Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 19:26   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post

While I'm a big fan of automatics, my parents don't want to risk going for over-sophistication (read, DSG automatics), while the conventional automatic (torque converter) would compromise mileage and that is again not an option. They are ready for AMT though, but sadly, it is not available in this segment and City CVT is out of budget.
The city sv CVT will be well within your budget. Also the city vx manual I guess will be just around your budget.

If not the city, then I think the i20 will be the perfect choice.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 19:54   #62
BHPian

Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Honda city is a good option. Practical, spacious, ample features, engine refinement, Honda A.S.S - tons of positives for the City.

Ciaz is another option and honestly between the City and Ciaz, I think it becomes a bit personal. Someone would choose one over another because of certain features/aspects which they rate higher while buying a car. Ciaz gives you Maruti's reliability and A.S.S, so this part is another crucial aspect considering you want low maintenance.

Avoid the i20 Petrol. Engine is a big let down. I won't say anything more regarding it.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 21:54   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The city sv CVT will be well within your budget. Also the city vx manual I guess will be just around your budget.

If not the city, then I think the i20 will be the perfect choice.
The City SV CVT is 11.4 lakhs OTR Kochi. But this would increase if the purchase is being made from Bangalore, which again puts it out of budget.

Except Saket77, everyone else has advised to purchase the car from Bangalore.

Can any BHPian clarify my doubt if it's safe to run a KL registered car in Bangalore using the "govt employee on transfer" excuse?

No point in discussing about "What Car?" Without finalising the place of purchase, as the pricing varies significantly in both the cities in this case.
Old 16th April 2015, 22:53   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The City SV CVT is 11.4 lakhs OTR Kochi. But this would increase if the purchase is being made from Bangalore, which again puts it out of budget.

Can any BHPian clarify my doubt if it's safe to run a KL registered car in Bangalore using the "govt employee on transfer" excuse?

No point in discussing about "What Car?" Without finalising the place of purchase, as the pricing varies significantly in both the cities in this case.
Are you sure about the sv CVT price? Whitefield Honda website lists the on road Bangalore price as 11.57 on road. Could be an old price maybe.

On the running in Bangalore with kl regn. As per the current rule, any vehicle staying more than 1 month should pay the KA road tax. There are a lot of drives happening to catch out of state registered vehicles. So with a KL reg car you will always need to worry about getting stopped. You may be able to get away with a 'govt employee on transfer', whether it will work all the time is a question. And it will be a hassle to explain it each time.

This is based on the current situation in Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 23:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think 90% here would have experience with paying short term tax for government employees, including myself. Most comments seem to indicate the huge double taxation and hence overlooking the fact that you wouldn't have to pay the life time tax in KA. Question here as I see is whether the cops stopping you is aware of this govt excuse. Without paying tax, you will not be able to get away. However, the senior officials in the RTO offices should be aware of the rules and hence you should be able to pay the short term tax. Once you have a legal tax receipt and identify as a Central Government employee working in Bangalore on a transferable job, I don't think any ordinary constable or SI would try to harass a senior ranked central government employee where the risk of a complaint directly to IPS officers is very likely.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 02:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

I think driving an out of state registration car in KA or KL is a pain with current rules. Since you know your parents will return to Kochi in 5 years, have you considered a buying a used car from KA for their use in KA? Use it for 5 years, sell it off when your parents return to Kochi and buy a new one then.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hello govindremesh

I lived in Bangalore for a few years and would whole-heartedly recommend getting a new car from KA. Rules are rules - but you cannot reason with RTO personnel in Bangalore. And I am sure you don't want your parents to be harassed every time they step out on the street with a KL registered car (which will be the case, considering current scenario). Even if he is eligible for LTT exemption, don't you think it is a bit too much for him to explain and provide evidence every time he is stopped?

Work overtime, pay the extra 1L, get a car in KA. 5 years is a long time away. With any luck, KA RTO would have started processing refunds also by then, and after depreciation, the tax you would have to pay in KL won't be that much.

I know you have a really good budget, but considering that your father will be the primary user of the car, and that too in crowded city like Bangalore (the traffic is exploding right now, and is not going to get any better in the near future), why not go for a smaller, trouble-free hatchback like a Celerio AMT or AltoK10 AMT? Even the Brio AT should be a good choice. Even I tend to use up all the budget that I have, but just looking at your situation from an outsider's point-of-view.

Unless your parents live in one of the more spacious residential layouts in Bangalore, parking a sedan is going to be a big pain.

Or why not just go for the new Nano AMT (if you can wait a bit for the launch) and just sell it off at the end of 5 years, considering your initial expense is low? I used the Nano as a second car in Bangalore for 5 years, and save for the lack of power-steering (now rectified in the Twist), it was more like an Activa on 4 wheels, and that too with brilliant air-conditioning. My 2 paise.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Rules are rules - but you cannot reason with RTO personnel in Bangalore. And I am sure you don't want your parents to be harassed every time they step out on the street with a KL registered car (which will be the case, considering current scenario). Even if he is eligible for LTT exemption, don't you think it is a bit too much for him to explain and provide evidence every time he is stopped?
Exemption for life tax comes with a provision and requirement to pay quarterly or annual tax. This means his father would be having a KA tax receipt with him. If the vehicle owner presents a valid KA tax receipt for the car, what is the issue?

If the inspector still harass his father which I doubt might happen, a complaint to higher officials could land that inspector in suspension. A law enforcement official can never claim ignorance of the prevailing law.
Old 17th April 2015, 09:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Exemption for life tax comes with a provision and requirement to pay quarterly or annual tax. This means his father would be having a KA tax receipt with him. If the vehicle owner presents a valid KA tax receipt for the car, what is the issue?
My point was that in spite of having paid the tax in KA, and having a receipt, his car will still be flagged down every time it goes out the main gate since it will continue to sport a KL registration number. I think it is an unnecessary hassle one should put their parents into, for saving 1L rupees.

That's just me. I may be wrong.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point was that in spite of having paid the tax in KA, and having a receipt, his car will still be flagged down every time it goes out the main gate since it will continue to sport a KL registration number. I think it is an unnecessary hassle one should put their parents into, for saving 1L rupees.

That's just me. I may be wrong.
I've driven my KL registration Zen and Swift in Hyderabad after paying the life tax and I was stopped a few times initially, but after that, I was not stopped in my regular route. There are only a handful of inspectors associated with specific spots. So once all of them stop you once or twice and knows that you have paid the tax, they rarely bother to flag you down and waste their time. If you go on a different route, you could get flagged down, but that would be a one-off thing.

Also, while paying the tax for my dad's Swift recently, the RTA inspector suggested sticking a laminated copy of the tax receipt on the front windscreen so that they can see it and let you go without flagging you down.

I'm not sure about Bangalore, but at least with Hyderabad cops who are equally focused on Life Tax, it is not an issue if you have a tax receipt.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore, would it be really easy to get a refund? Additionally, City/Ciaz OTR price is costlier by about 1 lakh in Bangalore than in Cochin.
Option 1: Check with the dad's office whether they'll bear the tax amount as part of relocation compensation, then probably you can bring in your KL vehicle( assuming that you'll keep this car for at least 10 yrs since you kept alto in pristine condition for 14 yrs)

Option 2: If you don't have a plan to keep this car for a long time, buy in KA

Option 3: Why bring your car here if you dad would get an office car ? chauffeur driven is the best way to commute in bangalore traffic.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 11:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:

If the inspector still harass his father which I doubt might happen, a complaint to higher officials could land that inspector in suspension. A law enforcement official can never claim ignorance of the prevailing law.
Quote:
I've driven my KL registration Zen and Swift in Hyderabad after paying the life tax and I was stopped a few times initially, but after that, I was not stopped in my regular route. There are only a handful of inspectors associated with specific spots. So once all of them stop you once or twice and knows that you have paid the tax, they rarely bother to flag you down and waste their time. If you go on a different route, you could get flagged down, but that would be a one-off thing.

Also, while paying the tax for my dad's Swift recently, the RTA inspector suggested sticking a laminated copy of the tax receipt on the front windscreen so that they can see it and let you go without flagging you down.

I'm not sure about Bangalore, but at least with Hyderabad cops who are equally focused on Life Tax, it is not an issue if you have a tax receipt.

I second this statement. We paid the lifetime tax in Mumbai for our Alto without changing the regn (then, it was a Gujarat registered car).
We were only flagged down 3 times in our stint of 6 years, and were let off in 2 minutes when we produced the road tax receipt. While dad had an office car then, my mother used the car daily to commute to her school. One police constable even appreciated me for respecting the law and paying up the tax

Quote:
Hello govindremesh

I lived in Bangalore for a few years and would whole-heartedly recommend getting a new car from KA. Rules are rules - but you cannot reason with RTO personnel in Bangalore. And I am sure you don't want your parents to be harassed every time they step out on the street with a KL registered car (which will be the case, considering current scenario). Even if he is eligible for LTT exemption, don't you think it is a bit too much for him to explain and provide evidence every time he is stopped?

