Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 09:35   #76
BHPian

Checked out the Hawk in Chennai

I had checked out the Hawk in Cennai and came back least satisfied. Though it had a lot of goodies to seduce, it couldnt satisfy my basic need of space, comfort and ride. I am a 6"2' guy and when i sit in the drivers seat and close the door i feel caged up (I dont think i need those seat belts ). Also the interiors are not upto mark. They dont offer leather seats as an option. I fell it is atrociously priced at arount 10 lakhs.

On the other hand when i sit in a Safari I feel like a king. Even though the overall interior quality is still not great, but atleast you fell welcomed inside. It also has the looks and horse power to keep you smiling. For the same 10 lakhs I get leather interiors, ABS, space, comfort, safety, more power and road presence.
Old 11th December 2007, 09:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
And one more thing so called "cruise control". whats the use of cruise control with manual gearbox. its just like speed adjustment on steering wheel as seen on mahindra tractors which sets rpm of engine which comes handy while tilling fields but how come it can be of little use with manual gearbox when you have to brake and change gear after every km or so.
Cruise control is never ment to be used in stop-go traffic.
Heck in many cars you can not activate cruise control till you acheive certain speed (example: 40kmph for Accord V6)

What you are thinking of Cruise control for stop-go traffic is adaptive cruise control which is featured in new S-class.
Old 11th December 2007, 10:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

The BHP's mean nothing, you have to see it in tandem with the power-to-weight-ratio, torque, aerodynamics, transmission etc etc, it will be beyond us to discuss all those factors here, even the 0-60 time taken means nothing to an average end-user driving on indian roads, although its one of the factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulkapadia View Post
Guys, Well M&M surely has a 140 BHP version of the engine, only thing is it, its still under developement.
Old 11th December 2007, 12:41   #79
BHPian

Hmm... I wonder if they have different versions of the 2.2L engine?

Because back in July, the numbers quoted for the upcoming U.S. version, which also has a 2.2L I4, were 180 hp, 300 lb-ft (= 407 Nm). Transmissions are a 6-speed manual or 6-speed auto.

http://www.gv-usa.com/Press/Truck%20...2128992&page=1

Could this be a different engine, or is it (more likely) just a significantly tuned up version for the US?

They're quoting 28-35 mpg, which is around 12-15 kpl (and about double what American compact trucks get). Does the Scorpio really get in that range?

Also, 0-60 mph (100 kph) is somewhere around 12 sec, which is be acceptable for a pickup (but it'd still among the slowest passenger vehicles of any type in the US). The 2.6 CRDe does it about 16 sec, right?
Old 11th December 2007, 16:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

launched in Bangalore today - 9.57 lakh ex-showroom
Old 11th December 2007, 20:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed5579 View Post
I had checked out the Hawk in Cennai and came back least satisfied. Though it had a lot of goodies to seduce, it couldnt satisfy my basic need of space, comfort and ride. I am a 6"2' guy and when i sit in the drivers seat and close the door i feel caged up (I dont think i need those seat belts ). Also the interiors are not upto mark. They dont offer leather seats as an option. I fell it is atrociously priced at arount 10 lakhs.

On the other hand when i sit in a Safari I feel like a king. Even though the overall interior quality is still not great, but atleast you fell welcomed inside. It also has the looks and horse power to keep you smiling. For the same 10 lakhs I get leather interiors, ABS, space, comfort, safety, more power and road presence.
2 months back, I felt the same while test driving 2.6 slx. Being 6'2'' I found tilt steering has no use, since it was on my stomach.
I am suprised to know there is no change in the -ve factors in the new version. I am sure M&M well aware of these issues, I hope they also read team-bhp. What make them to not to change any of their previous faults?

I hope they have a big political market now, (Like the old Ambys had), and they can target them instead of people like us who are interested in improved products from them. If M&M has such a product strategy, then they can't complete with Innova with their Ingenio, they can only compete with Sumo and Trax. Sorry M&M!
Old 20th December 2007, 00:06   #82

Guys,

I was just browsing through the pictures of new Scorpio on the website, and noticed that they have placed the cruise controls on the right side of the steering wheel and audio controls on the left side...

This placement is exactly same to the one in my car, the only difference being that I am in US, so I drive with left hand, change my audio controls with left hand and shift gears with right. This is pretty intuitive since in city driving I can use audio controls and change gears at the same time. The cruise control is on my right hand since for long drives, on highways, I dont need to use my right hand to shift gears then.

But for driving in India, I think audio controls should be on right hand and cruise on the left. To me it would be utterly useless, to drive in the city traffic, and use the same hand to change gears and fm stations....

I saw this only in pictures of scorpio, so if anyone who has actually taken a test drive can comment more on the placement of these controls...
Old 20th December 2007, 10:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay_bb View Post
Guys,

I was just browsing through the pictures of new Scorpio on the website, and noticed that they have placed the cruise controls on the right side of the steering wheel and audio controls on the left side...

This placement is exactly same to the one in my car, the only difference being that I am in US, so I drive with left hand, change my audio controls with left hand and shift gears with right. This is pretty intuitive since in city driving I can use audio controls and change gears at the same time. The cruise control is on my right hand since for long drives, on highways, I dont need to use my right hand to shift gears then.

But for driving in India, I think audio controls should be on right hand and cruise on the left. To me it would be utterly useless, to drive in the city traffic, and use the same hand to change gears and fm stations....

I saw this only in pictures of scorpio, so if anyone who has actually taken a test drive can comment more on the placement of these controls...
M & M is looking to push for exports in the US in a big way
Old 20th December 2007, 11:00   #84
BHPian

Quote:
This is good actually. This will prevent you from changing gears and changing fm stations at the same time. Safer, you see.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
This is good actually. This will prevent you from changing gears and changing fm stations at the same time. Safer, you see.
Given that choice...we will definitely be changing FM stations rather than gears.

Old 20th December 2007, 14:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
But for driving in India, I think audio controls should be on right hand and cruise on the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
M & M is looking to push for exports in the US in a big way
Somehow I get the feeling, that the introduction of cruise control itself was mainly with a view on future exports to the US market. It is a feature needed more in the US/abroad than India.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:17   #87
BHPian

re: The Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2

Hey guys l have decided to buy a Scorpio VLX 4WD . Tyretronics is a good feature which shows tyre pressure & tyre temperature . Does it restrict me from changing to aftermarket alloys & tyres . Need help
Old 20th June 2011, 14:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey guys l have decided to buy a Scorpio VLX 4WD . Tyretronics is a good feature which shows tyre pressure & tyre temperature . Does it restrict me from changing to aftermarket alloys & tyres . Need help
Changing to non-OEM tires and alloys wont effect the TPMS. Get it done by some well-known vendor.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:46   #89
BHPian

I read some where in this forum that a new refreshed / face lift Scorpio is due.
Is this true?
Any news related this ?

Note :- I have decided to buy one before diwali. Model should be LX or SLE.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:53   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
I read some where in this forum that a new refreshed / face lift Scorpio is due.
Is this true?
Any news related this ?

Note :- I have decided to buy one before diwali. Model should be LX or SLE.
No refresh in the near future as the M&M is busy working on the other products. So likely until late 2012 or early 2013.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks