Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2007, 20:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Isn't it an easy way for an intruder to get his hands on you? He can just put his hands inside the car which would stop the windows and send it down while you'll be frantically trying to close it.

Besides, i'm worried about how people will use the cruise-control. Even without cruise-control, people don't like to slow down and use the steering wheel to swerve around instead of braking. Now with cruise-control they'll NEVER slow down and you'll get to see all sorts of circus.

Imagine, we're a country where we don't even know what DIPPERS are for.

So true especailly about dippers.

Lets hope at close to 10lakh the buyers have a bit more nouse and know what cruise control is for.

The electric window thing should have been on all the windows. There have been a few cases of kids being killed (choked) by electric windows.
Old 2nd December 2007, 20:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Which engine is the 2.2 based on. The scorpio 2.6 engine was based on the international 2.6 IDI engine tht Mahindra puts in the CL500. I wonder if the 2.2 is based on the 2.2 XDP4 engine that came int he MM540s or the 2.0 liter Tata diesel which is also a peugot design albeit coped not licensed.
Old 2nd December 2007, 22:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Safe to assume there is no diff locks.
Nope. I don't think ANY SUV produced in india has lockable diffs; although the 2.8 Pajero has a lockable centre diff.

The primary reason that Mahindra quotes for "de-tuning" the engine isn't justifiable. When Tata can re-engineer the 5-speed G76 for handling the additional torque, why can't mahindra? Skimping on costs?? And what's up with the price hike? Almost a lac...compare that to the 40-50K hike from Tata...
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

WEll, at least on paper, this engine seems to be below expectations- the increase is only 5 bhp and 10NM from teh earlier CRDE engine, while the cost goes up by a lakh! sure, tehr eare additional features, but except for ABS, none of these features go in any way to address the scorpios existing shortcomings....seems like MnM is tying to sweep the shorcomings of teh scorp under the carpet by loading it with features. but while we are on features, still no electric ORVMs and no AirBags!

need to drive one to see what are the improvements in the engine, althoug, I must say that the present CRDE 2.6 is a brilliant engine in its own right-powerplant was never a problem with the Scorpio, it is the other stuff that is a cause of concern....

so fo rnow, at least in the brochure bragging rihgts, TATA has stolen a march!
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Equipment list looks impressive on the top of the line model.

I think IMHO that M&M is trying to improve their customer profile by giving all these added features. At least in N.India a majority of the Scorpio's sales are given by rural / political people who hardly know their vehicles and all they know is Scorpio & safari.

A majority of the Urban people - Working class & Business class would prefer buying a innova rather than scorpio ( although both are different vehicles ).

I feel M&M is going in the right direction by keeping the older variants in production and also offering the new hawk at a higher price.

Waiting for a TD report now.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
or the 2.0 liter Tata diesel which is also a peugot design albeit coped not licensed.
Can you substantiate this beyond the Wikipedia entries?
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:51   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Nope. I don't think ANY SUV produced in india has lockable diffs; although the 2.8 Pajero has a lockable centre diff.
Atleast they could have come with a limited slip differential. Its not as good as lockable, but still quite good. Safari has that.
A 4WD without limited slip will have little advantage of 2WD
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Isn't it an easy way for an intruder to get his hands on you? He can just put his hands inside the car which would stop the windows and send it down while you'll be frantically trying to close it.
That's an interesting and very valid point. If this was supposed to be a safety feature, it should have been provided on the rear 2 windows, where there is more likelihood of children getting their hands caught in the power windows. At the driver window, it is more of a safety hazard than a feature.

And what's with the press release. It's so loaded with cliche-d jargon, that it makes me wonder ....

Quote:
the mHawk engine produces 120 bhp and a flat torque of 290 Nm. Advanced Turbochargers feed concentrated gusts of wind into a Variable Geometry Turbine, a simple yet cunning device that partially closes to trap the air inside at high pressures.
First time I've heard a VGT being described as "cunning".

(ok I know, I'm nit-picking )
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
My uncle is driving a 4 year old Scorpio (He prefers this over Prado/MB/Vectra) still. He says he likes it's presence and it's reliability for his kind of use (long distance) and engine is rock solid. Can we say the same thing for a similar Safari? Although there may be issues like rocking ride etc but the engine and the build quality is solid in MS when comparing with TS.
Yeah we might not be able to say the same for a safari of the same era but for the current era and the 2.2VTT DICOR say all you can man, it smashes the competition (140ps- SUPER POWER, Solid Build, SUPER FE) not to mention without the "rocking ride"

Cheers!
Old 3rd December 2007, 13:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Is the paint is like that or its just for the website ...... i can see grey boxes on exterior paint :-/
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:15   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
At least they could have come with a limited slip differential. Its not as good as lockable, but still quite good.
, especially since this car is likely to be used more off-road than on highways.. and without a LSD or a lockable, one may quickly get in trouble.. At least it is the case here in France where the marketing target of this car is clearly not the urbans who prefer the japanese or coreans SUV's.
The LSD exists on the pick-up and not on the SUV.. therefore, the technology is not a problem. It is just a marketing mistake.

<teaser on>Attn: Veyron1.. I live close to Molsheim, where VW build the Veyron.. And I sometimes see some on the nearby highways.. Impressive!!! <teaser off>
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

hey has anyone driven it??? has there been an actual change in the suspension of it?
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Why do say so?

Ex-showroom (mumbai) price of 2.2 EX SAFARI is around 866000 which is 67k lesser than the scorpio vlx priced at 933000.

When you compare the feature set, alloy wheels, ABS and parking sensors are some notable ones available in scorpio.
Right the new scorpio has some more features, but i doubt their usability. (except for ABS and parking sensors). which should not cost more than 25 K. Also you would definitely want an aftermarket alloys which have a superior quality and looks.

Compare this with more practical features in Safari

Electrical Rear Glass Demister
Roof Mounted Rear A/C
Electrically adjustable side Rearview mirrors
Key less Entry with # Parking lot car-locator
Follow me Home

I am not saying the new Scorpio is a bad car, but its overpriced..
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Compare this with more practical features in Safari

Electrical Rear Glass Demister
Roof Mounted Rear A/C
Electrically adjustable side Rearview mirrors
Key less Entry with # Parking lot car-locator
Follow me Home

I am not saying the new Scorpio is a bad car, but its overpriced..
You said it right.

Electrically adjustable ORVMs were the LEAST they could do. Shows where SAFETY lies in their priority.

After paying 11 lakhs, you stop the car, get out / slide to the passenger seat, adjust the left side ORVM, get back to driver's seat, get out / slide to the passenger seat AGAIN to re-adjust, get back to driver's seat.......and finally give up, FOLD THE MIRROR and continue driving.

I already do that (except for folding the mirror) with my 6 lakh car.
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Some of the features available in the new Scorp can be fitted in the after market (steering mounted controls, parking sensors)

Regarding others like rain-sensing wipers, auto headlamps and cruise control.....heck it shouldn't take TATA more than a couple of months to incorporate it into the Safari. Suppliers have this stuff ready to ship for a nominal increase in price. Where is the Scorpio going to hide then?

Last edited by Mpower : 4th December 2007 at 02:36.

Most Viewed