Work overtime, pay the extra 1L, get a car in KA. 5 years is a long time away. With any luck, KA RTO would have started processing refunds also by then, and after depreciation, the tax you would have to pay in KL won't be that much.

I know you have a really good budget, but considering that your father will be the primary user of the car, and that too in crowded city like Bangalore (the traffic is exploding right now, and is not going to get any better in the near future), why not go for a smaller, trouble-free hatchback like a Celerio AMT or AltoK10 AMT? Even the Brio AT should be a good choice. Even I tend to use up all the budget that I have, but just looking at your situation from an outsider's point-of-view.

Unless your parents live in one of the more spacious residential layouts in Bangalore, parking a sedan is going to be a big pain.
Parking should not be an issue. I did recommend Celerio AMT to my parents, but they and my brother almost shot me down. Nothing less than a i20 Asta.

Off topic: I don't need to work overtime for that. It's my dad's car and he will be paying up. I currently own a Honda Trigger and am happy with it ! (wish I could use more emoticons, mods!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think driving an out of state registration car in KA or KL is a pain with current rules. Since you know your parents will return to Kochi in 5 years, have you considered a buying a used car from KA for their use in KA? Use it for 5 years, sell it off when your parents return to Kochi and buy a new one then.
Good suggestion. We'll consider this one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Option 1: Check with the dad's office whether they'll bear the tax amount as part of relocation compensation, then probably you can bring in your KL vehicle( assuming that you'll keep this car for at least 10 yrs since you kept alto in pristine condition for 14 yrs)

Option 2: If you don't have a plan to keep this car for a long time, buy in KA

Option 3: Why bring your car here if you dad would get an office car ? chauffeur driven is the best way to commute in bangalore traffic.
1. In usual case, dad's company does reimburse the road tax, but we need to declare the car in the company's SAP system. Since we have not purchased the car till now, I wonder if the system will take in the car details and give the transfer allowance. We're checking on that.

2. We kept the Alto for 14 years, this car is going to stay as long. My parents are not car crazy.

3. Dad's department has changed, so we're unsure if a company car would be provided. Our existing Alto is 14 years old, so would be an headache to re-register and maintain if some law is implemented like the one implemented recently in Delhi.
Old 17th April 2015, 11:59   #73
BHPian

With the above said reasons, like someone pointed out go for a used car for the stay in KA or a small new car which doesn't cost you much. For daily commute I always prefer a hatchback in Bangalore and your parents can relax and enjoy a sedan once they go back to KL.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 12:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Are you sure about the sv CVT price? Whitefield Honda website lists the on road Bangalore price as 11.57 on road. Could be an old price maybe.
I checked on this. Called up whitefield Honda. Their quotes:

V MT Petrol- 11.65 lakhs OTR
SV CVT- 12.13 Lakhs OTR

In comparison, prices in Kochi:

V MT Petrol- 10.7 lakhs OTR
SV CVT- 11.4 Lakhs OTR. - This is a miscalculation by the dealer for road tax and the actual price works out to be 11.1 lakhs only.

All prices with extended warranty. The difference is 1 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
With the above said reasons, like someone pointed out go for a used car for the stay in KA or a small new car which doesn't cost you much. For daily commute I always prefer a hatchback in Bangalore and your parents can relax and enjoy a sedan once they go back to KL.
Yes, will strongly convince them for a new hatch. Thanks!
Old 21st April 2015, 13:45   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It is not an excuse. It is a rule.

I thought this information will be helpful for you because due to the difference in road tax rates of both states, that amount can work out to be very high.

Also, just came across this news dated 06/01/2012.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11382721.cms

According to this news, if you bring your KL registered car to KA, you will need to pay an annual tax, which is quite nominal in comparison to the entire LTT. If you buy the car from KA, of course you will need to pay the entire LTT. The point is there is no exemption for a CG employee for road tax - just that they have the cushion of not paying that over and over again if transferred to other states. So, just enquire from the Bangalore RTO about the annual tax thing and you should be okay if you pay that with a proof of being a CG employee.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks