Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 22:05   #121
Senior - BHPian

Safari scores on the following points:
Safari is designed ground up as an suv whic reflects in its dimensions.
Space
Ride & Comfort
Comfortable cruising ability
Suspension
Engine power(stock 2.2- im sure Peted 2.2 would go to 180bhp)
Kit(goodies) for the price
Very good shoulder & elbow room for all occupants( read - not crammed)

Scorpio is more like an effort to make an suv out of carlike dimensions.
Its crammed for space.
Ride is BAD especially unladen with just driver/ 2 occupants.
Not composed on highways or rough roads.
Suspension is not confidence inspiring.
Engine power - is less than the Safari. (in stock form)
Poor shoulder & elbow room.

Since both vehicles are in various stages of continuous evolution the debate may never end.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:07   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even if entire vote was in safari's figure, and Mahindra was getting more sales, they would not care.
In the end selling a scorpio is what makes them money, not how many votes does it get.

Thats because Scorpio has these versions like the M2DI and what not, that gives them the numbers.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:16   #123
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio

The basic chassis of Safari is now quite old and simply put, Safari does not feel as well built as Scorpio.

Safari Positive points:
Great space.
Great cruiser.
Great engine.

Safari Negative points.
Boat like handling.
Old chassis that simply shows its age.
Lot of uneven tyre wear.
Rubber and plastic parts needs improvement.

Scorpio Positive Points:
Good for city use.
Better built.
Modern Chassis ( though handling is poor)
Price.

Scorpio Negative points:
Handling is worst than Titanic.
Its way too much cramped.

Eventually Scorpio wins because of mainly price and better or rather more solid built. Plus its great or much better than Safari in the city. Both of them are boats as far as handling is considered.
Old 18th April 2008, 10:34   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The basic chassis of Safari is now quite old and simply put, Safari does not feel as well built as Scorpio.

Scorpio Positive Points:

Modern Chassis ( though handling is poor)
Price.

Scorpio Negative points:
Handling is worst than Titanic.

How to realize/indentify the Chasis old or new?
Which SUV (in India) has best handling?
Old 18th April 2008, 11:05   #125
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

hi
point taken about voice assist reminders etc - but when one has been driving for about 22 years, certain things are automatic - safety belts for example - it would be silly not to use them when they are there. But I certainly dont require voice assist reminders for that!
Rear wiper I appreciate - de-fogger is not used in normal conditions - largely it is used in the hills or during rainy weather when everything fogs up!
However I am used to my old Amby and MM540 etc which we used to have when we lived in the hills and believe me, despite all the disadvantages like no rear wiper, defogger, old soft top with lousy visibility at the rear and no seat belts etc, we got around pretty much everywhere and responsibly too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
hi shankar, I am sure you are enjoying your new ride as i can see her in all scorpio related threads.

Some how i disagree with the points which you have mentioned here. For me that soft gold cladding looks great & gives an upmarket feel to the scorp. I know beauty is in the eyes of....

Read lot about the nuisance caused by the Voice Assist system, in the forum. I feel this as a very useful feature. i dont keep her idle for more than 12 hours mostly & i dont get to hear the welcome message. You will not hear any of the messages if you comply with the basic requirements or statutory rules. when you break a rule why get agitated when someone points it out? Like driving with the handbrake on or an open door or without wearing the seat belts, or even without fuel

I do agree that the frills like rain sensors, light sensors, cruise control, tyretronics are useless but what do you think about a rear defogger or a rear wiper?

I too feel that its 140 bhp detuned to 120 bhp. Not 180.
Old 18th April 2008, 11:48   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Both safari & scorpio have the same ladder frame chassis design... so which one is old. either both are old and outdated or both are modern?

Safari Positive points:
Great space.
Great cruiser.
Great engine.

Safari Negative points.
Boat like handling.
Lot of uneven tyre wear >> Not anymore my friend - to the best of my knowledge that was the bane of the old version sumo & safari. the problem has been sorted long ago.
Rubber and plastic parts needs improvement.

Scorpio Positive Points:
Good for city use.
Better built.
Modern Chassis >> in what way is it modern? ( though handling is poor)
Price.

Scorpio Negative points:
Handling is worst than Titanic.(that means its worse than a boat - read Safari)
Its way too much cramped.

Eventually Scorpio wins because of mainly price(the price of the safari 2.2 is cheaper than the 2.2 scorpio) and better or rather more solid built. Plus its great or much better than Safari in the city. Both of them are boats as far as handling is considered.
My views are in bold.
Old 18th April 2008, 11:59   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Lot of uneven tyre wear.
That is past history, Sir. Even the 3L which was the previous model of Safari does not have eneven tyre wear.
Old 18th April 2008, 14:17   #128
BHPian

none of our safari have the tyre wear problem.This has long back been rectified by TATA's
Old 21st April 2008, 10:59   #129
BHPian

I am still not able to decide between Scorpio 2.6or VLX and Safari VTT 2.2 EX 4X4. Its like being caught between devil and the deep sea. Only difference is that both are equally attractive in their own propositions. Which one- the first question needs to be answered is which one between scorpio and Safari and then if scorpio then 2.6 SLX or VLX? Thankfully Sumo Grande is out of favour now( due to Safari and not scorpio)

Any opinions/ suggestions are welcome.
Old 21st April 2008, 11:38   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post

Any opinions/ suggestions are welcome.
One more question worth asking is: if you are buying for the long term then can can you live with the car in terms of its looks and your image. I mean.... for me.. it will be unbearable to see myself geting in and out of a sumo grande everyday since i dont like the look of it(for me it will be a compromise). The scorpio is ok to look at and the safari in my opinion has the styling that will not be an eyesore for me even if it became another decade old.
Old 21st April 2008, 16:59   #131
BHPian

The results of this poll look very much in favor of 2.2 safari.

i too voted for it as its obvious that i own a 2.2.
But all said and done i like both the cars, in fact i used to have a bolero which is a MM.

IMHO anyone who wants to use a SUV for city driving conditions on a regular basis, the safari is ruled out. Reasons - very difficult to park in most regular places like theaters, malls etc, Turning radius is so huge that u will end up creating a traffic jam everyday. Scorpio is much better tamed for city driving and all round visibility is much better.

So why did i go for the 2.2 ?? i have a ford ikon for all those city driving

A good friend once told me - "If you have Rs10 lak budget then buy a safari lx 2.2 for long drives and book the Nano with what ever thats left for the city driving"
Old 4th June 2008, 18:07   #132
BHPian

Safari 2.2 / Scorpio mHWK problems??

All,
Read lot about the comparisons of both of these so called SUVs. I am getting confused.
I have some questions to owners / users of Safari 2.2 and Scorpio mHWK.

1. What are the problems you are facing?
2. How many times the vehicle visited workshop?
3. Expenditure per year (spares / service cost)?
4. Service quality?
5. Do you still have the same exitement as the day you booked it?
6. Any breakdowns?
7. Any known issues?

Thank you very much.
Biju
Old 4th June 2008, 18:56   #133
jp1
BHPian

What can we expect from this poll? There is no need for this thread as poll result can be guessed the moment the thread was started. It is going to be Safari.

But take a look at the sales figures of Safari Vs Scorpio. That proves who won the battle, and that is the VFM vehicle for the bulk of the users out there. We can keep praising our respective vehicle, end of the day the number matters.

Last edited by jp1 : 4th June 2008 at 18:57.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:30   #134
LLL
BHPian

i voted for scorpio. i dont own either and wont own either till they are replaced with a better product.

I think scorpio is better from an overall package perspective. Its easier to drive, has better interiors and is built better. its ride/braking and space needs improvements and thats why i dont own one.

Same is the case with 4 other office colleagues. They all TD'ed safari for its outer looks, but rejected it for its interiors, build quality and ofcourse tata sales experience.

EDIT: If tatas seriously want to sell safaris, they should only manufacture the engine and ask Hyundai or maruti or toyota or honda to manufacture the rest of the car, sell it & service it as well.

Last edited by LLL : 4th June 2008 at 19:35.
Old 4th June 2008, 23:00   #135
BHPian

I voted for Scorpio

Currently I don't own any of them, but had own Scorpio previously.
Mine was the 3rd Scorpio in NCR when it was introduced in the market few years back

The SUV that time just had the turbo diesel engine. We used the car for almost 2 years (City and Highway) and drove it around 1.2 Lac Kms. The had some handling and breaking problems but despite of all that we didn't had any such big problems with it. The maintance was also very affordable.

No one will believe if I will say that the tyres of the SUV were still good even after 1.2 Lac Kms on the meter.

It was a fantastic product and me and my father even after 4 yrs of selling it, still remember that SUV

Safari is also a good fantastic product but it feels like you are driving a tank in City
The space is so good in a manner that u feel that you are sitting on a Sofa but despite of all this its still a Tata
Closed Thread

Most Viewed