Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 10:24   #346
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my two bits here - im 6 fit 2 inch tall and dont find the scorp cramped either in city or on long distance drives - Ive got long legs and so far, no trouble. Even my Dad who is 6 ft tall found the rear seat (middle row) perfectly comfortable in my 7 seater Scorp.
However, it is true that the Safari is more luxurious in its space for the driver and the middle row etc - but it is the larger of the two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
I still did not understand about buying a SUV based on its city driving capabilities...if I am just looking for a vehicle for city use...i would really prefer a compact car (my preference would be palio/swift)...more comfortable to drive and what not in city...
atleast i think we will be using the LCD and reverse camera more than rain, air indicators...this is what i usually prefer when it comes to gadgets or whatever they are called...
also, a lot of Scorpio owners have agreed that it is a bit cramped for a normal person (height)...while you are finding it comfortable..a bit confused...
Old 16th June 2008, 10:36   #347
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my two bits here - im 6 fit 2 inch tall and dont find the scorp cramped either in city or on long distance drives - Ive got long legs and so far, no trouble.
I have noticed, on several occasion, that even someone who is 5'11" will not fit comfortably in the drivers seat of the Scorpio. You have probably gotten used to it, just like I have to the cramped position of my Mahindra Classic.

But the fact is, the Scorpio does lack space for a car of its category.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:45   #348
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

probably right there
my bolero actually had more legroom in front.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have noticed, on several occasion, that even someone who is 5'11" will not fit comfortably in the drivers seat of the Scorpio. You have probably gotten used to it, just like I have to the cramped position of my Mahindra Classic.

But the fact is, the Scorpio does lack space for a car of its category.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:23   #349
Senior - BHPian

A comparison between safari interior space and scorpio interior space.
I think the scorpio dashboard and seats are too straight than the safaris. the scorpio looks cramped.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-13safari4.jpg  

Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-sc2.jpg  

Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-f_safariinterm_fc98629.jpg  

Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-scor-1.jpg  

Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-rear-legroom.jpg  

Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-rearseat-dvd-screen.jpg  

Old 16th June 2008, 12:25   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Having lot of gizmos on a car that are not useful to everyone apart from a driver is of no use.
Oh sure, and now we can bring a whole lot of luxury vehicles also into the picture, since they pamper their drivers as well. Or is that wrong?
Old 16th June 2008, 12:34   #351
BHPian

Amit, thats a very good comparision on interior space between the two.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:38   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ tsk: hey buddy, i dint drive at 130 kmph for long durations, where in india would you have a road to drive at 130 for a long period? not even the expressway! my normal speed was 90-110 kmph and i got an average of 11.8 kmpl.
no, i have not taken the extended warranty and now i regret it!
what are you requirements from mahindra buddy, may i know?
My requirements are simple
4x4 at a price similar to safari 4x4 EX
I used to own a gypsy. It had a powerful engine, but due to horrendous shape, it used to run out of steam at 100kmph(poor aerodynamics), I hope the scorpio does not have that. On first look safari seems more aerodynamic than scorpio.
You drove VTT at high speed, did it seem more effortless?
My travels involve a lot of NH1, so if due to aerodynamics I lose out 3kmpl on highway its not good(Safari does 14-15kmpl easily on that route, and I am talking 3.0 DICOR!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Amit, thats a very good comparision on interior space between the two.
Photographs can never give the true picture.
Since I drove both of them in a span of 2 days, let me put forward my views. I am 6'2" tall
1. Drivers seat : In the scorpio and safari both my knees touch the steering wheel easily. Not a good thing, because in Indica they don't. However the gear level position in scorpio is better. I had multiple fracture in my shoulder couple of years back, and if gear lever position is not good, my shoulder speaks first. Currently my shoulder likes the gears of scorpio better, even though 1st and 2nd are harder than that of safari
2. Shotgun seat : Safari wins by huge huge huge margin. Scorpio does not stand a chance
3. Middle row : Safari wins here, but even Scorpio was decent. Mahindra has done something there, I don't know what
4. 3rd row : I would like to torture people there, so it does not matter

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th June 2008 at 12:42.
Old 16th June 2008, 15:59   #353
BHPian

If i am noticing it correctly in the pic, the ignition socket is at an angle in the Scorpio which is very good for easy access. In the safari it is flat and hence you need to work a little more to insert the key. Most of my friends who drove my safari also have complained about it. Also i dont understand the need to have a light for the ignition switch which really doesnt help as you cant see the slot sitting in the driver seat.
Old 16th June 2008, 16:05   #354
Senior - BHPian

I dont know how hard it is for Tata to bring the Safari plastic quality to atleast decent levels? They surely lack the will.... some of the parts in the cabin are horrendous quality... they just dont belong in a car, let alone a 10 lakh rupee one.
Old 16th June 2008, 16:11   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
A comparison between safari interior space and scorpio interior space.
I think the scorpio dashboard and seats are too straight than the safaris. the scorpio looks cramped.
Right on point. This (the ignition key holes!!!) one made me run away from safari. This is just one of all. Especially for a vehicle which is sold on the north of 8Lacs, and this is not we people expect.
In that aspect, the scorpio really wins safari. Agreed, i checked EX with scorpio which was on same price.
Old 16th June 2008, 16:28   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Right on point. This (the ignition key holes!!!) one made me run away from safari. This is just one of all. Especially for a vehicle which is sold on the north of 8Lacs, and this is not we people expect.
In that aspect, the scorpio really wins safari. Agreed, i checked EX with scorpio which was on same price.
i think the tatas have made it anti theft. till the time the thief finds the hole, u can go and catch him.
Old 16th June 2008, 23:10   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You drove VTT at high speed, did it seem more effortless?
My travels involve a lot of NH1, so if due to aerodynamics I lose out 3kmpl on highway its not good(Safari does 14-15kmpl easily on that route, and I am talking 3.0 DICOR!)
well, i cant comment on the aerodynamics but the safari felt stable above 110 kmph. its just that there is lot of tyre and wind noise at such speeds. what makes you uncomfortable is the engine noise which it truly coarse and unrefined, sounds as if somebody is pulling its throat out!
if its a 7 seater version, the scorpio has more space in the boot but if its an 8 seater version, the scorpio's 3rd row is cramped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
If i am noticing it correctly in the pic, the ignition socket is at an angle in the Scorpio which is very good for easy access. In the safari it is flat and hence you need to work a little more to insert the key. Most of my friends who drove my safari also have complained about it. Also i dont understand the need to have a light for the ignition switch which really doesnt help as you cant see the slot sitting in the driver seat.
the light of the keyhole is easily visible from the driver's seat if you tilt your head as somebody pointed out, its is angled towards the driver. so when you remote-open the scorpio, the key ignition glows along with the footboard lights and interior lights and as soon as you insert the key and close the door, all the lights dim slowly taking 4-5 seconds, this is what mahindra terms "theatre illumination"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
well, even i noticed this when i sat in the safari. the key hole is placed a bit awkwardly.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th June 2008 at 23:14.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:19   #358
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well, i cant comment on the aerodynamics but the safari felt stable above 110 kmph. its just that there is lot of tyre and wind noise at such speeds. what makes you uncomfortable is the engine noise which it truly coarse and unrefined, sounds as if somebody is pulling its throat out!
Totally incorrect. Safari 2.2 has fantastic smoothness at 5th gear from 90 onwards. As I said earlier the grunt is there in the mid range and then smooths out. The 5th gear comes at 80, at speeds below this it will groan/grunt. The 4th gear is at 40-80 and the 3rd now at 20-60.

Wind noise, is same for both, but they become intrusive at above 120-130 kph. Not below that. Tyre noise with windows up? No way.

If you say like pulling-throat-out-kind-of noise at 110 kph, then it looks like your brother has a defective piece or it has not been maintained properly.

BTW just a discrepancy:

Quote:
all this in a 10 month old car...
Safari 2.2 can be a max of 8 months old as of today date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My requirements are simple
4x4 at a price similar to safari 4x4 EX
Quote:
Lets see what kind of pricing an availability VLS 4x4 comes up with. Mahindra may even launch 4x4 only in VLX, so that would mean scorpio goes out of the window.

Safari 2.2 definitely coarse in the mid region whereas 2.2 Scorpio smooth all through but personally still I would not make it "the point" for a final decision.

Scorpio VLS 4wd with ABS at even a slightly higher price than Safari EX 4wd? Then definitely Scorpio VLS 4wd taking that you can overcome the looks.
Old 17th June 2008, 09:44   #359
Senior - BHPian

Incorrect, In a Scorpio (7 str) if 2 people sit at the back, you have to put the luggage on their laps.

In a safari, you can seat 2 people with luggage kept on the floor or one grown up kid(14-15yrs) can sleep along with the luggage with the seats folded. And I am telling this out of experience.

You can also try this by bringing both the vehicles together side by side and experience the difference.

You just CANNOT beat the Safari in available cabin Space.

The keyhole is placed awkwardly, but I have never missed it except in the Demo.

Quote:
if its a 7 seater version, the scorpio has more space in the boot but if its an 8 seater version, the scorpio's 3rd row is cramped.

the light of the keyhole is easily visible from the driver's seat if you tilt your head as somebody pointed out, its is angled towards the driver. so when you remote-open the scorpio, the key ignition glows along with the footboard lights and interior lights and as soon as you insert the key and close the door, all the lights dim slowly taking 4-5 seconds, this is what mahindra terms "theatre illumination"...

well, even i noticed this when i sat in the safari. the key hole is placed a bit awkwardly.
Old 17th June 2008, 09:54   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Incorrect, In a Scorpio (7 str) if 2 people sit at the back, you have to put the luggage on their laps.

In a safari, you can seat 2 people with luggage kept on the floor or one grown up kid(14-15yrs) can sleep along with the luggage with the seats folded. And I am telling this out of experience.

You can also try this by bringing both the vehicles together side by side and experience the difference.

You just CANNOT beat the Safari in available cabin Space.

The keyhole is placed awkwardly, but I have never missed it except in the Demo.
Its not just the last row but over all safari has more space.
Regarding the keyhole, same here initially for few days i had the problem but now its as easy as with anyother car, i feel its a normal case where in you have got used to a car and in a new car you require sometime to get used to.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks