Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Buying in Cochin and using in Bangalore

Guys,
Im planning to book Verna CRDI with ABS by end of December and take the delivery in Jan 2nd week. Now my doubts are:

1) I can see a huge difference in Road tax between Cochin and Bangalore( approx 45,000 vs 1,00,000). So I can save 55,000 by registering it in Cochin, but will it be an issue for me to use it in Bangalore?

2) Is it possible for me to buy the vehicle in Cochin and register it in Bangalore as I will be using it in Bangalore?

Hope there will be many experienced here who can help me out buy giving valuable suggestions

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 3rd December 2007 at 19:06.
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:06   #2
BANNED

Not a very good idea.
As far as I know, Bangalore is not very friendly to outside Karnataka registered cars (especially, the cops).
Old 4th December 2007, 06:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I agree with speedzak. You will constantly get bothered by cops. Not worth the hazzle.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
1) I can see a huge difference in Road tax between Cochin and Bangalore( approx 45,000 vs 1,00,000). So I can save 55,000 by registering it in Cochin, but will it be an issue for me to use it in Bangalore?
Obviously you are not the first guy to think about it, so RTO/cops keep a sharp lookout for resident out-of-state vehicles. Unless you can show proof that you just arrived, they will harrass you a lot.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

bloody cops in bangy. if they see a KL plate they will chase you and stop you.

OT: we always used to carry petrol bills from kerala, we got the book, and filled it will whatever dates we liked to show the cops that we just arrived.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here is my experience, I have my car registered in Trivandum and am using it for the past one year in Bangalore, before that I used to have my Trivandrum registered Bike for use in Bangalore , Till date i have not been stopped by the bangy cops on this account or for that matter any account . Its not that i have been running from the cops always.

I travel to TVM atleast once n a quarter in my car and during these trips i ensure that i keep all the toll receipts and fuel bill from kerala , to prove that i have entered KA state recently . I have never been forced to show these bills as i have never been flagged down. I hear that this strategy works well unless you get noticed consistently everyday by a cop on your daily route to office or something like that.

Again my pattern of car usage is highly centered around the ring road and very rarely within core city areas like MG road. That could also be a reason

Quote:
1) I can see a huge difference in Road tax between Cochin and Bangalore( approx 45,000 vs 1,00,000). So I can save 55,000 by registering it in Cochin, but will it be an issue for me to use it in Bangalore? .
Legally yes , but as in any law there are enough loop holes to comfortably get around.

Quote:
2) Is it possible for me to buy the vehicle in Cochin and register it in Bangalore as I will be using it in Bangalore?
Not sure about this possibility, but you then take the risk of using a uninsured vehicle to commute to Bangalore, or get it registered in kerala and then pay up road tax in Bangalore ( but you will lose the price advantage). I made a bargain of over 60K when i brought my Verna CRDI from TVM last December.

Last edited by hellstar : 4th December 2007 at 08:00.
Old 4th December 2007, 08:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I plan to be in Bangalore for a couple of months and I was told that you could pay the tax temporarily for a few months. I am not sure if it is possible. My OHC has KL plates.
Old 4th December 2007, 08:23   #8
BHPian

If you buying from cochin take temporary registration.After that you can register your car in bangy and pay the tax.But there is no advantage in that.Legally if you want to run your car in banglore you have to pay banglore road tax.You better buy your car from bangy.
Old 4th December 2007, 09:10   #9
BHPian

Suggested to buy in KA. Should the RTO flag you down in Bangalore (The probability is high if you drive around the BDA Complexes- you may be lucky not to get caught also!) you will end up paying the road tax in KA. So you pay Rs.45K in KL + 100K in KA. You can retain the KL registration for a year legally, after which you are expected to change to KA registration Also once you change the registarion you can get the road tax from from KL reimbursed preportionately, unfortunateley the redtape may discourage you to do so. I drove a KL reg dad's car in Bangalore for 3 yrs and did not pay any road tax, only had to bribe the cops a couple times. But i got pulled up for jumping a signal and parking in the No parking zone.
Old 4th December 2007, 09:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to be in Bangalore for more than 2 years i suggest you to go for a KA car.

It's not just cops that matters but there is a lot of difference in the attitude of the people (traffic) towards you if you drive a state or a non state vehicle.

As Zak said, Blore is not very friendly towards out of state vehicles.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

The others have already mentioned the attitude towards non-local cars here in Bangalore, so just adding my 2 cents. Riding an AP registered bike here in Bangalore has made it a favourite with the cops in the areas through which i commute. I finally had to pay the road tax here and since then life has been slightly better. However, i am still pulled up and its only after i show all the docs that i am reluctantly allowed to go. If road tax is paid the insurance docs and PUC better be in order.

With a KL registered bike, have the font of the licence plate resemble the font which is common on KA bikes and you should be relatively safe.

However, all this was for a non-local bike in KA. My relatives have been driving around their KL and AP registered cars here in Bangalore and they have been lucky so far. From what i have seen they dont harass 4 wheelers so much.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Better buy in KA.

After 1 year from road tax receipt they will start harassing you for change of registration. Moreso for bikes.

I was stopped by the same RTO guy on my way to office for my car a couple of times (he also used the same route, damn) but now he recognises my face and a slight wave of hand gets him going, although had to pay up once, INR 100 under the table and we still bump into each other once a while.

btw, a legal challan for driving an out of state vehicle in KA is also INR 100 only, thats for the traffic cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
However, i am still pulled up and its only after i show all the docs that i am reluctantly allowed to go. If road tax is paid the insurance docs and PUC better be in order.

With a KL registered bike, have the font of the licence plate resemble the font which is common on KA bikes and you should be relatively safe.

However, all this was for a non-local bike in KA. My relatives have been driving around their KL and AP registered cars here in Bangalore and they have been lucky so far. From what i have seen they dont harass 4 wheelers so much.
Old 4th December 2007, 16:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Better buy in KA.

btw, a legal challan for driving an out of state vehicle in KA is also INR 100 only, thats for the traffic cops.
Where can I get a legal challan from? RTO office?
Old 4th December 2007, 16:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Where can I get a legal challan from? RTO office?
There is no legal challan. I think dadu is refering to "ticket" for driving a out state registered vehicle more than the permissible timelines.
Old 4th December 2007, 17:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, if traffic cop catches you, pay the challan, if the RTO guy catches you pay the road tax or grease their palms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
There is no legal challan. I think dadu is refering to "ticket" for driving a out state registered vehicle more than the permissible timelines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks