Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 14:42   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Benny, trust me on this one. Two families that we are very close to have Scorpios, one have just taken their second Scorpio in a row. The wives swear by the reason why when compared to the Safari.

I don't know about Bangalore but here in the NCR, you see so many women driving Scorpios (some of them quite spiritedly lol!), hardly any driving Safaris. I think its the number of women who make the difference
I don't know what other women may prefer but my Woman prefers and swears by the Safari. So much so that she turned a once hardcore Scorpio supporter into a Safari fanatic (even though I have not sat in a Safari in my life and have relatively abused a relative's Scorpio to my heart's content). If I would mention the Scorpio, she would frown! Now, whenever God almighty blesses us with the ability to buy a vehicle, it will be the Safari in all its glory

Last edited by SumitB : 5th June 2008 at 14:43.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:44   #152
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about Bangalore but here in the NCR, you see so many women driving Scorpios (some of them quite spiritedly lol!), hardly any driving Safaris. I think its the number of women who make the difference
Even I have seen women driving Scorpios gracefully in Bangalore too, now I think it's thier mentality to look in for smaller cars, compared to Safari Scorpio's presence in the road is limited, hence they prefer Scorpio over Safari, well that's a perception

Another perception, is that if the polling option might have been like first Scorpio then Safari, then votes might have casted over Scorpio, all mind's doing.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:46   #153
Senior - BHPian

@Suman

Dada you are absolutely spot on,seen lot of women driving scorps but still to see one driving safari in ncr.

but my GF is a huge safari fan just like me and she often wonders (while we are on drives )why the scorp guys try to race with us.

LOL
Old 5th June 2008, 14:47   #154
Team-BHP Support

To look at it very objectively, The scorpio has quite a few advantages of Safari
1. Reported issues on Scorpio have been less than the Safari. Now Scorpio is not entirely trouble free, but safari will give slightly more issues on average
2. Scorpio is more maneuverable
3. The new scorpio can handle better, esp on smaller mountain roads its easier to chuck around
4. Lighter weight makes it peppier.

that said Safari wins hand down in comfort and straight line stability.

But a SUV purchase is seldom objective, and there is a huge "Image" factor.
On that front, in terms of on road presence, the Safari wins hands down.

So even though Scorpio may score 4.5, Safari's 3.5 is enough for most people.
But when Safari was 2.5(TCIC) or 3.0(DICOR v1) the scorpio was clearly leagues ahead
The 2.2 has narrowed the gap.
The scorpio 2.2 could have been a step forward, but they bungled the pricing/
Old 5th June 2008, 14:51   #155
BHPian

based on all above posts and alot of forum masala on safari vs scorpio.

scorpio is more associated with cab owners??? one reason reliability,
FE- this is Scoripios plus in actual
Luxury or call it comfort under the Mahindra brands - Mahindra commander / Bolero to now SCORPIO

you would rarely see a safari doing the cab trips i guess
soft ride - expensive suspension parts
engine - turbo lag, costly maintenace after the warranty period spares
quality - not seen but think it should be better than scorpio and so fleet owners wont like to see upholstery cut, broken plastic etc - costly fix

for price - cost of one safari top end version = two sumo cost

unless the cab operator is a retard would he buy a safari to ferry people.

most airport pickups / dropoffs are Innova Scorpio Tavera Sumo relaibility and cost effective.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 5th June 2008 at 14:53.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:56   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I don't know what other women may prefer but my Woman prefers and swears by the Safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
but my GF is a huge safari fan just like me and she often wonders (while we are on drives )why the scorp guys try to race with us.
Guys, its good to see that like us, our better halves (or soon to be better halves) are also on the same page, with same preferences
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Very well said Tanveer, I also agree with you that the MHawk pricing has been a major step backward for Mahindra.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:01   #157
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

TSK
You are correct in saying this.
I think I would add that in buying a vehicle like a Safari, Scorpio or Endeavour or Pajero or Tucson or whatever, there is a highly intangible "heart over head" involved in the decision making process.
Also probably one of the reasons why it appears that Scorpio vs Safari owners often are at loggerheads on T BHP.
Whatever said and done - to each his/ her own.

Quote:
But a SUV purchase is seldom objective..
Old 5th June 2008, 15:02   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
buy a safari
trade the safari engine for a mhawk engine and that should be it.
This crossed my mind a hundred times in the last 3 weeks but not able to secure a MHawk engine which can be easily fitted in safari4*4 and two workshops I hesitatingly asked, scared me away and M&M workshop is not willing to sell me Mhawk engine alone.

Please, help me if you can by suggesting how can this be done economically( within 12-13 lakhs) - new 4*4 body and mhawk engine. I was also thinking that why not buy a mhawk, rip off the front seats and side mirrors and retrofit- roof mounted ac, electric orvms, and seat height adjustments- but then airbags, ebd , ba still missing apart from 4*4 tranny.

If I buy VX 4*4 Safari, then I get most, but not tyretronic and cruise control and it also doesnt have left foot rest( driver).
So we may have a poll whether its better to buy a safari and transplant scorpio's engine and features or vice versa ( catch22 situation).
Old 5th June 2008, 15:10   #159
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

know what?
since you appear to have sufficient Vitamin M, why not just go and buy yourself the new 3 litre Endy?
You might end up having more fun and since it will be one factory created monster, you will be atleast sure that you havent created your own Frankenstein by trying to do all those retrofit thingys from two essentially differently engineered vehicles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
This crossed my mind a hundred times in the last 3 weeks but not able to secure a MHawk engine which can be easily fitted in safari4*4 and two workshops I hesitatingly asked, scared me away and M&M workshop is not willing to sell me Mhawk engine alone.

Please, help me if you can by suggesting how can this be done economically( within 12-13 lakhs) - new 4*4 body and mhawk engine. I was also thinking that why not buy a mhawk, rip off the front seats and side mirrors and retrofit- roof mounted ac, electric orvms, and seat height adjustments- but then airbags, ebd , ba still missing apart from 4*4 tranny.

If I buy VX 4*4 Safari, then I get most, but not tyretronic and cruise control and it also doesnt have left foot rest( driver).
So we may have a poll whether its better to buy a safari and transplant scorpio's engine and features or vice versa ( catch22 situation).
Old 5th June 2008, 15:13   #160
Senior - BHPian

I don't know you guys will believe or not but it's my wife only who always push to me towards buying a safari (particularly) rather any SUV. Every time i try to project her toward GM Captiva or Hyundai Tucson, her only plea is to look at absence of road presence in the said cars.

Sheer size and road presence definetly makes it one of the ladies favorite. You might call it "heart over head", but this is what we Indians are.

Cheers
Old 5th June 2008, 15:17   #161
BHPian

So we may have a poll whether its better to buy a safari and transplant scorpio's engine and features or vice versa ( catch22 situation).[/quote]

It should be either a SAFARI or nothing (same goes for a Scorpio). I know Safari is not 100% there, but hey we still love it. Improvement is always good and welcomed. But mixing the two. No way.

I love my black beast (2.2 Vx) and will not mix it with anything.

Recently I was called by the Tata guys and was told of a upgrade for the pully. Did it. Ever since that day the virbrating & noise when accelerating from low speed on 3rd gear has gone. I am liking it even more now.

If only this could have been done earlier. My was a vehical from the first lot.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:23   #162
BHPian

Talking about SUV here. I read a few months back that in the US, over 40% of SUV sales are from women especially single women and women with kids. The reason is that women feel more secured in a SUV.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:40   #163
BHPian

Safari has always been known for its frozen aura as compared to Scorpio, which might have been the cause for "Women" preferring Sympathetic Scorpio....so they can pronounce......
Old 5th June 2008, 16:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
know what?
since you appear to have sufficient Vitamin M, why not just go and buy yourself the new 3 litre Endy?
You might end up having more fun and since it will be one factory created monster, you will be atleast sure that you havent created your own Frankenstein by trying to do all those retrofit thingys from two essentially differently engineered vehicles!
I dint like endy due to its huge size( almost looks like a train compartment from driver seat) and too long clutch pedal, no driver seat height adjustment and the price- my stretch is max upto Safari and more importantly, I dont want to pay higher price merely because of import duty.
Have to choose between Safari & Scorpio only and wish Safari had Mhawk( Bosch ) engine with gizmos that scorpio offers or Scorp had 4*4, EBD,BA,seat height adjustment and electrical ORVMs only.
Old 5th June 2008, 16:09   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that's easy - it sells in large numbers because a lot of women prefer it over the Safari. Takes up lesser space on the road, hence easier to handle for them. Oh yes, a lot of men prefer it for this reason too. Also, because it projects a "car" image despite the fact that it is bigger than a car. Definitely easier to get into cramped parking lots.

The Safari is not a car for the masses as the sales numbers may show - it has a niche group that buys it, road presence, power & ride comfort are high on their list.
i dint get u! when both cars are priced similarly, whats with this "niche group"?? i mean, when i can afford a 10 lakh scorpio, why cant i buy a safari? if people are choosing a scorpio over the safari, especially when both are similar in pricing, it definetely means the SCORPIO is for the masses and not the safari.

Quote:
To look at it very objectively, The scorpio has quite a few advantages of Safari
1. Reported issues on Scorpio have been less than the Safari. Now Scorpio is not entirely trouble free, but safari will give slightly more issues on average
2. Scorpio is more maneuverable
3. The new scorpio can handle better, esp on smaller mountain roads its easier to chuck around
4. Lighter weight makes it peppier.

But when Safari was 2.5(TCIC) or 3.0(DICOR v1) the scorpio was clearly leagues ahead
The 2.2 has narrowed the gap.
The scorpio 2.2 could have been a step forward, but they bungled the pricing/
i agree to you, but the road presence factor is highly subjective.
there is a huge difference in the hawk and VTT in terms of refinement and power delivery, the scorpio being on the better side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
based on all above posts and alot of forum masala on safari vs scorpio.

scorpio is more associated with cab owners??? one reason reliability,
FE- this is Scoripios plus in actual
Luxury or call it comfort under the Mahindra brands - Mahindra commander / Bolero to now SCORPIO

you would rarely see a safari doing the cab trips i guess
soft ride - expensive suspension parts
engine - turbo lag, costly maintenace after the warranty period spares
quality - not seen but think it should be better than scorpio and so fleet owners wont like to see upholstery cut, broken plastic etc - costly fix

for price - cost of one safari top end version = two sumo cost

unless the cab operator is a retard would he buy a safari to ferry people.

most airport pickups / dropoffs are Innova Scorpio Tavera Sumo relaibility and cost effective.
i have rarely seen scorpio cabs in my city. the reason being they are not spacious and fuel efficient. cab owners dont care a damn about power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Safari has always been known for its frozen aura as compared to Scorpio, which might have been the cause for "Women" preferring Sympathetic Scorpio....so they can pronounce......
"Sympathetic" scorpio
scorpios are not piling up in mahindra's stockyard!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed