Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safety features in India

Carwale is a pretty amazing site. Its got some nifty features - esp in the area of new car selection. I was doing some basic research there -and I found quite a startling thing.
In the price range of 1L to 10L if I am looking for ANY diesel vehicle that has an A/C and ABS then I have 5 (yes FIVE) choices.
1. Swift VDi
2. Hyundai Verna VGT CRDi ABS
3. Ford Fiesta 1.4 SXi TDCi ABS
4. Hyundai Elantra CRDi Decontent
5. Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 LS TCDi

Now the Chevy is 9.4L ex showroom. So I am guessing its post 10 after tax and everything.

However, the interesting thing is IF I remove the ABS option and then run a search I get - 83 Recommendations.

Interestingly if I run the same search for petrol cars - within 10L i get 25 results.

Now- why would that be? Are we- as a society- callous towards essential safety features as simple as the ABS also? Or is it that if a person is looking at diesel - they need not be worried about safety features? (and mind you - i have set a budget of 10L)

The Cedia comes with ABs and airbags as standard - which I believe is commendable.

Last edited by madan80 : 3rd December 2007 at 22:37.
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:44   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post

Now- why would that be? Are we- as a society- callous towards essential safety features as simple as the ABS also? Or is it that if a person is looking at diesel - they need not be worried about safety features?
I don't think that only Society is to be blamed here.

1. Government should make these mandatory (ABS and Air bags). As far as extra price is considered, it can be offset by 2/3 % duty cut.

2. If not 1 then Car manufacturers should provide at least as an option in all variants of the car and not only in the top variant which in many cases is 1-1.5 L away from base model.

If any or both of these two are implemented then definitely number of people opting for ABS will increase. If not then we should not blame the car buyer for not shelling out extra 1 L especially to buy that high end variant for safety features.
Old 4th December 2007, 19:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction View Post
1. Government should make these mandatory (ABS and Air bags).
I agree with your statement. Only the Government order can change the mentality of car manufacturers of putting safety features only in top variant!!

A salesman explaining about airbags, "Only the difference between with or without airbags is the Price... Most of the times airbags are going unused!!!!!!! so you can go without airbags ..."

Even a sales person can not able to explain the use of airbags to the customer... How can a common man will insist on this?..
Old 4th December 2007, 21:10   #4
BHPian

Most of our people gives preference to Fuel Efficiency than to safety features like ABS. So It is possible only if the government makes ABS as mandatory only.
Old 4th December 2007, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

madan, did you try adding airbags also along with ABS ? I am sure the results would have dwindled further (in both petrol and diesel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
Are we- as a society- callous towards essential safety features as simple as the ABS also?
Yes and add to it ignorance about safety devices + misinformation about them (airbags would deploy just like that and you would need to shell thousands to reinstall it etc etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
Or is it that if a person is looking at diesel - they need not be worried about safety features?
This diesel-petrol disparity could be explained due to the lower cost of diesel in India compared to petrol, which results in most of us opting for diesel cars. This results in a premium on diesel cars and if manufacturers add extras like safety devices to diesel variants, it might not look attractive enough price-wise. And its not just about safety devices - the Verna diesel is supposed to be poorly equipped compared to top-end petrol version.

BTW, instead of Govt intervention requiring cars to have all safety devices in them, it would be better if all manufacturers give the safety devices as options (which the buyer can opt for irrespective of the variant he buys). So, I might not care about A/c and PS in my AltoLX (cheapest variant), but could opt for it to be factory fitted with ABS and airbags, because I value safety. This would ensure that those who value safety can get it without having to pay for all the bells-and-whistles that come with the top-end model.
Old 4th December 2007, 21:59   #6
BHPian

In India, people are still not aware of the advantage of safety features like ABS/Airbags. So even if manufacturers start giving these features as optional, people may not opt for this due to cost factor.
I think this is the time for Govt. to make these features mandatory, as the roads are getting better and better day by day and car manufacturers have also started producing cars with good power.
Old 5th December 2007, 02:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

If someone buys a car and opts for a version without ABS/Airbags, does it mean that he can't afford to pay the extra amount for considerable safety? Now doesn't that sound lame in a way?

I think manufacturers have to make ABS/Airbags standard fitments. They would have it in every car (the same model), so the cost would naturally come down (for them) by economies of scale.
Old 5th December 2007, 09:35   #8
BANNED

I disagree with the opinions here that we do not care for safety. At least, those with experience in owning and driving cars certainly will look for safety features.

I do think that the current practise of manufacturers going in for safety features only in the high end variants should stop.

Ideally, the practise should be (assuming ABS and airbags are not mandated by law):-
1. Variant 1
2. Variant 1 with ABS and airbags.
3. Variant 2 (features of variant 1 + some extras)
4. Variant 2 (features of variant 1 + some extras) + ABS and airbags.

and so on.

Currently, we have ABS and airbags only in the higher version of the highest variant. That is, it goes like "Variant N (features of all variants below + more extras) + ABS and airbags".

Speaking for myself, I may not go for a variant with power windows; but I think variants with ABS and airbags are available only on variants with power windows.
Old 5th December 2007, 10:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Are we- as a society- callous towards essential safety features as simple as the ABS also? Or is it that if a person is looking at diesel - they need not be worried about safety features? (and mind you - i have set a budget of 10L)
You're talking about ABS when they don't even give you Electrically Controlled Outside Rear View Mirrors!!! (E.g. Scorpio, Bolero)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabasheer View Post
Only the Government order can change the mentality of car manufacturers of putting safety features only in top variant!!
Do you expect the Govt. to mandate these when they themselves don't know anything about safety? If they knew much about safety, would you find UN-MARKED road humps, NON-WORKING signals, SENSE-LESS traffic police, BADLY DESIGNED Roads, HAPHAZARD Junctions, IDIOTIC Flyovers etc..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
In India, people are still not aware of the advantage of safety features like ABS/Airbags. So even if manufacturers start giving these features as optional, people may not opt for this due to cost factor.
AWARENESS / COMMON SENSE is a rare commodity here. What we need is an education system where they teach us stuff like "What are DIPPERS for?", "Why shouldn't we run over pedestrians?", "What does a Red Signal mean?", "Why should i brake and pass when i can swerve and flick?", "What are indicators for..and will it affect my mileage if i use them?".

Sorry, i've given up on this country.

Old 5th December 2007, 10:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
You're talking about ABS when they don't even give you Electrically Controlled Outside Rear View Mirrors!!! (E.g. Scorpio, Bolero)
I think a better example would be head restraints! Such a basic, important and inexpensive safety feature, BUT, they are elimated in some versions of several hatches as a luxury item!
Old 5th December 2007, 10:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think a better example would be head restraints! Such a basic, important and inexpensive safety feature, BUT, they are elimated in some versions of several hatches as a luxury item!
Oh my God...you just reminded me something.
Me rear seats don't have them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks