Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 14:17   #76
BHPian

Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

There is no need to re-register your old car in a new state, neither do you have to pay LTT again in Karnataka - provided you are a PSU /Central Government / Public Sector Bank / Armed Forces Employee on transfer. As saket77 says, its a rule and not an excuse. All you have to do is remit road tax quarterly. Do not be bothered by all the brouhaha over the other threads. About the new car, ensure the purchase is made in the other state before your father takes charge in KA, to be safe.

I was under the impression that MH has a similar policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
According to this news, if you bring your KL registered car to KA, you will need to pay an annual tax, which is quite nominal in comparison to the entire LTT.
Effective March 2014, Annual Road Tax has been replaced by a Quarterly Tax of Rs. 500.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 21:22   #77
BHPian

Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It is not an excuse. It is a rule.
According to this news, if you bring your KL registered car to KA, you will need to pay an annual tax, which is quite nominal in comparison to the entire LTT. If you buy the car from KA, of course you will need to pay the entire LTT. The point is there is no exemption for a CG employee for road tax - just that they have the cushion of not paying that over and over again if transferred to other states. So, just enquire from the Bangalore RTO about the annual tax thing and you should be okay if you pay that with a proof of being a CG employee.

Regards,
Saket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
There is no need to re-register your old car in a new state, neither do you have to pay LTT again in Karnataka - provided you are a PSU /Central Government / Public Sector Bank / Armed Forces Employee on transfer. As saket77 says, its a rule and not an excuse. All you have to do is remit road tax quarterly. Do not be bothered by all the brouhaha over the other threads. About the new car, ensure the purchase is made in the other state before your father takes charge in KA, to be safe.

I was under the impression that MH has a similar policy.

Effective March 2014, Annual Road Tax has been replaced by a Quarterly Tax of Rs. 500.

Thank you Saket and Arkin for clearing up my doubt! My dad is going to join on 24th of this month. Will ask him to enquire at the nearest RTO. We'll be shifting by mid may, so enough time to buy a new car.

About the car itself, it's gonna be sedan. Honda City V- MT-ivtec. But could change based on the distance from our new home and office. Will update when the purchase is executed.

Thanks everyone for their respective inputs!
Old 24th July 2015, 21:31   #78
BHPian

Re: Buying in Cochin and using in Bangalore

Hi All

Sorry for the long delay in update. I'm happy to announce that we brought a Honda City V petrol from Cochin in May (managed to get it delivered in 2 weeks instead of the 3 month waiting period by threatening to take Ciaz instead ) and registered it before dad took charge in Bangalore.

We moved to Bangalore in last week of June.

At Bangalore RTO (Yeshwantpur) I went through the list of organisations eligible to pay annual tax and dad's company was there in the list. Govt. Organisations and PSUs are a part of the list.

Got a letter from his HR on company letterhead saying that he is a bonafide employee his job is transferrable and he may be allowed to pay annual tax.

At RTO, went to the auditor who crosschecked the letter with the vehicle documents, office provided letter and attested the form 14 by writing "allowed to pay annual tax".

Paid an year's tax = 2000 + 220 cess =Rs 2,220/- only. Process was hassel free.

To put things in perspective, LTT for a new Honda City is ~Rs. 1,35,000 . No, I've NOT added an extra zero

It was interesting to note that NONE of the RTO agents were aware of such a rule or willing to accept my statement.

But people are aware, I saw an Army officer opt the same route for paying annual tax.

Plus, the people at Yeshwantpur RTO were really cooperative despite the fact that I did not know Kannada. A big surprise for me that things got over in a single shot in a state government office!

What happens next year is another question, but we would be transferred by then, I suppose.

Thanks to every member on this forum who gave their valuable input.

Last edited by govindremesh : 24th July 2015 at 21:34. Reason: Adding total amount for annual tax.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks