View Poll Results: Pick your beast
Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 13:16   #136
Senior - BHPian

we have both the scorpio 2.2 as well as the safari 2.2 (thats my cousin's) and very often i get to drive the safari 2.2 and frankly even though it has got 140 bhp against 120 bhp of scorpio, its still feels lazy at low revs. the scorpio is quite a performer from low revs and this helps in city traffic. also, the safari is not as refined as the scorpio.
but i do appreciate the safari for its space and ride quality.
as far as looks are concerned, i prefer the scorpio. build quality is again better in the scorpio. moreover my cousin's 8 month old safari has been to the service centre thrice and its not for routine services! such small niggling issues keeps me away from the beast.
so my vote goes for the scorpio as i would prefer to compromise on a little space than being stranded in the middle of nowhere and scratching my head!
Old 5th June 2008, 13:18   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats because Scorpio has these versions like the M2DI and what not, that gives them the numbers.
i beg to differ. the scorpio's highest selling variants are the SLX and the VLX and next comes the DX. the M2DI is the slowest selling variant which can be found only in rural areas as it is not BS-III compliant.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hi
point taken about voice assist reminders etc - but when one has been driving for about 22 years, certain things are automatic - safety belts for example - it would be silly not to use them when they are there. But I certainly dont require voice assist reminders for that!
Rear wiper I appreciate - de-fogger is not used in normal conditions - largely it is used in the hills or during rainy weather when everything fogs up!
However I am used to my old Amby and MM540 etc which we used to have when we lived in the hills and believe me, despite all the disadvantages like no rear wiper, defogger, old soft top with lousy visibility at the rear and no seat belts etc, we got around pretty much everywhere and responsibly too!
hey, if the voice assist system bothers you, you can switch off selected commands or all the commands by a switch in the glovebox! there will be reminders only in the instrument console then. no voice to disturb your driving!
Old 5th June 2008, 13:34   #139
Senior - BHPian

and lastly, i do feel the handling of the hawk is better than the VTT. the scorpio rolls a lot less now and keeps its line during hard cornering.
but for me, nothing can match the ride quality of the safari, not even the innova.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:40   #140
BANNED

Nothing handles or commands road presence like the Safari

Scorpio good - but.... doesnt appeal(My Opinion)

Safari
---Best looks
---Better Engine
---Best ride
---Best comfort
---Best Space inside
---Better road presence
---Best suspension

Scorpio---
Doesnt score in any of the above points over a safari. Even tough its a good CAR.

Hey .. hey.. The poll indicator shows it all(Astounding 83%) Whoa..., sorry no comments from me anymore.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 5th June 2008 at 13:43.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Hey .. hey.. The poll indicator shows it all(Astounding 83%) Whoa..., sorry no comments from me anymore.
thats because 83% of SUV owners in t-bhp own safari and only 17% own scorpios.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
thats because 83% of SUV owners in t-bhp own safari and only 17% own scorpios.
You mean we have 264 Safari owners on the forum?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:05   #143
Team-BHP Support

This poll is about preference, not ownership.
The number of Safari's is more than scorpio on the forum, but certainly not 264
Old 5th June 2008, 14:08   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
In one of this month's auto magazines there is a comparion between the 2.2 Safari and the 2.2 Scorpio. The magazine has given the Scorpio 4/5 stars, while the Safari got 3.5/5.
No wonder i forgot the name of the magazine
the magazine's name is autocar india. you will find the same result in motoring and overdrive too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
It seems majority of us seem to love Safari and no wonder the poll stats show this. Hope Mahindras wake up to this fact that there is something missing despite the better sales figures. Unless they just dont care.
manufacturers make cars to sell and not to increase their poll counts! so why should they care?
and anyways, comparing the sales figures of scorpio and safari, there is definetely something good in the scorpio that indians have loved it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
once drive the scoprio and then drive a safari later on you will struggle to find the power...

once a situation came when a safari fellow fully loaded with occupants came to race with my scprio even mine was fully loaded...
at 130 speed i passed from him..and that fellow was shocked..he struggled so much but couldnt catch me.....

This is what scorpio is it delivers the power that a safari can not....this is what makes people buy it cause of its power......
in complete agreement with you !!!

Note from mod: Please use multi quote function when replying to multiple posts

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th June 2008 at 14:20.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:21   #145
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

good one Raj
i think the car magazines shootouts are pretty good unbiased and from the point of view of professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the magazine's name is autocar india. you will find the same result in motoring and overdrive too!
Old 5th June 2008, 14:24   #146
BHPian

buy a safari
trade the safari engine for a mhawk engine and that should be it.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:28   #147
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

so much water under the bridge eh boys?

suggest let those who like Safari's buy them - and those who like Scorpio's likewise

after all they are more or less priced similarly - each individual will make his/ her own decision no matter what we all may say to each other and fight over.

Maybe the Mods should shut down this Safari vs Scorpio thing - might be better for everyone's peace of mind.

Hardcore fanatics of either brand will simply never find common ground to meet, IMHO, going by the various threads on this site, which somehow land up dealing with the same topic!
Old 5th June 2008, 14:29   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
there is definetely something good in the scorpio that indians have loved it so much.
I think that's easy - it sells in large numbers because a lot of women prefer it over the Safari. Takes up lesser space on the road, hence easier to handle for them. Oh yes, a lot of men prefer it for this reason too. Also, because it projects a "car" image despite the fact that it is bigger than a car. Definitely easier to get into cramped parking lots.

The Safari is not a car for the masses as the sales numbers may show - it has a niche group that buys it, road presence, power & ride comfort are high on their list.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:30   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think that's easy - it sells in large numbers because a lot of women prefer it over the Safari.
Suman, now dont you think thats taking this whole thing a bit too far?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:35   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Suman, now dont you think thats taking this whole thing a bit too far?
Benny, trust me on this one. Two families that we are very close to have Scorpios, one have just taken their second Scorpio in a row. The wives swear by the reason why when compared to the Safari.

I don't know about Bangalore but here in the NCR, you see so many women driving Scorpios (some of them quite spiritedly lol!), hardly any driving Safaris. I think its the number of women who make the difference
Closed Thread

Most Viewed