars. If they were as good as honda and toyota, daewo wound't have gone bankrupt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 643907)
Most GM cars launched in India are re-badged Daweo cars. If they were as good as honda and toyota, daewo wound't have gone bankrupt.

Firstly, Daewoo didn't go bankcrupt because of poor quality of it's products. As for reliablity of GM cars, these re-badged Daewoo cars do better in reliablity then genuine Chevrolets.

Japanese cars are more reliable than American cars. If you ask me, if want to choose between a Chevy and Corolla, I would vouch for corolla as the parts are more reliable and their A** is also customer friendly.

i dont understand 1 thing since we all know that gm is in a huge problem then why would they launch re badged daweoos instead of original chevrolets.. as per my knowledge there is no original chevrolet car in the line up.. they should get the best they have.. even with the best warranty and best discounts they are not able to sell that well.. n between i really like chevrolet aveo but its not doing good anywhere.. i know we indians like to play safe but thats because when someone can buy a honda or toyota at the same price as chevrolet or ford why would anyone go for a chevrolet or ford.. they need to give people geniune reason not to buy toyota or honda.. and that doesnt include giving discounts.. giving discounts doesnt make a product good or better..

Thats a horribly global question.

Why don't you read some Long term ownership reports and draw your own conclusions?

The responses till date just show the prejudice/previous experience/opinion of the above.

FWIW, check out the JD power study. Chevy sure didn't rank bad - was tops in three categories!! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 644149)
Japanese cars are more reliable than American cars. If you ask me, if want to choose between a Chevy and Corolla, I would vouch for corolla as the parts are more reliable and their A** is also customer friendly.

From security/safety point of view, I would select a Chevy any day over Corolla. This is if buying in USA. Even small accidents, you will end up scrapping the corolla. Camry and above ok, not the Corolla.

Also who would dare to say 30000/- miles no service required, just perform the regular oil change only.

there are many gm service centres were people are not happy at all.just imagine my friend had to pay 400 rs for additional time of his car in the parking lot after regular service.but kept that aside gm-rebadged daewoo cars are as good as honda or toyota.just imagine the no of daewoo cars plying even without the support of a proper A S S .seeing is believing.i had always felt the interior of optra to be better than city.
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 644195)
Thats a horribly global question.

Why don't you read some Long term ownership reports and draw your own conclusions?

The responses till date just show the prejudice/previous experience/opinion of the above.

FWIW, check out the JD power study. Chevy sure didn't rank bad - was tops in three categories!! :D

It's a clear enough question and answerable beyond mere guesswork and opinion. Many feel the JD Power study is bogus and skewed anyway. I can tell you after living for many years in the U.S. and seeing all kinds of statistics on this very question, and after talking to many owners....NO! GM (Chevrolet) does not have the quality of either Honda or Toyota. As a consequence over the last 35 years GM has slipped from having 70% of all automotive sales in the world to now only taking 32% of sales in North America, its home ground. The Japanese have out hustled GM for almost 2 generations now and GM still has not figured out what happened.

In India Chevrolet does have one of the better after sales service reputations and they produce decent vehicles. It just is not up to the standards of Toyota and Honda.

Ummm.. How many Chevrolet cars in India are actually American designed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak (Post 644239)
Ummm.. How many Chevrolet cars in India are actually American designed?

I have no idea. I expect very few. Tavera maybe? For the purposes of answering aks316's original question I do not think it matters that much whether GM (Chevrolet) is global or not. GM has been getting its corporate rear end kicked by Honda and Toyota for 35 years all over the world. If there are some exceptions to the quality competition in India I do not see them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 644246)
I have no idea. I expect very few

None- i guess.

Tavera is the isuzu panther.
Spark, Aveo, U-VA and Optra are korean (Deawoo)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban (Post 644215)
From security/safety point of view, I would select a Chevy any day over Corolla. This is if buying in USA. Even small accidents, you will end up scrapping the corolla. Camry and above ok, not the Corolla.

I'am talking about India. GM might have some safety features extra in their chevy, but vehicle reliability wise, I still prefer japanese cars than american cars.

I dont believe any car these days is vastly better or worse than another in reliability. Hi-tech/automated manufacturing processes have ensured that. Ultimately it boils down to the mindset of the customer really.

Another way to look at this point is ... re-sale value of the car.

If the car sells for a good value after using it for a while then that tells me what car is good car.

Honda and Toyota have very good re-sale value in my opinion compare to any other brand.

I got burnt once by buying a brand new Chevy S10 and nobody would buy it for half the price after just 3 months and keeping the car in like-new condition.

I have Honda Civic which I bought it for 15K USD almost 12 years ago. I can get almost 5K if I want to sell it Today but I won't because it is a great car and runs great and never had any problems.

Thanks.