Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2007, 17:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

The equipment list is good, but i hope they dont cause problems.

Also the Safari has the same engine, 2179cc made in collaboration with AVL.
Old 1st December 2007, 19:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post

I read somewhere that Lotus fine tuned suspension specifically for 2.2, secondly engine is lighter than the 2.6 block so handling could be better.

However the gross weight remains the same as that of 2.6crde at 2510 and 2610 for 2wd and 4wd respectively... this is confusing.
Tifosi, the GVW is determined by the suspension and ladder frame which remain the same. With a lighter engine now, it means that you can carry a higher payload. Kerb weight goes down.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st December 2007 at 20:20.
Old 1st December 2007, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Similar engines but...where's the information??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
The equipment list is good, but i hope they dont cause problems.

Also the Safari has the same engine, 2179cc made in collaboration with AVL.
It appears they do have the same basic engine. It is curious that Mahindra rates Scorpio at 120bhp and 290nm torque and Tata rates Safari at 140bhp and 320nm torque.

I guess we will have to get more information by osmosis because the Mahindra web site is an amateurish disaster. I could not find any information on four wheel drive for example. You would think an international corporation of Mahindra's scale might have a decent web site. If you go to a Mahindra dealer they do not know their own products either. They have to call the company for every little thing. The parent company does not bother to tell them anything. Mahindra has the corporate business savvy of a slug.
Old 1st December 2007, 20:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Tifosi, the GVW is determined by the suspension and ladder frame which remain the same. With a lighter engine now, it means that you can carry a higher payload. Kerb weight goes down
mpower, thanks for the clarification. guys, i might get a chance to have a look at the truck tomorrow. If it happens, shall post my impressions.
Old 1st December 2007, 21:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is curious that Mahindra rates Scorpio at 120bhp and 290nm torque and Tata rates Safari at 140bhp and 320nm torque.
I think Mahindra have detuned it for FE, or i think they even know that the cars suspension cant handle that much power.
Old 1st December 2007, 21:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
...the cars suspension cant handle that much power.
The gearbox is more of the weak link when it comes to handling more powerful engines
Old 1st December 2007, 22:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Am I missing something here? Mahindra charging Rs.2 lakhs more than a Safari for 20 bhp less and compromised rear legroom.
Old 1st December 2007, 22:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Am I missing something here? Mahindra charging Rs.2 lakhs more than a Safari for 20 bhp less and compromised rear legroom.
Why do say so?

Ex-showroom (mumbai) price of 2.2 EX SAFARI is around 866000 which is 67k lesser than the scorpio vlx priced at 933000.

When you compare the feature set, alloy wheels, ABS and parking sensors are some notable ones available in scorpio.
Old 1st December 2007, 23:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Driver side smart window

Driver side smart window - what is the use of having it only in the driver side? Isn't it really needed at the passengers side windows, when drivers had the controls?
Old 1st December 2007, 23:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well the cheapest Safari 2.2 is 7.3 lakhs ex-factory Bangalore (LX?)compared to the cheapest Scorpio 2.2 at 9.3 lakh
Old 2nd December 2007, 09:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Well the cheapest Safari 2.2 is 7.3 lakhs ex-factory Bangalore (LX?)compared to the cheapest Scorpio 2.2 at 9.3 lakh
They are launching it only in one trim (Vlx) which i would say is in between EX and VX safari in terms of features. it should be just a matter of time before it is available in other variants too. Hence for any meaningful comparison of prices it should be done with EX and not with the base model LX.

if my memory serves me right, 2.6 crde was initially launched in top end sportz model before it was available in other variants.
Old 2nd December 2007, 09:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post

if my memory serves me right, 2.6 crde was initially launched in top end sportz model before it was available in other variants.
it wasnt a top end model. just a limited edition.
Old 2nd December 2007, 17:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Never mind the standard's list, its way too much to be paying for a Scorpio, which still has roof channels to dispense water! Sheesh!
Old 2nd December 2007, 19:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
My uncle is driving a 4 year old Scorpio (He prefers this over Prado/MB/Vectra) still. He says he likes it's presence and it's reliability for his kind of use (long distance) and engine is rock solid. Can we say the same thing for a similar Safari? Although there may be issues like rocking ride etc but the engine and the build quality is solid in MS when comparing with TS.

Last edited by sgmuser : 2nd December 2007 at 19:21.
Old 2nd December 2007, 20:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Driver side smart window - what is the use of having it only in the driver side? Isn't it really needed at the passengers side windows, when drivers had the controls?
Isn't it an easy way for an intruder to get his hands on you? He can just put his hands inside the car which would stop the windows and send it down while you'll be frantically trying to close it.

Besides, i'm worried about how people will use the cruise-control. Even without cruise-control, people don't like to slow down and use the steering wheel to swerve around instead of braking. Now with cruise-control they'll NEVER slow down and you'll get to see all sorts of circus.

Imagine, we're a country where we don't even know what DIPPERS are for.

Last edited by Torqy : 2nd December 2007 at 20:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks