View Poll Results: Pick your beast
Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 18:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

The votes are made based on what we see in Safari and what we feel from Scorpio specs. It would make much sense if we vote after test driving both.!
Old 6th December 2007, 19:11   #47
BHPian

Voted for the Safari...dont think Scorpio is even a match in terms of road presence, interior space, ride quality too.
I wish we had an uptuned Innova Inspired SUV in the same price range from Toyota. That may have fired things up. When is Hyundai's SantaFe coming and isnt it in the same price bracket?
Old 6th December 2007, 19:40   #48

If we compare the number of threads that discuss issues with Safari vs (current) Scorpio, would the verdict still be the same? Dont get me wrong, I have almost decided on Scorpio, passing over Safari after reading all the horror stories. I have drive a Santro currently and had fiesta (diesel) for about year and half - except for the routine service, never had any issues. There are not enough good (initial) experiences written about Safari owners.
Old 7th December 2007, 00:24   #49
BHPian

TATA all the way baby !!
Old 7th December 2007, 01:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenk View Post
If we compare the number of threads that discuss issues with Safari vs (current) Scorpio, would the verdict still be the same? Dont get me wrong, I have almost decided on Scorpio, passing over Safari after reading all the horror stories. I have drive a Santro currently and had fiesta (diesel) for about year and half - except for the routine service, never had any issues. There are not enough good (initial) experiences written about Safari owners.
but sir one thing you didn't notice that all safari owners are very happy with their vehicles. even i had some initial problems. but now i know how to live with this beast. for eg one fine morning i cranked it up and then engine refuses to rev up, i turned it off and then pulled out accelerator cable( acc is electronic) and cranked it up again and then after some time again turned it off, acc cabel was put back in its place and problem solved. i know not all can do this but i guess with tata you have to learn these things.

Tata service back up as per my personal experience is very good, rectifications doesn't cost much, in my case haven't paid a penny so far.

Shimla experience was just amazing, dad drove all the way ( i don't know how to drive in hills i was just giving too much power to wheels at slopes). 4x2 impressed me so much, now i'm thinking what 4x4 can do.
Old 7th December 2007, 09:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I have almost decided on Scorpio, passing over Safari after reading all the horror stories. I have drive a Santro currently and had fiesta (diesel) for about year and half - except for the routine service, never had any issues. There are not enough good (initial) experiences written about Safari owners.
What horror stories have you heard mate? Plastics rattling, noises from the doors, engine not cranking what else? I wouldn't call them horror stories though.

I don't want to start a rant on Scorpios as that is not the purpose of this thread but I have heard a few horror stories about those as well. A close friend of mine had a real bad experience that took a good four months of reasoning, shouting & then threatening legal action before the dealer resolved the issue. But then, these are occasional happenings & should not be used as generalizations.
Old 7th December 2007, 09:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, you can hardly find any ownership reports for Scorpio here and that too which keep updating frequently Vs the Safari (did a search).

One of the report also gives you this horror story:

Quote:
Once I had faced a major issue with this engine, it was on my way to Trivandrum from Cochin, after hitting 120 km/h the engine suddenly lacks power and absolutely no response, feels like missing or no fuel supply. I was on the national highway at that time, I pushed the accelerator harder, but of no use. Then I applied the clutch completely and hit the accelerator pedal completely, after some time engine slowly starts responding. This happens 2-3 times that day. I called up Mahindra Service Centre, (TVS Cochin) one guy told me that they have found similar kind of issue with some other customers also (CRDe)
So now after Safari and Scorpio is ruled out due to these horror stories whats your next option ???

Its not my intention here to bog-down safari or scorpio or for that matter any other company but people should be aware that no manufacturer produces 100% of quality cars, there will always be something or the other with each one of them.

Quote:
Old 7th December 2007, 10:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

wow,look at the poll results guys

such an over whelming response in favor of safari 113 vs 12

which actually reinstates the fact that people love Safari more and they are happy with it just like me
Old 7th December 2007, 10:53   #54

Yes, agreed there are not many ownership reports for Scorpio.. perhaps most of them are being used for business travel or govt, who dont post here or not bothered about such issues. I dont expect either of them to be 100% problem free.

However, more than plastics etc, there are threads that describe experiences where a relatively new car just broke down. Other cases may be just PDI, if I can categorize it that way. Maybe there is a need for Happy Safari Owners thread to post good things about safari, outside of the context of ownership reports that seem to discuss common problems and experiences.

Anyways, I have decided to TD the EX tomorrow, lets see what happens... its between the two for me, ruled out Innova.
Old 7th December 2007, 11:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

hmmm...another scorpio bashing thread..eh?? hehehe
Old 7th December 2007, 11:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe there is a need for Happy Safari Owners thread to post good things about safari, outside of the context of ownership reports that seem to discuss common problems and experiences.
No offense but maybe you need to shake off the lethargy and read the long term ownership reports (as in the really long term ones) in earnest & in full - there's many a happy story out there and LOADS of good things about the vehicle that have been described

And I have my own opinions about bracketing the Innova with the Scorpio & the Safari - but that's a different discussion altogether!
Old 7th December 2007, 12:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Pot calling the Kettle black?
Lets get real, both Safari and Mahindra have serious quality issues.
A close friend on this forum had the clutch assembly changed. His oil leak problem took months to solve. Even now his safari rpm accelerates but the speed remains same. Severe clutch slip. He is cursing himself for buying a safari.

A cousin of mine is with Mahindra. The timing chain snapped at 25k kms. Vehicle was outside warranty(his is a low city run vehicle). He curses mahindra and says that his 2 indigo's never gave any problem till 80K kms(point at which he sold them).

So on a quality front there is not much to choose from. Both safari and scorpio are similar. If you are lucky your dashboard will rattle. If you are unlucky your engine will blow up(and you tried to save money by not taking extended warranty).

But still its like the Bullet. Piece of junk but you still love it and adore it. That thump always puts a smile to your face.
So in mastercard style
1. Engine Fell off : Rs 100000
2. Car caught fire : Rs 200000
3. The look on the Auto wallahs face when he sees the bull bar 2 inches from his nose : Priceless
Old 7th December 2007, 12:15   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
3. The look on the Auto wallahs face when he sees the bull bar 2 inches from his nose : Priceless
The bullbar could be mounted on either the Safari or the Scorpio, right?
Old 7th December 2007, 12:20   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The bullbar could be mounted on either the Safari or the Scorpio, right?
Well the entire post was for both Scorpio and Safari
Old 7th December 2007, 12:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are unlucky your engine will blow up(and you tried to save money by not taking extended warranty).
Poetic license?

Quote:
Piece of junk but you still love it and adore it.
Not sure how Bullet owners will take this, but calling either of the two vehicles here a piece of junk is quite an overkill, besides the fact that it is a provocative statement in a thread that is already finely balanced between (heated) opposing views.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th December 2007 at 12:44.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed