Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:19   #1
BHPian

Peugeot's second Innings- Welcome back, Not Really!

According to the press, after being absent for over 10 years Peugeot is considering a second entry to India. We all know that they got a few good cars, but I don't think anybody really had forgotten about their last Innings here.

Read the news here.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't know but re-buliding a "failed" brand is not going to be easy. Let's see what more they come up with regards to what products they want to launh, pricing etc. before drawing up a conclusion.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont care how good their cars are (and they arent all that great anyway) - seeing how they left people in the lurch the last time around, there's NO WAY I'd personally buy any of their products.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

I might be the only one talking odd here.

But, i dont actually remember what happened last time. Guess it was before i developed this taste for automobiles. Got to read!
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Then there's the small matter of Peugeot's very unique designs that only France loves.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Then there's the small matter of Peugeot's very unique designs that only France loves.
Actually Peugeot's designs (and some of Citroen's) are pretty good. Its Renault that makes some really queer-looking cars that only the French seem to like.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I dont care how good their cars are (and they arent all that great anyway) - seeing how they left people in the lurch the last time around, there's NO WAY I'd personally buy any of their products.
Isn't it the same with FIAT ? I dont want any fiat wars here, i am just asking, nicely.
Old 4th December 2007, 00:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Isn't it the same with FIAT ? I dont want any fiat wars here, i am just asking, nicely.

Ha ha Did you really mean it ????
Old 4th December 2007, 00:21   #9

Sorry Guys, I may dissapoint you guys .... . but tell you frankly ... <<< I >>> have still not used a car that was similliar to the 309GLD range , in the same range the cars are really fantastic, may be the 309 looked odd those days but really good ones , my family had two of them ... really loved them .... and Peugeot failed not because of the company i suppose but when peugeot lef t they say it was because of the issues created by the then assemblers in maharastra the PAL group .. and so PAL failed tottaly .. and they did a lot of misdoings to all ... and so PEUGEOT fault ... but still had to leave..... this was the news i got those days....
I would surely go in for 206 if launced in India ... it is a really good car.

Note from the Support Staff: Please avoid excessive dots / symbols in post.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2007 at 00:54. Reason: note
Old 4th December 2007, 01:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemac View Post
Sorry Guys, I may dissapoint you guys .... . but tell you frankly ... <<< I >>> have still not used a car that was similliar to the 309GLD range , in the same range the cars are really fantastic, may be the 309 looked odd those days but really good ones , my family had two of them ... really loved them .... and Peugeot failed not because of the company i suppose but when peugeot lef t they say it was because of the issues created by the then assemblers in maharastra the PAL group .. and so PAL failed tottaly .. and they did a lot of misdoings to all ... and so PEUGEOT fault ... but still had to leave..... this was the news i got those days....
I would surely go in for 206 if launced in India ... it is a really good car.

Note from the Support Staff: Please avoid excessive dots / symbols in post.

Common Factor for Both Peugeot and FIAT was PAL and its workforce pangs.
Old 4th December 2007, 02:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well it was 10 years ago but in between they had some detailed talks with TATAs about a JV. It fizzled out because both sides had too much ego and wanted to control the JV.

Guys, keep in mind that Peugeot is the one that designed the excellent diesels in the Fiesta and their cars have historically done well in Africa.

I suggest they start of with the 307 sedan

Last edited by Mpower : 4th December 2007 at 02:48.
Old 4th December 2007, 03:02   #12
BHPian

FIAT never left us ..right?

Quote:
Its PAL that damaged FIAT initially..when UNO was launched..but its sad that that you compared FIAT with Peugeot even after FIAT trying to improve things in India along with TATA.

Old habits never die...isn't it?
Old 4th December 2007, 03:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I suggest they start of with the 307 sedan
Can they price it reasonably and also establish a dealer network to sell it?? Leave along repairing their tarnished reputation.
Old 4th December 2007, 03:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
and their cars have historically done well in Africa.
I was brought up under a palate of 504's, the 505, 305, 405 and even the 404 (in pickup form) in Nigeria. God they were fun to drive (I could drive then! And we lived far away from the big cities), especially the 404 pickups with their tail always loose and the roads mostly being gravel.

Off all these the 405 was the most modern and was quite boring.

Last Peugeot I had savoured was the 406 V6 and it was quite a monster in a different sort of way. (maybe it always screamed in French)

307 would definitely be a good place to start (as that was also the car Tata should have made) but 207 too would be a handsome proposition, albeit a lot of coaxing of the customers to come back to their showroom.

At the end, those who know, have great respect for the Peugeots

Last edited by 1100D : 4th December 2007 at 03:33.
Old 4th December 2007, 04:33   #15
BHPian

I think people who were directly involved in the Peugeot (or PAL, but Peugeot was blamed) scam, would have severe hesitations about becoming their customers.

I remember my father booked one of those 309, but was amongst other who lost all there money. I think Peugeot will have to undertake some serious brand repairing to be perceived as a trustable brand in India. (Remember most people have got no clue about how the company performs elsewhere in the world)

Redcandle
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks