Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 15:12   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I want to buy the HYBRID Version of the MHAWK Scorpio when it comes out! I am sure there will be many takers for this, going by the review I read in one of the car mags. While it might be quite expensive, this is a very good initiative by M&M and with the way Fuel is becoming scarce and expensive, this would be a good way to the future!
I have said it earlier, I will say it again. To each his own. People will buy the Scorpio or the Safari based on their preference, BUT, my personal opinion is that the Safari is loosing on sales to the Scorpio, not because the Scorpio is a better vehicle, but because of the fact there is a myth in the minds of the Indian public that the A.S.S. of Tata is bad and I agree to this. Also, when we consider the A.S.S. of M&M and Tata, we need to consider that Tata was primarily a company which manufactured goods carriers and passenger carriers (Trucks/Buses/Dumpers) for all its life. The passenger vehicles were introduced very late in the companies product profile. M&M on the other hand, has always been dealing with passenger vehicles and thus its service base was always the family man or the person who would buy a vehicle and will go to its own service center to get it serviced. I agree that the Tata A.S.S. is not at par with the M&M A.S.S. but its getting there.

All the other factors that have been mentioned here and elsewhere relating to the 2 vehicles in question here are a matter of personal preference. We don't have any neutral agency in India to test both the vehicles and rate them as compared to one another and until that happens, we will have results as we have here.

I am now expecting a lot of bashing and counter arguments and I will not be a part of it. I will however, keep a close eye on the proceedings. So, bring it on. :-)
Old 20th June 2008, 15:12   #452
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

suman - again - this is an assumption on your part and a wanton one too-

Since I dont wish to react to your statement in any way, lets just say that both vehicles are pretty tough and durable. Personal experiences are exactly those, personal experiences and no one here has the right to cast aspersions or doubts on another's veracity.

We can swap stories about which vehicle is tougher etc on another thread I guess - lets just remain focussed on whats germane to the issue on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I would say that your guess is fairly accurate - looks like a brush with maybe just the excavator's tyre.

But, since Shankar is saying (albeit in a roundabout way) that all the Safari claims are exaggerated & the Scorpio ones are 100% accurate, I guess you & me must be wrong. Lol

In that case, Shankar, please also set the record staright by asking one of your mates to cut down on the exaggeration. Pardon me, but we are about to throw up. PM me in case you don;t understand which mate I'm referring to.
Well said Sumit.
There is much merit in your post.
Talking of Hybrids, like the Mhawk Hybrid, I believe there is also some development on the Tata front too, in developing a more affordable hybrid technology-this is what a friend of mine told me this morning that he had heard - any clues?
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I have said it earlier, I will say it again. To each his own. People will buy the Scorpio or the Safari based on their preference, BUT, my personal opinion is that the Safari is loosing on sales to the Scorpio, not because the Scorpio is a better vehicle, but because of the fact there is a myth in the minds of the Indian public that the A.S.S. of Tata is bad and I agree to this. Also, when we consider the A.S.S. of M&M and Tata, we need to consider that Tata was primarily a company which manufactured goods carriers and passenger carriers (Trucks/Buses/Dumpers) for all its life. The passenger vehicles were introduced very late in the companies product profile. M&M on the other hand, has always been dealing with passenger vehicles and thus its service base was always the family man or the person who would buy a vehicle and will go to its own service center to get it serviced. I agree that the Tata A.S.S. is not at par with the M&M A.S.S. but its getting there.

All the other factors that have been mentioned here and elsewhere relating to the 2 vehicles in question here are a matter of personal preference. We don't have any neutral agency in India to test both the vehicles and rate them as compared to one another and until that happens, we will have results as we have here.

I am now expecting a lot of bashing and counter arguments and I will not be a part of it. I will however, keep a close eye on the proceedings. So, bring it on. :-)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th June 2008 at 16:56.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:23   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personal experiences are exactly those, personal experiences and no one here has the right to cast aspersions or doubts on another's veracity.
Shankar, please read my post, I think what I've stated below is my opinion
Quote:
I would say that your guess is fairly accurate - looks like a brush with maybe just the excavator's tyre.
Doubts start arising when what appear to be "tall" claims start surfacing. For example - "my Safari has completed 35,000 kms & not a single rattle has appeared, ever, anywhere". Do you agree?

Quote:
We can swap stories about which vehicle is tougher etc on another thread I guess - lets just remain focussed on whats germane to the issue on this thread.
Well, I did contribute with a comparison (M Hawk VLX vs Safari VX) which I thought people did find useful. I didn't start off talking about accidents with an excavator. To me that is a clear "show of strength" kind of thing. I'm also beginning to think that behind all the rational talk, you are also showing a partiality/bias towards......... but I could be wrong
Old 20th June 2008, 16:28   #454
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

cool suman
sounds fair! cheers

Quote:
Shankar, please read my post, I think what I've stated below is my opinion

Doubts start arising when what appear to be "tall" claims start surfacing. For example - "my Safari has completed 35,000 kms & not a single rattle has appeared, ever, anywhere". Do you agree?

Well, I did contribute with a comparison (M Hawk VLX vs Safari VX) which I thought people did find useful. I didn't start off talking about accidents with an excavator. To me that is a clear "show of strength" kind of thing. I'm also beginning to think that behind all the rational talk, you are also showing a partiality/bias towards......... but I could be wrong
Old 20th June 2008, 16:48   #455
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys. Stop this, NOW.

Suman, please... once in a while witty sarcasm sounds nice and refreshing but not always. So there.

And babureddy, dude you are almost trying to burn the house down with your deliberate postings. What was that about a TT hitting your Safari and suffering a dent without causing much damage to your Safari and then your deliberate poking of others as to what would have happened to a Scorpio? You are not at all helping matters. You started this latest fire.

Raj, reign in. You can not always fight battles everywhere. You chose the car on its own merits just as others did so for their own. I am sure proving a point was not there on the agenda when you made the choice. So hold it please.

I hope what I said just now is very very clear to everyone. It has started getting on the nerves now. A healthy debate is fine but no squabbling and fighting please.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th June 2008 at 16:50.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:54   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Ok guys. Stop this, NOW.

Suman, please... once in a while witty sarcasm sounds nice and refreshing but not always. So there.

And babureddy, dude you are almost trying to burn the house down with your deliberate postings. What was that about a TT hitting your Safari and suffering a dent without causing much damage to your Safari and then your deliberate poking of others as to what would have happened to a Scorpio? You are not at all helping matters. You started this latest fire.

Raj, reign in. You can not always fight battles everywhere. You chose the car on its own merits just as others did so for their own. I am sure proving a point was not there on the agenda when you made the choice. So hold it please.

I hope what I said just now is very very clear to everyone. It has started getting on the nerves now. A healthy debate is fine but no squabbling and fighting please.

I've always seen this thread being .

Anyways if its continuing like this, we are going nowhere.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:15   #457
BHPian

Phew!! I just finished reading this thread and Thank Zappo for his moderation. Hey Guys- I took the black VLX ( Scorpio) delivery - Puja on Wednesday due to some auspiciousness of the date and time and left it with the dealer for some formalities. Got a confirmation that VLX is parked in my building parking bay a couple of minutes back by the dealer's driver.

I always wanted to buy a 4*4 and Safari has been the obvious choice. Did I mention that I had voted for Safari in this poll and I ll still vote for it. Head, Heart and all including wallet but the Finance partner ( Tata Capital and TM Finance )at Tata dealer has been giving a miss so many times as I wanted a company lease that I got fed up and bought Scorpio from the M&M dealer next door who I must say have been very prompt ( this car was there in stock so no waiting).

She is waiting at the my place and when I reach home after office in a few hours from now- hope to like it as much( a bird in hand is better than two in bush). Now perhaps this also may be a reason why we see more scorpio's than Safari( at least in my case) and I promise to you all that I won't drive rash and wont dare/ try to bully anyone !!

As far as 4*4 goes, trying to find a reasonably priced one and so far TL4X4 is still an option but the dealer is still slippery - last five calls today - each time I get an answer- sir , will call you in 10 minutes- am I being a pest?

Last edited by shatrughna : 20th June 2008 at 17:23.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:27   #458
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shatrughnacheers:, time for a new ownership thread. Have fun & enjoy driving your new steed!
Old 20th June 2008, 17:32   #459
BANNED

Congrats shatrughna,

Why dont you post some pics of your new ride.

Have fun and safe driving ahead.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:34   #460
BHPian

Congrats shatrughna on the buy Hoping to see the pics of the ride ..
Old 20th June 2008, 17:46   #461
BHPian

Thanks Pavan & Suman. I am yet to see and feel it properly. Will post pics and share experience in the ownership thread as suggested, in a few days. Also thanks to Sameel, Raj and Balan, I am feeling better as I am sure that its as good a vehicle in its own right.
Old 20th June 2008, 18:23   #462
Senior - BHPian

I will add one more factor to this, the SIZE, many people who look at Safari say its huge, how will I drive it on the busy roads and how will I find parking space for it.

On the contrary the Scorpio looks compact and more easier to manage on the roads.

The size is a big deterrent for many people who have not driven bigger vehicles.

Quote:
BUT, my personal opinion is that the Safari is loosing on sales to the Scorpio, not because the Scorpio is a better vehicle, but because of the fact there is a myth in the minds of the Indian public that the A.S.S. of Tata is bad and I agree to this.

Last edited by dadu : 20th June 2008 at 18:34.
Old 20th June 2008, 18:48   #463
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
BUT, my personal opinion is that the Safari is loosing on sales to the Scorpio, not because the Scorpio is a better vehicle, but because of the fact there is a myth in the minds of the Indian public that the A.S.S. of Tata is bad and I agree to this. Also, when we consider the A.S.S. of M&M and Tata.....
Suman, you are absolutely right, I never owned a Tata vehicle, but owning Mahindras from late 80s into the 90s and even now. I do like Safari looks more than Scorpio, similarly one car I liked the most is Marina, but I just dont have the guts to buy it due to horror stories heard from Tata vehicle owners (real owners who I know personally) and workshop fellows who service my Mahindra vehicles. So to an extend your assumption is true. At least that is the case with me. And with Mahindra vehicles A.S.S is not at all great, but the vehicle hardly given us any problems and we continue to buy these because we always had good experience with it. It has taken us from point A to B whenever we required it.
Old 20th June 2008, 20:14   #464
BHPian

Saw a JD power asia pacific study in 08, according to which It appears that Scorpio has more issues compared to safari dicor. Not sure if this is already posted anywhere on Tbhp.

Last edited by chaxy : 20th June 2008 at 20:17.
Old 20th June 2008, 21:51   #465
BHPian

Congrats Shatrughna!! Enjoy your ride and drive safe..

Cheers..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks